SIM unlock code algorithm

Guest Arr Too

Guest Arr Too

I've finally cracked the algorithm to the SIM unlock code generation! The cheeky blighters have thrown in a bit of MD5, which is maybe why it was tough. My current code is in Java and seems ripe for hosting -- I'd be happy for MoDaCo to have their own calculator if they want to. Although NckCodes' thinly veiled threats have lead to nothing so far and the free calculators are still running...

More intriguingly, I suspect the phone itself can generate this code and unlock itself if you throw the right thing at the right app. Obviously that will be much simpler, so that's what I'm trying to work out now.

Guest theInquisitor
More intriguingly, I suspect the phone itself can generate this code and unlock itself if you throw the right thing at the right app. Obviously that will be much simpler, so that's what I'm trying to work out now.
Creating Android apps is pretty easy. Also reading the phone's IMEI is just few lines of code. I fear unlocking the phone automatically by an app is more complicated, as the interface is undocumented.

Well done Arr Too. Might not be a bad idea to publish a windows/linux standalone app (or some script) that can do this. I have a suspicion that those 'free' sites may one day stop working !

Great work Arr Too!

I agree with xzyk, a small PC app would be even better than a java app on some website. Not muchh that can be done with an IMEI, but would still be nice not having to give it out.

I actually disagree

although I'm Fully in favour of unlocking it free

If you make the calculator available as an app, or have it on "too many" websites then ZTE may implement much stronger algorithms when they update the phone to the next model

or may implement it into newer builds of this phone

Especially if you released the algorithm to the public.

Have it on one or two web servers yes, but dont do an app or anything that would make them think twice about changing the lock to a stronger one.

I'm sure ZTE are well aware that the Blade is selling well because people know it can be unlocked. They probably only include the lock because mobile operators insist on it; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if ZTE themselves arranged a leak of the algorithm in the first place, to get unlocking websites on the go and to achieve a boost in sales.

It's a bit like multi-region DVD players - it wasn't long before multi-region hacks were appearing all over the internet for most makes of player.

I've finally cracked the algorithm to the SIM unlock code generation! The cheeky blighters have thrown in a bit of MD5, which is maybe why it was tough. My current code is in Java and seems ripe for hosting -- I'd be happy for MoDaCo to have their own calculator if they want to. Although NckCodes' thinly veiled threats have lead to nothing so far and the free calculators are still running...

Nifty! ;)

Care to share?

P

Guest Magnets
Have it on one or two web servers yes, but dont do an app or anything that would make them think twice about changing the lock to a stronger one.

I wouldn't think they (ZTE) care too much, they are selling a lot of phones at the end of the day.

If orange detect that so many are moving off their network then they'll probably just avoid ZTE in future and use another cheap manufacturer.

Edited by Magnets

Guest super san francisco

I'd be interested in knowing two stats in this whole situation:

#1: how much orange gets out of the SF sales anyways, no matter whether the people use their network.

#2: how high are their expectations on profit off the use of their prepaid cards.

if #1 outranges #2, then they are fine anyway. if they get the SF for say 55 pounds and sell it for 99, they really make some profit, or am i wrong. haven't checked on their prizes on networking/calls though...

Guest theInquisitor
I'm sure ZTE are well aware that the Blade is selling well because people know it can be unlocked. They probably only include the lock because mobile operators insist on it; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if ZTE themselves arranged a leak of the algorithm in the first place, to get unlocking websites on the go and to achieve a boost in sales.

I totally agree! Just look at Huawei, who keep releasing new 3G modems, that still use the same unlock code algorythm, that has been cracked two years ago. I really wonder why operators still order this so easily unlockable stuff.

Guest Aranathos
I'd be interested in knowing two stats in this whole situation:

#1: how much orange gets out of the SF sales anyways, no matter whether the people use their network.

In the UK at least, Orange receive £2 for every handset sold.

Edited by Aranathos

Guest 90180360
I wouldn't think they (ZTE) care too much, they are selling a lot of phones at the end of the day.

If orange detect that so many are moving off their network then they'll probably just avoid ZTE in future and use another cheap manufacturer.

ZTE may want to avoid losing orange obviously...

Guest Arr Too
Care to share?

I've converted it to PHP and I'm just testing a crappy little HTML wrapper and test script -- would you like me to email you a copy? I think it's more appropriate for this site to have its own calculator, and you never know it might generate some extra visitors.

Guest fonix232
I've converted it to PHP and I'm just testing a crappy little HTML wrapper and test script -- would you like me to email you a copy? I think it's more appropriate for this site to have its own calculator, and you never know it might generate some extra visitors.

I would be happy if you would be so kind to share the unlock code generation formula - who knows, maybe it has some more in it ;)

Absolutely MAN!!!!

Desperately need the code.... it would help a great deal especially for people like me living in Pakistan where we really have no way of unlocking streak.... Please do help us out.

Thanks

Guest thomas01155
Absolutely MAN!!!!

Desperately need the code.... it would help a great deal especially for people like me living in Pakistan where we really have no way of unlocking streak.... Please do help us out.

Thanks

How will this help unlock the streak O.o? Does this generator unlock anything?

Edited by thomas01155

I've emailed the (very basic) PHP script to Paul (I think!), but I suspect he's busy doing important stuff. :) I've uploaded the same script here, in case anyone wants to try it:

http://arrtoo.x10.mx/unlockBlade.php

Next plan is to do my first app, which will generate the code for you for your specific phone.

Any chance you can upload the code so we can all learn how this stuff works?

Guest oh!dougal
I've emailed the (very basic) PHP script to Paul (I think!), but I suspect he's busy doing important stuff. :) I've uploaded the same script here, in case anyone wants to try it:

http://arrtoo.x10.mx/unlockBlade.php ...

Well it generated the same code that unlocked my phone a few weeks ago, so I'd say it works! Congratulations!

One small thing, it farted first time because there was an extra space at the end (after I'd copied and pasted it).

Might be a good idea to mug-trap the input -- remove all spaces, ensure all numbers and the right number of digits ... :)

Edited by oh!dougal

Have you e-mailed an Admin/Moderator to contact someone who runs the site?

If MoDaCo had their own calculator it would be hugely beneficial to them.

Could you tell us the process on how to unravel the algorithm even in basic terms, I'm deathly curious.

Well it generated the same code that unlocked my phone a few weeks ago, so I'd say it works! Congratulations!

Confirmed. Quality stuff OP, and dead nice of you to share in the run-up to xmas.

Guest pellonet

Next plan is to do my first app, which will generate the code for you for your specific phone.

Thanks Arr Too, tested on 2 x IMEIs & working fine also I have posted links to the giffgaff forum with full credit to you of course, there are a lot of San Fran fans there who will no doubt be along to thank you soon :)

Peter

Thanks man, i'll put a copy at MoDaCo integrated into the forum next week. :)

P

Guest Arr Too
Might be a good idea to mug-trap the input -- remove all spaces, ensure all numbers and the right number of digits ... :)

Good idea -- it now strips out anything but digits, so you can write your IMEI as "12345-12345-12345".