Issues I'm facing with the MoDaCo Custom ROM Desire Port r24

Guest Aviatorboy

Guest Aviatorboy

Hi there,

As suggested by LCG I'm starting a new topic with all the issues I've faced so far with this MoDaCo Custom ROM Desire Port r24.

Any help is more than welcomed:

1) Trackball Alert: Recently I uninstalled the App because every morning when I woke 1/3 of my battery is gone due to the trackball flashing. I uninstalled it, reboot and it still flashed upon receiving incoming Emails, SMS, etc... so I went into Settings>Display and there I realize that there is a Notificacion flash, I unticked all the options: SMS, Email... rebooted and it still flashes!!!

Please for a better understanding check picture 1.

2) This one is most annoying, I have problems with Network Mode: when phone is in GSM/WCDMA auto. The phone never gets any Network Operator and I have a cross on top right of the screen. Switching it to GSM mode only, allows me to manually select a network operator. in Automatic mode, i get SIM registration failure.

Please for a better understanding check picture 2

3) The next one deals with the Camera: Everytime I take a picture or a video = Phone reboots.

that's it for now. Please check pictures.

Any help is most welcomed!

post-782688-1291821032_thumb.png

post-782688-1291821197_thumb.png

Edited by Aviatorboy

Hello,

First of all, I don't really use the Sense port (if I wanted Sense, I would have bought a Desire ;) ). So take my comment with a grain of salt.

Any help is more than welcomed:

1) Trackball Alert: [...]

Hmmm, it works fine on my Nexus One with the rooted stock ROM. But somebody else who knows the Desire port would have to comment on this one.

2) This one is most annoying, I have problems with Network Mode: when phone is in GSM/WCDMA auto. The phone never gets any Network Operator and I have a cross on top right of the screen. Switching it to GSM mode only, allows me to manually select a network operator. in Automatic mode, i get SIM registration failure.

Please for a better understanding check picture 2

3) The next one deals with the Camera: Everytime I take a picture or a video = Phone reboots.

that's it for now. Please check pictures.

Any help is most welcomed!

Hmmm, to me, this sounds like a problem with the radio image. Both the GSM/radio part as well as the camera use the radio image to access the hardware, AFAIK. Did you update your phone's radio when you flashed the Desire port? (I am not sure if this is necessary for the Desire port, so it's probably better to ask another user of that particular ROM.)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

lcg

Guest Aviatorboy

Hi there again,

In order to flash this zip I've found to address the network problem, network.zip. I'm being asked through RA to install nexus-addon-0.1-signed. I know i already did this when I followed the steps to root my N1. Now I wonder what happens If I flash it again? Will I brick it?

what does this nexus-addon-0.1-signed do?

thanks

In order to flash this zip I've found to address the network problem, network.zip. I'm being asked through RA to install nexus-addon-0.1-signed. I know i already did this when I followed the steps to root my N1. Now I wonder what happens If I flash it again? Will I brick it?

what does this nexus-addon-0.1-signed do?

I honestly have no idea what you did to your N1 and what mixture of guides you followed. All MCRs, including the Desire sense port you installed, are already rooted (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Over this already rooted ROM, you installed nexus-addon-0.1-signed.zip (presumably from here). From what I can gather, this dates back to January 2010, to root the stock firmware back then. It lists a custom kernel being in there, which, in all likelyhood, is not compatible with your current radio. Doing that is pretty much like dropping a 1960s Porsche engine into a Prius and then wondering why the Prius is acting up. So, IMO, your phone is way beyond being fixed right now.

I suggest you start over, flashing your phone completely back to stock. You can start from scratch using these steps (and these steps only):

1. Grab the latest stock firmware FRG83 in image format (not update.zip) from here
  2. Download the Nexus One Desire port from here; use one of the prebakes just to make sure your problems aren't caused by something you put in or left out
  3. Put the prebake .zip on your SD card
  4. Shut down your phone, from here on you either use the recovery or fastboot for the following; avoid booting your phone inbetween (it shouldn't be harmful, but it's not necessary either, so let's avoid it)
  5. Flash the latest recovery via fastboot, either AmonRA or Clockwork are fine
  6. From the recovery, do a factory reset of your phone
  7. Use fastboot to flash all parts of the firmware, except for recovery; check the page with the stock ROMs for instructions how to use fastboot
  8. Use the recovery to install the prebaked Desire port from your SD card
  9. Start using your phone and check if everything's working (<- This is the first time after the explicit shutdown before that you are actually fully booting into Android)
If any of these points are unclear, you should read up on that or ask back. Do not simply install anything because it was mentioned in some guide, maybe for a completely different phone or ROM.

Also, I suggest you read the guide for your specific MCR you want to install and follow it to the letter. To quote Paul "READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know."

HTH,

lcg

Edited by Guest

Guest Aviatorboy

Hi LCG,

First of All, I wanted to thank you for the time and effort you put into explaining a beginner like myself all the steps to follow.

I sincerely hope that other people will benefit from this guide.

I really loved your comparison with the Porsche & the Prius, as a car enthusiast now I understood how much I have f**ked up my Nexus Phone!

I will follow the steps from next week that I will be on holiday.

Take care & Merry X-mas LCG!

:)

Guest Aviatorboy

This is another silly thing, yet extremely annoying thing...

I have reinstalled 2 times the r24 on the rooted Nexus One.

And sometimes when I least expect it, the phone shuts down.

I have 2 batteries, the original + a spare one.

And it still shutsdown, 2 times/day in the last week.

Specially annoying, for example if I set my alarm and the phone shutsdown during the night...

ANY THOUGHTS?

:(

Guest Nerds 2 You

Specially annoying, for example if I set my alarm and the phone shutsdown during the night...

ANY THOUGHTS?

:(

I have the same issue, it does not shut down so much as it freezes/locks up.

Guest RunTimeWorld
I have the same issue, it does not shut down so much as it freezes/locks up.

Honestly I haven't experienced any of the mentioned problems. One thing I appreciate about Modaco's releases is the stability and solid tested professional ROMs. Latest example is the whining for gingerbread... its not the timeframe, neither the quantitiy, but the quality that makes Modaco outstanding.

So far my 2 cents, and no, I don't get payed for such statements ;-)

ANY THOUGHTS?

:unsure:

Honestly? Install an original ROM and completely wipe your device. I and a lot of the others don't have the same problem as you do, so I can only speculate what's causing it. But if you require absolute stability, you need to take a custom ROM out of the equation. Install the original stock ROM for your phone, it doesn't get any more stable and vanilla than that. If that still doesn't help, you need to look into the applications you installed. I once tested a wifi management app, which would enable and disable wifi depending on the cell IDs the phone sees. My phone started crashing and stopped when I removed that application.

Regards,

lcg