Dell streak and annoing reboots.

Guest wgizmo

Guest popetodd

Only one:

Wipe all the programs and data, downgrade to 1.5.1 then upgrade to 1.5.2 again.

Wait a bit to see if it keeps rebooting without any additional software on it.

If it does it may be a faulty component that has a low tolerance for heat that causes it to core dump and reset when it heats up.

If it does not keep rebooting then you know at this point that it is some bit of software you have loaded and that the device itself is not at fault.

At that point you can try loading one bit of software at a time and waiting to see which one took out your device.

If you are overclocking at all in any way all bets are off, I have found some units are overly sensitive to an overclock and will reboot even at a low overclock setting.

My wife's is like that and will reboot if overclocked to anything over stock while the one I have runs up to full speed on 1.5.2 no problem.

Edited by popetodd

Guest DMax99

I flashed mine to 1.5.1 then to 1.5.2 yesterday. It reboots like hell, it does it like 3 seconds after each time I turn the phone on, so basically cannot get the phone to turn on. Found out that the problem is that I cannot use wifi and gps together. I'm on the no baseband version

Guest bulldog82

I have been using the Streak already 3 months and rarely I experienced sudden reboots. Those occasions I encountered ( I do remember only 3 times ) I trace it down to system apps/widgets not compatible. To eliminate the cause - do a factory reset and do not install any 3rd party apps yet. If issue persists - it is most probably hardware related - quite few users had associated these with battery loose, sim card issues etc

However I can safely said if one install apps that are not officially downloaded from market but from dubious/warez sources - just blame yourself for doing so. My neighbour is such a guy , always asking and comparing why his unit sudden freezes, GPS lockup inconsistent, frequent reboots etc. After using the phone for a month he did a factory reset and stayed away from such unofficial apps and installed apps from market, those he like he paid for it and he updated me most of his problems were gone eliminating hardware issue

My unit has been on cooked rom after day one : 2.1 build 6941, then to Stephen's 1.1.1, 1.4.6, 1.5.1 and now 1.5.2 .

Guest bulldog82
I flashed mine to 1.5.1 then to 1.5.2 yesterday. It reboots like hell, it does it like 3 seconds after each time I turn the phone on, so basically cannot get the phone to turn on. Found out that the problem is that I cannot use wifi and gps together. I'm on the no baseband version

Why don't you try again - this time clear cache, dalvik at clockwork recovery before flashing the new zip. After that reinstall your apps manually and do not use any recovery software to restore apps

Guest pogele

if anyone bothers to know on my progress, my Streak has gone from random reboots (with Steve's 1.5.2 factory default, no additional apps installed) to a bricked black slap. It happened when I turned on GPS to get location, then auto rebooted and hung at Dell logo. After that, no matter what recovery/re-flashing procedures I tried I could not get it to boot up properly anymore. Was able to recover using QDLTool & StreakMod recovery last time, but it doesn't work anymore after multiple tries.

any kind souls have any relevant advice (pls read my previous posts on this thread for the history) for this tortured soul of mine? B) Much appreciated in advance.

btw, the Streak god punished me for saying "I feel nauseous whenever I see that f**king Dell logo", as I suffered from diarrhea with nausea literally shortly after that comment :unsure:

Edited by pogele

Guest Edrill
if anyone bothers to know on my progress, my Streak has gone from random reboots (with Steve's 1.5.2 factory default, no additional apps installed) to a bricked black slap. It happened when I turned on GPS to get location, then auto rebooted and hung at Dell logo. After that, no matter what recovery/re-flashing procedures I tried I could not get it to boot up properly anymore. Was able to recover using QDLTool & StreakMod recovery last time, but it doesn't work anymore after multiple tries.

any kind souls have any relevant advice (pls read my previous posts on this thread for the history) for this tortured soul of mine? B) Much appreciated in advance.

btw, the Streak god punished for saying "I feel nauseous whenever I see that f**king Dell logo", as I suffered from diarrhea with nausea literally shortly after that comment :unsure:

Sorry to hear about that, dude. I suppose the reboots could've been caused by some or the other app that may have been installed.

At this point, you could try the following:

1) Boot into recovery and flash 1.5.1

2) Let the phone boot up all the way. It usually takes around five minutes or more for the first boot. If it gets stuck, do a factory reset and then try reflashing 1.5.1 again.

3) After successfully booting 1.5.1, go to fastboot and flash the new baseband for 1.5.2. Let the phone boot up again.

4) Now go back to recovery and flash 1.5.2. Again, the first boot will usually take a while.

Hopefully this should get you up and running.

Guest pogele
Sorry to hear about that, dude. I suppose the reboots could've been caused by some or the other app that may have been installed.

At this point, you could try the following:

1) Boot into recovery and flash 1.5.1

2) Let the phone boot up all the way. It usually takes around five minutes or more for the first boot. If it gets stuck, do a factory reset and then try reflashing 1.5.1 again.

3) After successfully booting 1.5.1, go to fastboot and flash the new baseband for 1.5.2. Let the phone boot up again.

4) Now go back to recovery and flash 1.5.2. Again, the first boot will usually take a while.

Hopefully this should get you up and running.

thanks for advice. Yep 1.5.2 was the culprit, I managed to boot up by flashing 1.5.1 again. Now upgraded from 1.5.1 to 1.5.3, still getting random reboots but at least the phone is back to functional level again.

Guest SKYSCRAPER04
thanks for advice. Yep 1.5.2 was the culprit, I managed to boot up by flashing 1.5.1 again. Now upgraded from 1.5.1 to 1.5.3, still getting random reboots but at least the phone is back to functional level again.

i have i worst problem,mine does reboot and factory reset and im not really sure whether the application or the device itself causes it...but guys try to erases all the content of your SD card before doing that make sure you a copy.and do flashing again it might work

Guest brokenpixel
i have i worst problem,mine does reboot and factory reset and im not really sure whether the application or the device itself causes it...but guys try to erases all the content of your SD card before doing that make sure you a copy.and do flashing again it might work

You can always format all partitions, data system user, whatever shows in the partition section of CWM (format everything but the SD). then apply stock O2 2.1 and start from there. I had a bad Internal SD card and had to stick a new one in (Kind of what you will be doing if you format all the internal SD) and I have had about 2 random reboots (I beleive it was the battery door) in the last 2 months or so., I'm running Steve's 1.1.1 :D

Guest wgizmo

OKi, before i sent streak back to dell if i install 1.5.3 on my streak i will lose warranty? On mine on offcial 2.2 o2 i have a loot of random lock screens and stuff cant even unlock streak without teaking battery to reboot and go to screen calibration to make it working again. I just want them to look at my streak but dunno why its happening now. I never had problems on 1.6. All started after month or so of using 2.1 and all apps ware from Market offcial ones.

Guest SKYSCRAPER04
You can always format all partitions, data system user, whatever shows in the partition section of CWM (format everything but the SD). then apply stock O2 2.1 and start from there. I had a bad Internal SD card and had to stick a new one in (Kind of what you will be doing if you format all the internal SD) and I have had about 2 random reboots (I beleive it was the battery door) in the last 2 months or so., I'm running Steve's 1.1.1 :D

i will try it tonight thanks man

Guest Pceasar
OKi, before i sent streak back to dell if i install 1.5.3 on my streak i will lose warranty? On mine on offcial 2.2 o2 i have a loot of random lock screens and stuff cant even unlock streak without teaking battery to reboot and go to screen calibration to make it working again. I just want them to look at my streak but dunno why its happening now. I never had problems on 1.6. All started after month or so of using 2.1 and all apps ware from Market offcial ones.

The unlocking thing is common even with streaks straight from dell, its either a pocket thing or a things in your handbag thing, they touch your screen and there throws it for a loop. Anyways two methods, either hold the volume button while unlocking or try using the two finger approach one to pull the slider and one to hit the dot at the far opposite end of the slider. I cane up with the volume thing and it works every time for me

Guest vinokirk

Just my 2p worth,:

Mine has had random reboots from day one. There are two main types of reboot i get.

The first type is where the dell logo appears then the phone boots as if i have just done a battery pull.

The second type is a little better, the dell logo appears and then after around 10 secs my desktop is displayed again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest undrwater

I have had these problem with random reboot since day one, and over two different phones. I'm am debating asking for another, but I am curious to get a response from folks in here. I think I may have found the culprit for my device (YMMV), and I believe it is heat. I typically run into the reboot when navigating, and my phone is in the window dock of my car...between the windshield and dash. It gets pretty hot there even on cold days as the dash is a dark color, and seems t be a material that holds or releases heat pretty readily.

I recently downloaded widgetsoid, and used the battery temp widget...so I'm trying to monitor if there is a specific temp that will force the reboot. I do notice that using GPS increases the temp by at least 10 degrees celcius (33 -> 43), which is pretty significant. The commuter case seems to make it hotter as well...so I will be trying to go naked (well...the phone anyway) and see if the reboots quiet down.

I'm wondering if someone who has had NO reboots could attempt to generate one by sitting in a hot car, and playing a heavy game or doing a stretch of GPS driving (about 30 minutes).

If certain streaks handle heat better, I think I'll take a chance and get a replacement.

OKi i just received "Refurbished" Streak from Hungary. It wos collected at 19.01.2011 and today is 24.01.2011 then im very happy about it. So far no 02 logo on boot but nice dell animated logo :lol:. Baseband is: GAUSB1A131800-EU and kernel is: 2.6.32.9-perf with android 2.2 version. So far looks like working faster than before service. I will start instaling my apps and testing my streak but my questions is did they send me unlocked one or kinda updated? Looks diffrent than this os which i had before with 02 logo. Will report some more soon.

OKi i just received "Refurbished" Streak from Hungary. It wos collected at 19.01.2011 and today is 24.01.2011 then im very happy about it. So far no 02 logo on boot but nice dell animated logo :lol:. Baseband is: GAUSB1A131800-EU and kernel is: 2.6.32.9-perf with android 2.2 version. So far looks like working faster than before service. I will start instaling my apps and testing my streak but my questions is did they send me unlocked one or kinda updated? Looks diffrent than this os which i had before with 02 logo. Will report some more soon.

according to your baseband - you are now sporting an unlocked streak.

Guest undrwater

My phone rebooted during a business call recently. That won't do. If it is heat, this unit is particularly succeptable to overheating. Back to Dell it goes.

I also suspect this is a heat-related problem, which would explain why I only started getting the reboots about a month ago, when temperatures here in the southern hemisphere became noticeably higher as we entered the summer season.

Saturday when it was hotter than before at about 34 deg C, I had more reboots than usual. My reboots happen mostly while browsing (both Dolphin as well as the stock browser), but the device doesn't feel noticeably warmer to the touch at all?

I really hope I'm wrong because I also have a warranty problem since my Streak is an O2 UK now unlocked unit while I'm in a country where the streak has not been released yet, and may never be.

At least if it's a faulty internal sd card, then I reckon I can manage to open the unit and swop out the 2gb microsd card myself.

Edited by SAman1

• 1 month later...
Guest SAman1
I think you should send back streak to dell then meaby they will replace it like they did with mine after 5 days :D

Is your replacement unit still working perfectly without rebooting now? I sent mine away and hopeful that it will be replaced and I will enjoy using my Streak again.

Guest bluelife

In my opinion, I think it is a hardware issue, DS is randomly restart cause the battery cover is not perfectly fit the Streak. You may cut a name card and stick it in the battery cover. Hopefully, it will help you. :D

Guest SAman1
In my opinion, I think it is a hardware issue, DS is randomly restart cause the battery cover is not perfectly fit the Streak. You may cut a name card and stick it in the battery cover. Hopefully, it will help you. :D

Thanks, but I'm fairly certain it's not the battery cover causing the problem. Even if the Streak is lying still it would randomly reset. Besides if it were the cover moving, I believe it would just power down, not flash it's touch buttons and restart itself.

If one deliberately removes it's cover while the phone is powered on it would just die, and you would have to manually switch it on again when the cover is replaced for it to power back on. I suspect it's a component(s) that is overheating and cannot be fixed, just replacing the device will solve the problem.