New to Android!

Guest Scanjet

Guest Scanjet

Firstly... hey to the forum, loving being a member here since getting my Vega and the topics have been so interesting! But I do have a few questions about the Android aspect of my Advent Vega as the topic title suggests I am new to the Google based OS.

So on Android is there any apps for editing word documents and for creating new documents, make the vega even better if I had any apps for this?

Is there anyway I can webcam with someone whose on a laptop? Fring would only work to someone on the phone and Skype dont have webcam on the app, so at the moment the webcam is a little useless...

And can someone explain to me what Launcher Pro is and if its work setting up and if so how to set it up!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Scanjet

EDIT: Also what is the situation with an Anti Virus for my Vega, do I need one?

Edited by Scanjet

Guest lnux9898
Firstly... hey to the forum, loving being a member here since getting my Vega and the topics have been so interesting!

Welcome to the Android family! We are a lovely bunch. Just don't talk about fruit. I hope you have been able to upgrade your Vega to version 1.04 and then applied Paul's custom ROM to get the best of the touch-screen beastie. If not, reply back and I am sure we can help you out.

So on Android is there any apps for editing word documents and for creating new documents, make the vega even better if I had any apps for this?

There are a few office suites that come to mind:-

Documents To Go

Thinkfree Office

There are free (only viewing documents) and paid versions, available via the Market.

Is there anyway I can webcam with someone whose on a laptop? Fring would only work to someone on the phone and Skype dont have webcam on the app, so at the moment the webcam is a little useless...

Sorry, I have only used my device as a replacement webcam for my netbook.

And can someone explain to me what Launcher Pro is and if its work setting up and if so how to set it up!

Launcher Pro is like the name implies a program launcher and home screen. Compare it to Windows: a launcher allows to change behaviour of the Taskbar, quick launch area, window treatments, etc. You can apply themes via the launcher to further custom your device. You can have multiple launchers on a device and switch between them easily. Personally, I like ADW Launch. This article explains launchers in more details along with a review of Launcher Pro.

EDIT: Also what is the situation with an Anti Virus for my Vega, do I need one?

At the moment, viruses are not a problem on the Android OS. There are anti-virus available via the Android Market but I have only found them sucking on cpu's.

Guest dukla2000
I got Quickoffice from the market - seems promising but haven't tested it in anger.