The Nexus S announced.

Guest squirreleater

Guest squirreleater

Google announce the next 'Nexus' phone, the 'S'

thumb_06-Dec-2010_nexus-s-main-rm-eng.jpg

Finally it has been confirmed. Today at 4.00pm (UK time) Google officially announced the release of the Nexus S, the latest in the line of officially Google supported phones.

It will be made by Samsung and available via Best buy in the US from the 16th of December and Carphone warehouse in the UK from the 20th of December.

Prices are $529 in the US and £549 in the UK (Slightly unfair In my opinion.....)

Some highlights:

• 1Ghz Cortex A8 'Hummingbird' Cpu
  • 512 mb of ram
  • 16GB internal storage (No external??)
  • 4" WVGA 480x800 Super Amoled display with curved 'anti fingerprint' glass.
  • 1500 mAH battery
  • Near Field Communication (NFC)
  • Google 2.3 'Gingerbread' os.

Personally I'm quite disappointed, I was holding out for a higher specification, this just looks like a Galaxy S with a few bells and whistles....as for the UK price, well.....

Hopefully Gingerbread will be released soon for the nexus one, a Google Employee tweeted it will be out within a few weeks, (not straight away as Engadget said and then almost instantly removed the story!) That said, I'm fairly sure it'll leak out soon enough....!

Official Nexus S website:

Nexus S

Official Nexus S video:

"Introducing the Nexus S"

Android 2.3 Official Video:

Go here to Vote on if you are getting one!

Modaco Nexus S vote.

Guest gingerbeardman

There's a link on the Nexus S site to a PDF user guide for 2.3, featuring stuff like the new text select method (page 37)

http://www.google.com/googlephone/AndroidUsersGuide-2.3.pdf

The online version: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/t...amp;topic=29766

(text editing, for example is here: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/a...p;answer=168451 )

Edited by gingerbeardman

Guest squirreleater
There's a link on the Nexus S site to a PDF user guide for 2.3, featuring stuff like the new text select method (page 37)

http://www.google.com/googlephone/AndroidUsersGuide-2.3.pdf

The online version: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/t...amp;topic=29766

(text editing, for example is here: http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/a...p;answer=168451 )

Thanks. ;)

Guest Matchstick
Prices are $529 in the US and £549 in the UK (Slightly unfair In my opinion.....)

Only Slightly Unfair ?

The US Price at current exchange rate is £335.31

The UK price without VAT is £467.23 which is nearly 40% higher than the US price. That seems offensively high to me

My guess is that because Carphone Warehouse has the exclusive it's looking to protect it's profit on phones like the iphone by charging a stupidly high price and it's not like customers can go elswehere for it.

Thanks google.

Edited by Matchstick

Guest WearTheFoxHat
UK price versus US price is outrageous.

Will it be possible to buy from US like it was with the Nexus?

I'm sure with some freight forwarding services it may be possible.

The assumed $1=£1 exchange rate of the tech industry really irks me at times.

Id been holding out for this handset to use as my main phone, since the Desire HD has such poor battery. Guess I'll have to continue my wait ... now where's iOS 4.2 download gone? ;)

Guest forelli

I'm a bit disappointed from the spec, was expecting a dual-core with 1.2 Ghz, but the same old hummingbird which has been around for almost a year, no thanks. My next phone will be a dual-core with a 4.3" SLCD screen. Coming from the HD2 and owing a Desire HD right now, I'm pi**ed about the cheap and stupid construction of the Desire HD, particularly the battery cover and the SD slot!

f.

Guest soopahfly
My next phone will be a dual-core with a 4.3" SLCD screen.

I like what you're saying, and would very much like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I thought I'd got my shortlist down to this phone, or the Desire HD, but if you're saying the build quality's poor coupled with the fact that my 32gb MicroSD card would be useless with the Nexus....what's the options.

What's coming out with this sort of spec within the next couple of months?

Edited by soopahfly

Guest squirreleater
Only Slightly Unfair ?

The US Price at current exchange rate is £335.31

The UK price without VAT is £467.23 which is nearly 40% higher than the US price. That seems offensively high to me

My guess is that because Carphone Warehouse has the exclusive it's looking to protect it's profit on phones like the iphone by charging a stupidly high price and it's not like customers can go elswehere for it.

Thanks google.

I was being diplomatic!

Quite agree, it's bloody outrageous.

Guest Mr Taylor
I was being diplomatic!

Quite agree, it's bloody outrageous.

I hope they dont sell any, the robbing bas***ds.... and I dont normally swear in forums

Nexus S specs are great news for anyone who currently owns an Android phone in the upper end of the spec range as it means that Google has no plans to be moving to a significantly higher end platform any time soon.

I know the specs aren't a huge upgrade over n1, but consider the fact that nexus devices are the first ones to get a new android version, and the android versions made for them are specially optimized by google to give GREAT performance.

Guest neversommer

Hello Guys..

Well I have to say I kinda like this Phone.

I can now on the 16th of December get a new plan and I have to make a serious choice.

I own currently a Iphone 3G and looking for the next big step.

First I had a look at the Samsung Galaxy S then the Desire HD and now I have the new Nexus One in my mind..

Still I have problems of making a decision.

I personally like the AMOLED over the SLCD from HTC, alltough the Desire HD has some very nice applications...

I dont mind this new curved display..I actually really like it...however it does not mention if it is made out of the same gorilla glas then on the Samsung Galaxy S?

Right now I have 3 Options with 1 to choose..just dont know which one.

1. Samsung Galaxy S

2. Samsung Google Nexus One

3. Waiting for the new Samsung with OS 3.0 coming out next year.

Which one to choose?

I moving against Apple right now..so this will be my first Android Handy..

Guest markdotpeters5

Not enough of a leap to justify that ridiculous price tag IMO.

Laughable that it doesn't do at least 720p video recording given the original Desire can do it!

Guest HustlinDaily

Honestly, I think Google made a huge mistake by making this the developer phone.

They should have reached out to Motorola and gotten them to do something similar to the upcoming Olympus.

@neversommer: I think you should wait until Q1 2011 for the Motorola Olympus or LG Star.

Guest squirreleater
Hello Guys..

Well I have to say I kinda like this Phone.

I can now on the 16th of December get a new plan and I have to make a serious choice.

I own currently a Iphone 3G and looking for the next big step.

First I had a look at the Samsung Galaxy S then the Desire HD and now I have the new Nexus One in my mind..

Still I have problems of making a decision.

I personally like the AMOLED over the SLCD from HTC, alltough the Desire HD has some very nice applications...

I dont mind this new curved display..I actually really like it...however it does not mention if it is made out of the same gorilla glas then on the Samsung Galaxy S?

Right now I have 3 Options with 1 to choose..just dont know which one.

1. Samsung Galaxy S

2. Samsung Google Nexus One

3. Waiting for the new Samsung with OS 3.0 coming out next year.

Which one to choose?

I moving against Apple right now..so this will be my first Android Handy..

My opinion, get the nexus s if you want a phone now.Don't get the Galaxy, it is ruined by Samsungs crappy software, the nexuswon't have that problem.

Otherwise wait for the next generation of dual core phones and get a HTC , They are just better in every way.

• 2 weeks later...
My opinion, get the nexus s if you want a phone now.Don't get the Galaxy, it is ruined by Samsungs crappy software, the nexuswon't have that problem.

Otherwise wait for the next generation of dual core phones and get a HTC , They are just better in every way.

Is it worth getting the Galaxy S if there is a complete/proper 2.3 ROM available for it? How far off is the hardware?

Thanks

S

Guest squirreleater
Is it worth getting the Galaxy S if there is a complete/proper 2.3 ROM available for it? How far off is the hardware?

Thanks

S

I don't know if Samsung have officially said they will update the Galaxy S with 2.3, but you have to believe they will, quite when that'll happen is another matter....

You can root and install a custom rom with 2.3, but having owned a Galaxy myself I found it rather confusing with the myriad of firmware options- they are very easy to root/unlock, but also very easy to brick!

Hardware wise the Galaxy isn't very much different from the Nexus,minor differences, that's all.

I don't know if Samsung have officially said they will update the Galaxy S with 2.3, but you have to believe they will, quite when that'll happen is another matter....

You can root and install a custom rom with 2.3, but having owned a Galaxy myself I found it rather confusing with the myriad of firmware options- they are very easy to root/unlock, but also very easy to brick!

Hardware wise the Galaxy isn't very much different from the Nexus,minor differences, that's all.

Thanks for that.

I think I will wait and see what happens in January as it seems there will be a number of new handsets and plenty of new developments also.

S

Guest squirreleater
Thanks for that.

I think I will wait and see what happens in January as it seems there will be a number of new handsets and plenty of new developments also.

S

Indeed, that's what I'm doing, the LG Optimus2 is looking a very decent device due for euro release in January.The forst of many Dual core powered phones.

The CES show will be interesting!

Indeed, that's what I'm doing, the LG Optimus2 is looking a very decent device due for euro release in January.The forst of many Dual core powered phones.

The CES show will be interesting!

All depends on how long I can wait....

might just get a Desire HD and be done with it :unsure:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.