Small Notification Bar + Touch Events Fix information + feedback topic

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest TylerDurdenK

Having played with it a bit more, I actually think it is probably a bit too small.

Somewhere between this and the original size must be the optimum.

Guest debs626
I'll tweak a bit more later on and see if I can find a happy medium. ;)

I'll probaby post regular / medium / small options in the kitchen.

P

Thats a pretty neat idea ........ will keep Baby Bear, Mommy Bear and Daddy Bear all happy :P

Guest SilentMobius

Could I ask which specific files are responsible for the menubar/touch events fix. I'm flashing from the kitchen but aren't getting any change in the bar and want to make sure everything is behaving as it should before asking potentially stupid questions.

Is the menubar system/framework/framework.res.apk? because I'm not getting that listed in the files pushed, but I can see it's in the download.

Ah I see why, the failure to push maps.apk is killing the rest of the push. My fault for sticking Quickoffice in there and filling it up

Edited by SilentMobius

Installed fine, no probs at all.

Kinda makes you wonder why the heck the manufacturer didn't fix the ridiculous touch sensitivity issue, rather than the stupid over-sized top-bar, which takes up so much usable space! I find that even with the new small bar I can get a more accurate response. e.g. on the original bar, the Home button would take two taps 90% of the time (I'm using LauncherPro and the first tap would register as a double-tap so I'd have three home screens in view, then tap again to get the one). Very annoying, so extremely pleased with this update, I get more space and the touchscreen works much better. I was shouting at the Vega over this very issue only this morning!

Would be good to see one slightly bigger to resolve battery icon issue.

Screenshot of Spotify attached, much more usable. I was using Spotify fine last week, but this week the damn thing keeps going into offline mode inexplicably, even when the device is clearly connected to the network. Hmm.

Having played with the Vega for a week I'd say it's not a good consumer product at all, but if you're happy to flash it standing on Paul's shoulders, it's a bargain. I suspect however that come Honeycomb time I'll replace it, hopefully for a device with much better touch/screen, lighter, GPS, etc.

post-1334-1291724656_thumb.png

Kinda makes you wonder why the heck the manufacturer didn't fix the ridiculous touch sensitivity issue, rather than the stupid over-sized top-bar, which takes up so much usable space! I find that even with the new small bar I can get a more accurate response. e.g. on the original bar, the Home button would take two taps 90% of the time (I'm using LauncherPro and the first tap would register as a double-tap so I'd have three home screens in view, then tap again to get the one). Very annoying, so extremely pleased with this update, I get more space and the touchscreen works much better. I was shouting at the Vega over this very issue only this morning!

Screenshot of Spotify attached, much more usable. I was using Spotify fine last week, but this week the damn thing keeps going into offline mode inexplicably, even when the device is clearly connected to the network. Hmm.

Having played with the Vega for a week I'd say it's not a good consumer product at all, but if you're happy to flash it standing on Paul's shoulders, it's a bargain. I suspect however that come Honeycomb time I'll replace it, hopefully for a device with much better touch/screen, lighter, GPS, etc.

It's a bit strange the battery bar gets cut off, there should be enough room for it!

P

Would wider icons\buttons help? We don't seem to be that stretched for width really just height. Not sure its possible?

That's definitely possible, a good idea I think!

P

Ah yes, you see, we're now at the 'right size' (i.e. it's displaying absolutely correctly).

P

I reported the issues to Spotify (going offline, and assumption on notification bar size) but was told they don't support the Vega, so if it doesn't work, tough. Hopefully the unhelpful moron who told me that will do as requested and at least pass the feedback on to the developers.

Having a desktop, tablet and phone really makes you appreciate the wonders of cloud storage and services, more devices is better, not a hindrance like it used to be.

Guest warriorscot

This may seem a vaguely unrelated request. But do you think the bar could be moved so instead of horizontal across the top it is vertical and on the right. It may sound odd but that is actually how I have all my windows machines set up and personally given how wide the screen on the vega is it would work pretty well.

Guest warriorscot

Guess I am looking forward even more to gingerbread. It definitely seem much more tablet friendly than 2.2 so hopefully advent releases something official using 2.3 soon.

Guest SilentMobius

Thanks Paul, Loving the smaller menu bar. the soft buttons are a little too small for my fingers but I've remaped the volume hard buttons to home/menu anyway using this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695936 the file on the Vega is gpio-keys.kl

I _think_ I'm now getting worse stickness on the touchscreen, that is, the touch-down/move events triggering but the touch-up event failing to trigger leaving lots of long presses lying around. Though I can see less flickering during a drag in the multi-touch test. Could I ask what the details of the fix are? I'm wondering if it's something I could tweak myself?

Guest SilentMobius
Silly question: how do you adjust the volume in that case? You don't?

Given that the hard keys only ever alter one of the "types" of volume I generally use the widget "audiomanager" that lets me adjust each channel. I rarely need to change the volume in such a way that I would mind popping to the launcher. Hence I thought I'd use the hard buttons for something I do need.

Guest JingleManSweep
Given that the hard keys only ever alter one of the "types" of volume I generally use the widget "audiomanager" that lets me adjust each channel. I rarely need to change the volume in such a way that I would mind popping to the launcher. Hence I thought I'd use the hard buttons for something I do need.

Cheers for the tip. Just remapped my volume keys using Root Explorer on my Vega on the train, and installed audiomanager. Much much better.

Guest Pyr0x64

just flashed the smaller bar and touch fix

the touch seems better... only time i really noticed it was when typing numbers. often the '1' key would register 2 or 3 presses, but after a quick test setting a static IP, it seems improved ;)

i think the notification bar might be a little too small now though

[edit] anyone else notice there's a gap at the top of the wallpaper now?

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest warriorscot

Remapping the buttons would be good. Do you fancy maybe making a small tutorial on it the xda sites is ok but it assumes a little more android knowledge than I'm sure many of us actually have.

Guest Sir Gash
I'm thinking the small menu will be OK if we can double the width of the buttons... thoughts?

P

This sounds like the perfect option, standard Android size notificatian bar with wider icon spacing (there's certainly plenty of room for it!).

Thanks for all your hard work Paul, much appreciated! If you can get CIFS support and prevent WiFi sleeping on standby I would say the ROM is perfect!

I _think_ I'm now getting worse stickness on the touchscreen, that is, the touch-down/move events triggering but the touch-up event failing to trigger leaving lots of long presses lying around.

Actually, this seems to be the opposite for me, I noticed many 'sticky' presses prior to the update, for me it seems to be better now (after 30 minutes of use at least).

Cheers!

EDIT: Looks like I'm still getting the sticky behaviour as before after a bit more use ;)

Edited by Sir Gash