New Orange UK ROM - OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08

Guest Arr Too

Guest Arr Too
Have you looked at init.rc....

Cool! I thought there might be a simple explanation (but was hoping it would be evidence for the Orange "settings changed" thing...).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Arr Too
not really needed, since init.rc does that.

Weird. I definitely had real issues with AndRoot-ing messing up my wifi (and not properly rooting) on the first version, and the R2 was fine.

I'm interested in why you changed the permissions on ip-up-vpn to 0555 from 04755 ?

Because that's what it is in the original system.img. But it does look like only one or two of them are real differences -- whether either of those caused my rooting issues is very unclear, though. ;)

Guest Sebastian404
Weird. I definitely had real issues with AndRoot-ing messing up my wifi (and not properly rooting) on the first version, and the R2 was fine.

Because that's what it is in the original system.img. But it does look like only one or two of them are real differences -- whether either of those caused my rooting issues is very unclear, though. ;)

Well the one thing that you do change is:

set_perm 1010 1010 0550 SYSTEM:etc/init.qcom.sdio.sh

But looking at that, its not going to actually do anything, since its looking for 3 specific devices, none of them 'blade'.

Of course failing to run might cause other issues too I guess..

Guest Arr Too
But looking at that, its not going to actually do anything

Odd! ;)

And those changes are in the original ROM's init.rc too, aren't they? I suppose a big question is why they felt the need to do it that way, rather than have things set properly in the first place?

# tongcd , temp enable exec right for all prog , MUST remove before release it

:P

Guest Arr Too

I've been running this ROM fairly bare for most of yesterday and overnight, and so far I've not had the wifi issue. But I remember that wifi was fine before I installed an app that did notifications. The first time I got the issue was when I enabled them in Wordfeud, and then after a clean re-install I got the wifi issue again when I installed TweetCaster (which has notifications on by default). So I've just activated Wordfeud's notifications to see if things change today.

Guest oh!dougal

Two observations to throw into the discussion.

The older stock Orange rom told Androot that it was "already rooted" -- but the advice has always been to get Androot to root it again.

Androot is initially being misled by something its testing for in the stock rom.

Saying 'never mind that, get on and root it for me' does do the business.

Wifi -- Androot killed my wifi the first time I used it on my then-stock original Orange rom.

Specifically, that was using the latest (beta) version, and asking for a 'soft root' (until reboot).

Seeing wifi disappear, I thought "problem!" rebooted, saw wifi reappear, and then went back, got the non-beta 1.6.1 (without soft root) and just used that version ...

So, in discussion of Androot/Universal Root, it looks to me like its important to distinguish versions (and maybe soft rooting).

I just presumed that the wifi thing was the sort of coder's error that one might encounter in a Beta.

Or is there more to it than that?

Guest oh!dougal
I've been running this ROM fairly bare for most of yesterday and overnight, and so far I've not had the wifi issue. But I remember that wifi was fine before I installed an app that did notifications. ...

The "feel" that I have for the wifi reconnection difficulty is that its down to a timing issue, and that the critical timing varies with how much the thing is trying to do pseudo-simultaneously when it comes out of sleep. The more it has to do, the greater the chance of reconnection failing. And for most people, it is a chance/probability thing, which is indicative of a timing issue.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Kthulhu
Two observations to throw into the discussion.

The older stock Orange rom told Androot that it was "already rooted" -- but the advice has always been to get Androot to root it again.

This happens to me - androot said is rooted but really it was not. After my last rooting withandroot beta 1.6 Adfree and superuser works always fine but titanium+busybox worked yesterday but not today. I think there is something in the new orange stock rom that mislead/confuse/complicate rotting.

Hope his help you guys to find and easy and robust way of rooting the new orange rom.

Guest Sebastian404
This happens to me - androot said is rooted but really it was not. After my last rooting withandroot beta 1.6 Adfree and superuser works always fine but titanium+busybox worked yesterday but not today. I think there is something in the new orange stock rom that mislead/confuse/complicate rotting.

Hope his help you guys to find and easy and robust way of rooting the new orange rom.

Without looking into it that much...

the big problem I had with titanium backup and the de-oranged ROM, was that I included that stock version of SU, and it works quite well, but its not the EXACT version titaninum backup is looking for...

my advice would be to remove su and busybox from /system/bin.. THEN try androot...

Guest Arr Too
The "feel" that I have for the wifi reconnection difficulty is that its down to a timing issue, and that the critical timing varies with how much the thing is trying to do pseudo-simultaneously when it comes out of sleep.

Well, that was a quick test! It's immediately caused the wifi bug. I suspect this might be reproducible, and I have a backup from before turning on Wordfeud's notifications, so anyone got any ideas what I might be able to do to narrow exactly what happens? Is there a log somewhere? (From memory, turning off the notifications doesn't "fix" it back to being good, so it's something 'permanent' that has now changed on my system.)

Guest leftofcentre

This is a very newbie question but will orange not be making this available for existing users? How do you check for new software versions?

Thanks

Brian

Edited by leftofcentre