What happens to the returns

Guest shadwell_lad

Guest shadwell_lad

What happens to the Vega's that are returned either to online depot or to a shop directly? Do you think the shops try to re-sell?

I got my Vega yesterday but don't think I will be holding onto it, purely because the screen is awful. I thought it would have similar viewing angles to my laptop screen but it is far worse than that. Otherwise, not a bad bit of kit, greatly improved by Paul's work

I'm not happy with mine either.

I really had higher hopes and it's now obvious to me that Android is not ready as a tablet OS.

Most games are in pathetic phone sized windows and some (such as robodefense) you even have to scroll the pathetic small window as you can't see the whole screen.

It's also buggy as hell (even with Paul's rom) so I can only imagine how crap it is stock.

Dissapointed. I'll buy an iPad.

Guest removed-14
Dissapointed. I'll buy an iPad.

What a shame. Hope you enjoy your iPad. I suggest selling your Vega on ebay rather than returning it. Not only will another user get one sooner than buying from DSG but you can easily make a profit on the RRP!

Guest shadwell_lad
What a shame. Hope you enjoy your iPad. I suggest selling your Vega on ebay rather than returning it. Not only will another user get one sooner than buying from DSG but you can easily make a profit on the RRP!

I'm not looking to make a huge profit, really just cover my costs, but will probably put it on eBay

I think I will wait until Jan to see what comes up. There should be lots of choices in Jan, hopefully around the same price point but with an improved screen

Guest warriorscot

I get the software is buggy but that is an early adopters thing, I don't see the point in sending it back because of the software when its going to get updated to a much more tablet orientated version of Android pretty soon. I do get sending it back because of the screen its not an issue for me mines isn't fantastic but its not bad enough its a problem on mine.

Guest What If

The way I see the screen viewing angle problem is that this device is really for the user to view what is on screen and not the person sat next to them.

It is a personnel tablet so only needs to look good when viewing directly on.

It's too small to have a group of people huddled around it trying to watch something on it anyway...

Guest unholyimp

Can't see what some of you are talking about. OK I really only use it for a bit of web browsing and social networking Facebook and Twitter. Bit of Skype and Ebuddy to chat with friends. Oh and watching movies/TV series on my hour long journey to work.

So maybe I'm missing something but in my mind a tablet is not a full spec PC but a handy gadget to do just the sort of things above maybe include a bit docs and simple excel stuff and its all good.

what are you doing to make it so unstable??

Guest Qwertymon
What happens to the Vega's that are returned either to online depot or to a shop directly? Do you think the shops try to re-sell?

I got my Vega yesterday but don't think I will be holding onto it, purely because the screen is awful. I thought it would have similar viewing angles to my laptop screen but it is far worse than that. Otherwise, not a bad bit of kit, greatly improved by Paul's work

If it is returned as faulty it will be sent to newark, if it is returned as working, it will be remastered (reflashed, lol) and re sold, most likely to a member of staff or a very lucky customer that gets there before the staff member, I know full well in my store there is at least one other person that if given the chance would jump on it to buy it.

On a side note IM happy with my vega, very very happy it does everything I wanted it to and expected it too, what it cant do my gaming pc can.

The point is the apps aren't anywhere near there yet. 2/10 apps scale properly, that's just not a good enough ratio for me.

When the competition is so tough you have to make something worth using.

I'm no Apple fanboy and that's for sure, I think I'll wait 6 months for the platform to mature then I'll pick one of these up.

It's a prototype the Galaxy Tab feels much better as they put some effort into the UI. What did Advent do? A modded notification bar that people are getting rid of? A launcher that is well... rubbish.

I'm not slagging it off I just don't feel like it's in the same ballpark as the GTab or the iPad.

Googles own apps won't even scale for flip sake! Download Google Reader and try and use it. Android is not ready for the tablet space in it's current incarnation.

Guest removed-14
The point is the apps aren't anywhere near there yet. 2/10 apps scale properly, that's just not a good enough ratio for me.

I've found few apps that don't look right on the Vega, and I got mine on day 1 so I've tested plenty.

The competition is nearly double the price in some cases. In others £150 - £200 more. Not a level playing field for comparison in my opinion.

It's a prototype the Galaxy Tab feels much better as they put some effort into the UI. What did Advent do? A modded notification bar that people are getting rid of? A launcher that is well... rubbish.

The launcher IS rubbish. So download LauncherPro from the Market.

I'm not slagging it off I just don't feel like it's in the same ballpark as the GTab or the iPad.

It isn't. But then it isn't in the same price bracket either. You can't compare a FIAT with a VW.

Android is not ready for the tablet space in it's current incarnation.

Android is ready but the complaints you have are to be reflected on the developers. Android has been able to scale to ANY resolution from 1.6. It is just developers are new to these screen resolutions. It happened when the Tattoo came out. Screen too small for some apps. Slowly more apps work with it. The GTab works because it has the same resolution of my HTC Desire! I like having 1024 x 600.

Guest jasonic8

I think things will improve rapidly from now on (2.3 SDK, kernel availability, 3.0 next year). If you can live with the screen and are happy to follow forums like these and apply updates I'd hang on and see how things develop.

I've found few apps that don't look right on the Vega, and I got mine on day 1 so I've tested plenty.

The competition is nearly double the price in some cases. In others £150 - £200 more. Not a level playing field for comparison in my opinion.

The launcher IS rubbish. So download LauncherPro from the Market.

It isn't. But then it isn't in the same price bracket either. You can't compare a FIAT with a VW.

Android is ready but the complaints you have are to be reflected on the developers. Android has been able to scale to ANY resolution from 1.6. It is just developers are new to these screen resolutions. It happened when the Tattoo came out. Screen too small for some apps. Slowly more apps work with it. The GTab works because it has the same resolution of my HTC Desire! I like having 1024 x 600.

I agree it's not in the same price bracket. I guess that's a matter of preference but to me the money would be better spent waiting and putting it towards an iPad.

I'm using LauncherPro and have set it up to my tastes, hell, I've set the whole device up but I'm disappointed in the apps, that's why I bought it!

I wonder how long it will take for devs to catch up with the tablet space?

Guest warriorscot

You are going to have the same problem on any android tablet with apps. To be honest with 2.3 coming out so soon after release if I were them I wouldn't have put all that work in to trying to shoehorn 2.2 into perfection and then get it all wiped out with the planned 2.3 update.

The ipad and Tab cost MUCH more than the Vega and its compatriots. To expect the same from them is a bit unrealistic and when you get down to brass tacs the Tab has its own share of problems and most of them are the same as the ones on the Vega and when you consider the price difference I would be way more annoyed having those problems if I paid tab prices. And I really couldn't stand the apple lock down or the prices on an iPad.

Guest removed-14
I agree it's not in the same price bracket. I guess that's a matter of preference but to me the money would be better spent waiting and putting it towards an iPad.

I'm using LauncherPro and have set it up to my tastes, hell, I've set the whole device up but I'm disappointed in the apps, that's why I bought it!

I wonder how long it will take for devs to catch up with the tablet space?

Not sure how long it will take but developers soon got the hang of developing for the increased iPad/iPhone 4 screen sizes so who knows...

Guest griff_dai

I really still fail to understand the complaints?

The thing with the Vega is surely that its going to be officially updated (according to the Vega team) and is also being updated by the android community. This is giving people a tablet that at least match's the Tab at nearly half of the price.

It's not meant to be a replacement device for social use, it's a personal tablet that is being transformed by the community into a unique piece of tech!

The fact is that the whole experience will enable you to do more than the walled apple garden, surely means that 'the pay off for the screen' is for the use you can get out of it?

Now, if apple relent on the use of Flash, well then you have an argument. Until then I can see this tablet selling by the bucket load.

Guest slarti99

It's simple !

This device is worth £250 easy. It will probably drop to £199 in a few months and then I will buy a second and give the first one to the kids and teach them that Apples give you colic !

Guest SilentMobius

I'm no Apple fanboy and that's for sure, I think I'll wait 6 months for the platform to mature then I'll pick one of these up.

Googles own apps won't even scale for flip sake! Download Google Reader and try and use it. Android is not ready for the tablet space in it's current incarnation.

Odd, other that the bug in the newly released beta of Google reader I haven't seen any apps fail to scale. Personally I prefer feedr anyway. I really don't get what people were expecting for _half_ the price of the nearest competition.

I would pay more for a better screen and a bigger battery but overall I would not get £200+ worth of extra functionality out of an ipad nor a galaxy tab

Guest removed-14
Odd, other that the bug in the newly released beta of Google reader I haven't seen any apps fail to scale. Personally I prefer feedr anyway. I really don't get what people were expecting for _half_ the price of the nearest competition.

I would pay more for a better screen and a bigger battery but overall I would not get £200+ worth of extra functionality out of an ipad nor a galaxy tab

Absolutely, you only need to look at the crappy resistive screen based Android tablets available on ebay to see what a bargain the Vega is.

Guest mclanecxantia
It's simple !

This device is worth £250 easy. It will probably drop to £199 in a few months and then I will buy a second and give the first one to the kids and teach them that Apples give you colic !

i don't understand those sidekicks to apple.

the screen of the ipad is maybe worth 200$.

its a very good screen/display.

i was in a shop here in germany and watched

ipad, samsung galaxy, wetab, toshiba folio

and it was clear how superior the display of the ipad was.

Guest Qwertymon

I dont understand this screen angle view crap, Its just me using it, wtf does the angle have to do with that? I mean if I want to watch something from it with friends im just gonna use the hdmi and slap it in the 40" telly now arnt I, the screen on the device is plenty enough.

Guest warriorscot
I dont understand this screen angle view crap, Its just me using it, wtf does the angle have to do with that? I mean if I want to watch something from it with friends im just gonna use the hdmi and slap it in the 40" telly now arnt I, the screen on the device is plenty enough.

Ditto one person at a time viewing angles don't matter. Only issue is in portrait mode the viewing angle is really tight and not all of the panels on all the vegas are the same mine is ok but some are going to be a wee bit better and some a wee bit worse.

Viewing angle is also important when you don't want to hold the pad up all the time. It would be good to have a decent viewing angle when the pad was flat on a table - yes, you can see enough, but it isn't brilliant. For landscape viewing with more than one person, the angles are fine IMHO.