vega market

Guest mrhankey4932

Guest mrhankey4932

hi all

i am a complete android virgin but i have managed to order a vega from dixons over the weekend so hopefully i will get it some time this week.

i wasnt sure whether to go for the vega or the archos 101,but i went for the vega after reading about all the hacking being done on here.

the thing i dont understand is that allthough both devices dont have access to the market,installing the hack on the archos just needs the vending.apk file which you click on in the device

to get it to work(couldnt be simpler even for a newbie like me).but getting the market on the vega requires the right drivers and usb settings and pauls hack and i know some people have had proplems with this,and i bet with my luck i would be one of them!!

my question is why is there not just a vending.apk file for the vega which we can click on in our device and then install the rest of the stuff from the market ourselves?

coz even i wouldnt be able to cock that up!!

Guest warriorscot

Replacing the USB driver is pretty easy, the instruction on here could do with being a bit more clear and involved but generally its fairly easy. The biggest hassle is getting the ADB working but that is an Android/Vega issue in general it seems but overall its not too hard.

I do have a Vending.apk file in my vega(system/app) from the r4 which im assuming is how the mod enables the market on the vega so it is just pre packaged along with everything else. I may be wrong I don't know much about custom roms but I suppose if you took the vending.apk from the r4 folder and stuck it onto the vega it would run and give you the market. But there might be other things necessary that the custom rom changes so I would just use that its really easy to install and use.

Guest unholyimp

As far as I'm aware and Paul is bound to correct me. Certain features required to use market place are missing from the stock Advent rom. You can get round this in several was.

1 download all the individual Google .apk's and install them

Or

2 download Paul's rom

I done option 1 first.

Not the best option. I now use Paul's rom its easy even for a noob. Trust me this is my first android device and I find it simple.

Guest Bisto321

It would be nice if a quick sideload of vending.apk is all that is needed to get the vega and all other android devices without market working.

Sadly this is not the case. A lot more has to be done before the market can be 'fooled' into seeing the calling device as valid and market ready.

The Gappsforarchos.apk(or whatever it is called) and other similar ones copy over the various google apps and the required modified framework files as far as I am aware.

Paul’s rom has all of this already installed and has other useful tweaks and optimisations that would prove difficult to do on a running system with a simple apk install.

I do not have a Vega, but self proclaimed newbies and 'idiot guide users' have had very few issues with the rom install and the Vega does seem quite robust and 'brick' proof.

Once you have flashed a rom or two, it can become very addictive.

Read this thread - http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...d-vega-perhaps/

Even very poorly Vega's can bounce back ;)

Guest mrhankey4932

thanks for the info,think i will have a go at installing pauls mod when i get the vega,on a side note while i have been waiting i have downloaded to my pc alot of .apks from getjar and other such sites,

when i get my vega where do i put them? is there an applications folder or do i put them on the sd card

Guest warriorscot

Anywhere you like, I have a folder on my SD card called apps where I keep them. I suppose you could keep them in the /system/apps folder on the internal memory but there isn't a huge amount of space available.

Guest Bisto321
thanks for the info,think i will have a go at installing pauls mod when i get the vega,on a side note while i have been waiting i have downloaded to my pc alot of .apks from getjar and other such sites,

when i get my vega where do i put them? is there an applications folder or do i put them on the sd card

Put them on SD or internal memory and use a 'file browser' to open them in the installer (click on them) and away you go.

No viruses as such for android, but just be mindful of what services the application is asking to use and have access to. If you use apps that have a good rep and a lot of downloads you should be safe.

Not all apps work on all devices and if you have problems with them running in full screen then download and install the spare parts app (search on here for info) an uncheck the compatibility option.

Plenty of advice and help available on here and other forums. Advent seem to be doing a pretty good job of customer support too - much better than Toshiba has ever done with the folio.

Guest warriorscot
No viruses as such for android

There are viruses and exploits for android. As long as you stick to store apps you are pretty safe but some of the dodgier places to get apps will have viruses in them or will use exploits to data mine your phone/tablet.