Gingerbread Chat

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pierreburel

I'm not a huge fan of the new UI... Lot of black, green/orange mix, emboss and stuff... This 2.3 seems to lack a lot of improvements, especially in apps like Calendar.

Guest technicavita
I can haz Gingerbread keyboard working on my G2? Kthx! ;)

P

gbkeyboardong2.png

LOL Go Paul :-) I'm going to second that call for a Desire build, anyone know if HTC are planning an official 2.3 release for Desire.

Won't hold my breath for HTC to deliver on that one.

Tech

Guest technicavita
I'm not a huge fan of the new UI... Lot of black, green/orange mix, emboss and stuff... This 2.3 seems to lack a lot of improvements, especially in apps like Calendar.

Ye I was thinking kinda the same thing, I was expecting G to do some big overhaul of the ui but all they did was make it darker and keyboard bigger. Maybe it's all under the hood :-)

Tech

Guest rcadden

Can you take a screenshot of the camera application - is it much improved over the v2.2 one? One reason I keep sticking with Sense ROMs is for the far superior HTC Sense camera - face detection, various scenes/modes, etc.

Guest pierreburel

Got a question : is overscrolling system wide in 2.3 ? Like in TouchWiz or last Cyanogen for example.

Edited by pierreburel

+1 for the desire :P it is going to take ages for HTC to bring this out to the desire if they even going to ;)

New keyboard + new copy paste looks nice, and i love the NFC :P

Guest rferrett

For me the thing I am most pleased about is this from the SDK site:-

"Extra Large Screens

The platform now supports extra large screen sizes, such as those that might be found on tablet devices. Developers can indicate that their applications are designed to support extra large screen sizes by adding a <supports screens ... android:xlargeScreens="true"> element to their manifest files. Applications can use a new resource qualifier, xlarge, to tag resources that are specific to extra large screens. For details on how to support extra large and other screen sizes, see Supporting Multiple Screens."

Which hopefully will make, if we get an update to gingerbread, the Advent Vega even better!

Yay ;)

Ralph

Guest Asselberghs

I´ll not go to Gingerbread based on the UI, disappointed like a few others I presume. Is the performance improved noticeable over Froyo? that would be my reason primarily I think. I am using Dell Streak and Panda Home home screens anyway.

Guest animalz
I´ll not go to Gingerbread based on the UI, disappointed like a few others I presume. Is the performance improved noticeable over Froyo? that would be my reason primarily I think. I am using Dell Streak and Panda Home home screens anyway.

Front-end wise, the GUI has been updated a little here and there. 2.3 is mainly about the back-end changes having spent a fair amount of time reading about it this morning and I can tell you that the back-end changes have developers excited.. This is only a good thing.

Before it was a bit like a Ferrari with a Mini's engine, you could polish up the outside and it looked great but the performance was not quite there. Well now, we've got a ferrari engine to match it's flashy, customised exterior.

Edited by animalz

Guest rferrett

I am a bit of a n00b to the scene and was not following this stuff. When Froyo came out.

So to wiser heads when a new android build comes out how long does it normally takes before the scene are able to produce custom roms, is it something the scene can do independently or does there need to be official 2.3 roms out thatched the scene modify both on the intended device and. To others?

Ralph