For those a few weeks in with their Vega

Guest griff_dai

Guest griff_dai

To all those a few weeks in, either with the MoDaCo Rom or stock Rom, how do you find the device???

I have to wait to that big fat jolly bloke arrives on the 25th to get mine (GF's pressie to me) so I was wondering how people are using their's and if it has replaced a desktop or laptop as their web browsing choice!

I and i'm sure people waiting for their's would appreciate the thought's of all the actual user's out their!

Dai

Guest JingleManSweep

It isn't perfect, but I really love my Vega. It has replaced my laptop for 99% of browsing and surfing activities. If I have to write a long email or document, I will either switch on the laptop or go use the server in the other room.

With Pauls addons, I think you'll love it. It will make an epic Christmas present and I'm sure you will be on it solidly all over the festive break. I just feel sorry for your girlfriend, hope she understands how neglected she'll be after you open it.

Guest griff_dai

That's a good start!

I was guessing that the web browsing would replace the need to open the Acer (which cost me a bloody fortune)......

I said that I would be able to take the vega to bed to watch iplayer and she hit me over the head with the paper!!!!!!!

Guest JingleManSweep
That's a good start!

I was guessing that the web browsing would replace the need to open the Acer (which cost me a bloody fortune)......

I said that I would be able to take the vega to bed to watch iplayer and she hit me over the head with the paper!!!!!!!

Hehe. Yes, iPlayer works quite well. Also, SeeSaw for 4OD and DemandFive is good too. Can't comment on the newspaper based domestic violence though.

Guest English Haze

it has replaced my laptop for browsing and social networking. Sitting in front of the tv watching x factor and browsing and watching twitter.

Guest griff_dai
it has replaced my laptop for browsing and social networking. Sitting in front of the tv watching x factor and browsing and watching twitter.

You see, I knew it would once Paul's R4 landed on it......

Now I'm wondering if their are Vega owners with ipad's also in their home, wondering if the limitations of that the ipad are really shown now...... In so much, the limitations of the web experience on the ipad is offset by the exclusive ipad apps........

Guest removed-14
It isn't perfect, but I really love my Vega. It has replaced my laptop for 99% of browsing and surfing activities. If I have to write a long email or document, I will either switch on the laptop or go use the server in the other room.

With Pauls addons, I think you'll love it. It will make an epic Christmas present and I'm sure you will be on it solidly all over the festive break. I just feel sorry for your girlfriend, hope she understands how neglected she'll be after you open it.

My thoughts are similar to JingleManSweep, laptop is for heavy use sessions. Vega is my main browsing device, posting on forums, quick check of my bank, youtube etc... My wife thinks I love my Vega more than her... it's close but she edges it!

Guest terminaljunkie

As long as it's only the paper and not the vega!!!

Guest unholyimp

I had a rather bulky Toshiba laptop. With only 40mins bat life, so it was always plugged in social networking was a nightmare. Trapped on the settee by this gaming monster laptop, legs that would go numb from the weight. My wife used to laugh her head off with her little pink MSI netbook as I would desperately wiggle my feet to get rid of the pins and needles. I was so jealous and was on the verge of getting a netbook. Not a pink one though. Then I saw the tablets coming out and thought, why not give it a go. Being a PC nerd I do miss a proper keyboard but that said the tablet does have some great features.

No boot up to speak of

extremely portable

great media player for long journey (I do over 2 hours a day)

I do have a gaming desktop with a quad core and crossfire graphics cards and play black ops. Tablet will never replace that but then neither did the laptop.

Guest griff_dai
I had a rather bulky Toshiba laptop. With only 40mins bat life, so it was always plugged in social networking was a nightmare. Trapped on the settee by this gaming monster laptop, legs that would go numb from the weight. My wife used to laugh her head off with her little pink MSI netbook as I would desperately wiggle my feet to get rid of the pins and needles. I was so jealous and was on the verge of getting a netbook. Not a pink one though. Then I saw the tablets coming out and thought, why not give it a go. Being a PC nerd I do miss a proper keyboard but that said the tablet does have some great features.

No boot up to speak of

extremely portable

great media player for long journey (I do over 2 hours a day)

I do have a gaming desktop with a quad core and crossfire graphics cards and play black ops. Tablet will never replace that but then neither did the laptop.

So, from the comments so far the 10 inch google tablet (although not supported by google) but brought to market by DSG has found a niche!!!

It's surprising and I wonder if this tablet in it's various forms will make Apple wonder if their business model is under threat.....

I have always thought that the 10 inch tablet (or a bit bigger) was the sweet spot for the tablet form!

It seems that at £250 and with the mod's Paul has done this tablet has replaced the majority of the average browsing of user's from the traditional desktop and laptop platforms and without the tie in to Apple's 'walled garden' (that's a phrase not used since the 1st days of the 3 network when they stopped access to the internet)........

Dai

Guest debs626

Almost two weeks eh (time fly's when your having fun) I love my Vega, and if it broke tomorrow I would be lost without it. All the family use it for various things, its quick, easy to use and very portable. It won't replace any of the PC's or laptops we have but it does give them a well earned rest. Maybe once the dock is available my laptop may get packed away sometimes, I really can't get used to one finger typing.

Guest griff_dai
Almost two weeks eh (time fly's when your having fun) I love my Vega, and if it broke tomorrow I would be lost without it. All the family use it for various things, its quick, easy to use and very portable. It won't replace any of the PC's or laptops we have but it does give them a well earned rest. Maybe once the dock is available my laptop may get packed away sometimes, I really can't get used to one finger typing.

So very much a brilliant bit of tech, once you got Paul's rom on it!

Did you have much trouble flashing it?

Guest debs626
So very much a brilliant bit of tech, once you got Paul's rom on it!

Did you have much trouble flashing it?

The first attempt was a little fiddly but subsequent flashings were a breeze. I haven't tried the ClockworkMod recovery thingy-ma-jig yet as that does look a little more complex for me and there is no real gain for it at the moment but I will try it if the need arises.

Guest warriorscot

It's basically a giant geeky nerdgasm my inner 12 year old trekkie is still jumping up and down and pretending to be Commander Riker with his PADD if some comes up with an okudagram UI I might actually have an anurism. Its amazing how it so subtly fits in my life in between my phone and my PC I definitely don't use my PC as often and its nice to be untethered from my desk. I have also learned to love and loathe the angry birds, I am totally addicted and every time I think Ive won there are just more birds. I am going to start dreaming about egg stealing pigs and angry birds.

I actually tried two handed typing the other day but its tricky to balance it right and type at the same time but with the case it might be easier. One hand typing is easy enough once you get the hang of it but I have hands like dinner plates so I do have an unfair advantage on that front. I love the fact the Vega has that sweet spot between power, size and portability and its a nice price point where if you break it or lost it we aren't facing the end of the world.

Guest griff_dai
It's basically a giant geeky nerdgasm my inner 12 year old trekkie is still jumping up and down and pretending to be Commander Riker with his PADD if some comes up with an okudagram UI I might actually have an anurism. Its amazing how it so subtly fits in my life in between my phone and my PC I definitely don't use my PC as often and its nice to be untethered from my desk. I have also learned to love and loathe the angry birds, I am totally addicted and every time I think Ive won there are just more birds. I am going to start dreaming about egg stealing pigs and angry birds.

I actually tried two handed typing the other day but its tricky to balance it right and type at the same time but with the case it might be easier. One hand typing is easy enough once you get the hang of it but I have hands like dinner plates so I do have an unfair advantage on that front. I love the fact the Vega has that sweet spot between power, size and portability and its a nice price point where if you break it or lost it we aren't facing the end of the world.

So far loving the responses and this one being one of the best as I'm a secret trekkie also ;)

Guest jimreapee69

I have had my vega since the beginning and i have to say i use it 99.9% of the time,my laptop gets very little use now,and as for installing Pauls,s rom it was pretty simple,just read through the instructions a few times and its no problem. ;)

Guest griff_dai
I have had my vega since the beginning and i have to say i use it 99.9% of the time,my laptop gets very little use now,and as for installing Pauls,s rom it was pretty simple,just read through the instructions a few times and its no problem. ;)

I'll remind of you of that on Xmas day when i'm tearing my hair out!

Guest cool2naz

Got a question as well - is anyone else experiencing squeaky back cover? not the whole cover, just around docking port.To be more precise, can someone try to press back cover slightly to the left from the 'please read the user manual before using this tablet' and let me know?

A bit annoying if holding vega in portrait and it is as creaky as a cheap toy, thinking of asking for a replacement if you could confirm yours is ok.

Thanks