• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Light Tablet

btw, can you give the other features a go, backup and restore are I guess the best ones to try...

Backup and restore work fine. I've tried a few other things and can't find any issues other than the adb shell.

M.

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Devices:lots of them
  • Twitter:@sebastian404
Cool, I've had a look at the dump from the OPTUS device, and its recovery ADBD is also the standard one...

when your using b3, you can get connected but when you type nothing appears on screen? have you tried typing commands anyway, incase it is the local echo?

I guess we'll have to fall back to the symlink for now.. B)

http://android.podtwo.com/light/

Check out b5 :unsure:

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Not just local echo no. B5 appears to have the old adbd as expected, but the symlink must be missing (cannot find /system/bin/sh)

In your previous post you mentioned that to compile Cyanogen you need to make device files (I assume what go under /device/zte/blah).

Are the files for the Blade available online ? Or, the ones you have been using for the Light ?

Keen to get my own build on there to remove all the vendor branding/apps. Baby steps :-)

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Not just local echo no. B5 appears to have the old adbd as expected, but the symlink must be missing (cannot find /system/bin/sh)

Grrr, I knew I should of tested that :unsure:

I make a symbolic link this time.... let me know if that works..

b6

Edited by Sebastian404, 05 January 2011 - 01:55 AM.

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

In your previous post you mentioned that to compile Cyanogen you need to make device files (I assume what go under /device/zte/blah).

Are the files for the Blade available online ? Or, the ones you have been using for the Light ?

Keen to get my own build on there to remove all the vendor branding/apps. Baby steps :-)

for me, I put mine under device/zte/blade (or device/zte/light)..

if you have a look in the device directory there are lots of example ones.. its the BoardConfig.mk you need to fill out.

Bear in mind a lot of the stuff in there is to do with hardware drivers.. wifi/ril/etc/etc...

There was a guy on the blade forum who was looking into porting CyanogenMod to the blade... you might want to see how he got on... it seems to be fairly similar device.

If I get time tomorrow I'll knock up some recovery zips from the two dumps I have, so you can get an idea of how they work and start hacking your own firmware :unsure:

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Still no symlink. In fact, there is no /system folder at all in that ramdisk.

There is a /bin/sh symlink though .....

Edited by serialmonkey, 05 January 2011 - 02:02 AM.

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

If I get time tomorrow I'll knock up some recovery zips from the two dumps I have, so you can get an idea of how they work and start hacking your own firmware :unsure:

Thanks !!

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Still no symlink. In fact, there is no /system folder at all in that ramdisk.

There is a /bin/sh symlink though .....

aRGH! knackers... SYSTEM/BIN not /BIN...

I will learn to read one day... or maybe think....

trying something different tho

b7

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Something different ?

adb doesn't recognise the device at all now. Doesn't appear in 'adb devices' despite showing in lsusb with the correct ID. Want me to reboot fully to make sure ?

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
FWIW, I've compiled up my own recovery now based on the latest froyo cryanogen source and I get the same issue withe adb.

Question - how did you manage to get the build system to replace the stock init.rc with your own ? Naming it init.blade.rc gets it into the root image but not the recovery image, and it seems that even if you insert it into the root folder next to usb.conf, etc that it always gets overwritten to the stock during a future step in the build process. In the end I hacked the make files to get mine to work but that obviously isn't optimal.

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Something different ?

adb doesn't recognise the device at all now. Doesn't appear in 'adb devices' despite showing in lsusb with the correct ID. Want me to reboot fully to make sure ?

Ok, I was trying to avoid this, but I've put a nasty little hack into the init.rc to create a symlink...

recovery mounts stuff down /system/ hence the idea of having everything in /sbin/

Can you give this a go and let me know if you see anything else up:

b8

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

FWIW, I've compiled up my own recovery now based on the latest froyo cryanogen source and I get the same issue withe adb.

Question - how did you manage to get the build system to replace the stock init.rc with your own ? Naming it init.blade.rc gets it into the root image but not the recovery image, and it seems that even if you insert it into the root folder next to usb.conf, etc that it always gets overwritten to the stock during a future step in the build process. In the end I hacked the make files to get mine to work but that obviously isn't optimal.

I've been meaning to upload my files to github..

http://github.com/se...evice_zte_light

Edited by Sebastian404, 05 January 2011 - 09:22 PM.

alpha xs

alpha xs

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Devices:Boston + ZTE V9
  • Twitter:@alphaxs
Hi guys!
Good job so far!

Just want to add free network unlocking site!!!

www.nextgenserver.com/calculator/

It works with the blade, and reading what you said about the similarities of the devices, i give it a try.
Didn't wokr the first 3 attempts (don't know why...) but finally it came trough!

I've selecte ZTE » ZTE Blade Android and that's it!!!

Network Sim Unlocked!

Best Regards!

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

I've been meaning to upload my files to github..
http://github.com/se...evice_zte_light

Thanks !! I'll compare them to mine tonight.

Can you give this a go and let me know if you see anything else up:

I'll try and test this today sometime. Thanks

Edited by serialmonkey, 05 January 2011 - 09:45 PM.

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
B8 looks good ! I say that is a recovery image for the masses. Who do we need to shake to get a ZTE Light forum here on Modaco ?

In B8, the adbd, is that one you compiled from cryanogen or did you extract that from a romdump ? (i.e. why doesn't this one hang on adb shell)

Now that I can build my own recovery image (and thanks for your github code, I see how you got your init.rc in there), what barriers can I expect in building a new boot.img and system.img. I tried a make bacon instead of make recoveryimage but it got a fair way through before failing with a java compilation error. I'm yet to find time and go back to dig further.

Thanks again for all your help by the way, especially since you don't even have a ZTE light :-)

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

B8 looks good ! I say that is a recovery image for the masses. Who do we need to shake to get a ZTE Light forum here on Modaco ?

In B8, the adbd, is that one you compiled from cryanogen or did you extract that from a romdump ? (i.e. why doesn't this one hang on adb shell)

Now that I can build my own recovery image (and thanks for your github code, I see how you got your init.rc in there), what barriers can I expect in building a new boot.img and system.img. I tried a make bacon instead of make recoveryimage but it got a fair way through before failing with a java compilation error. I'm yet to find time and go back to dig further.

Thanks again for all your help by the way, especially since you don't even have a ZTE light :-)

Your welcome, I hope to one day get a ZTE light.. assuming they ever make it here..

to be honest, its a NASTY NASTY hack I'm put in, making a symlink to /sbin/sh, the recovery ADBD should point to /sbin/sh because the recovery program (even the 'offical' one) mounts stuff to /system/ when its doing to recovery... so if you start the recovery off and then do an ADB your using the rom's shell, not the recovery shell, could cause problems.

I'm not sure if there is any point in feeding it back to ZTE as the language barrier seems to hard to break

I did not really look that closely at the init.rc scripts in the boot, but ZTE made a total mess of the ones on the Blade, I'd expect they did the same with the Light.. tho maybe they have learned better....

I'd say you should get a Forum for the device, apart from Paul I'm not sure who you should bug tho... try posting in here

The hardest part of messing about with Android is getting your build environment set up right, having the right version of Java is allways a good one.. I spent about 2 hours this afternoon messing about with another project before I realized it was because I was using Java 1.6 rather than 1.5 ...

Gingerbread needs a 64bit build environment, so I'm going to have to start the long and painful process all over again soon :unsure:

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I'm going to have to buy a 64bit machine first ! :-) Took me awhile to even find a working JDK1.5 download link on Oracle's site.

serialmonkey

serialmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Question - in your device_blade.mk (from your blade GIT) I see the following line

pathmap_INCL := recovery:device/zte/blade/recovery

But it's missing from device_light.mk. Isn't this the line that causes the files in recovery/etc (usb.conf, init.rc, etc) to be pulled into the image ? If I insert the pathmap_INCL into my device_light.mk then it does appear to pull the contents of recover/etc correctly. I'm still having 'adb shell' hang on me though despite the two new lines in init.rc-fixed, permissions thing.

Edited by serialmonkey, 06 January 2011 - 05:12 AM.

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Question - in your device_blade.mk (from your blade GIT) I see the following line

pathmap_INCL := recovery:device/zte/blade/recovery

But it's missing from device_light.mk. Isn't this the line that causes the files in recovery/etc (usb.conf, init.rc, etc) to be pulled into the image ? If I insert the pathmap_INCL into my device_light.mk then it does appear to pull the contents of recover/etc correctly.

Thats very odd, the device_blade.mk is generated 'automaticaly' by script, so I' not sure why it missed that out... but yes it should be there

I'm still having 'adb shell' hang on me though despite the two new lines in init.rc-fixed, permissions thing.

Is that with your build? or my b8? if its mine let me know what you did so I can fix it and promote it to 'final'

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
BTW.... if your FEELING BRAVE...

http://support.zte.c...?newsId=1000462

Kernel source is out.... if you can get that to build/work... then we can add EXT3 support to clockwork mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users