USB-host mode enabled boot and system dump

Guest rvdgeer

Guest MarkoUK
It's part of the "Recovery image and flash utility - DOWNLOAD - MD5: e61b18479197a52926046dca48d41438" which you will find on page 1 of the "29/Nov 2.5.1.3: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega" pinned topic. Download and unzip it, you won't need the recovery.img.

Here's a picture of my Vega with a Kingston DataTraveler poking out of the top.

post-797214-1292542905_thumb.jpg

Ahhh, I thought it was within ROM Manager.

I'll go get it now and get this set up.

Thanks

Guest bazzlad

Silly me, I appear to have bricked my Vega (turns on, says "booting", then just black screens).

Sounds stupid, but the only thing I did differently was to copy and paste the flash_image file rather than push it.

Don't make my mistake and be lazy (I couldn't be bothered to go and get my ubuntu laptop).

Now to find out about this recovery mode .... :)

Guest jellywobbles
Unless the slave script is run, you are permenantly in Host mode, as it is the kernel which enables this on boot, you can't just swap back and forth in android unless we get the kernel source and implement it. Ignore the first download I hosted, the 70MB+ one, just get the one at the top of page 4, ensure you have Unless Paul has some tricks up his sleeve?

Cheer Jordan! Just one further query that is puzzling me - what part does ClockWork mod play in all of this? Do I have to use Clockwork Mod to carry out the USB Host Mode modification?

Thanks again for your help :)

jellyW

Guest gingercat
Cheer Jordan! Just one further query that is puzzling me - what part does ClockWork mod play in all of this? Do I have to use Clockwork Mod to carry out the USB Host Mode modification?

Thanks again for your help :)

jellyW

Part of the ClockworkMod package is a tool that is used to flash images to the device, that's the bit you can use for this mod. Don't install the full clockworkmod package (including the recovery image) as that isn't fully working yet (can result in your device failing to boot).

Guest bazzlad
I'm guessing the file permissions wouldn't have been correct if you just did a copy?

I assume that's the issue - got it working now.

Immediate bad news.

USB game controllers don't appear to work

(Tested using Snesdroid and a Logitech Precision)

This needs to be fixed!

So why is the POV's boot.img twice the size as the Vega one? weird.

That's because the POV one is a 'dump', so it's dumped the whole boot area, not just what's used.

So the POV file is just 'padded'.

P

Guest removed-14
I assume that's the issue - got it working now.

Immediate bad news.

USB game controllers don't appear to work

(Tested using Snesdroid and a Logitech Precision)

This needs to be fixed!

I would guess this is because either:

* No driver support in Android

* The emulator is not expecting input from that device.

In both cases I'm guessing it would be like plugging in a Logitech Steering Wheel into a Wii for Mario Kart.

In both cases I'm guessing it would be like plugging in a Logitech Steering Wheel into a Wii for Mario Kart.

Exactly the issue. The wiimote does work if you pair it via bluetooth though :)

Guest bazzlad

I understand that, but pretty much every OS ever auto detects Gamepads, I'd have thought android would have done!

Interesting issue 2:

If you put in a usb stick and find it using ifilemanager, then remove the stick, then place it back in - it's not found until you reboot.

Am testing other file managers (but have tried force killing then restarting) - do we need a safely eject drive or reset function of some sort?

Guest bazzlad
I understand that, but pretty much every OS ever auto detects Gamepads, I'd have thought android would have done!

Interesting issue 2:

If you put in a usb stick and find it using ifilemanager, then remove the stick, then place it back in - it's not found until you reboot.

Am testing other file managers (but have tried force killing then restarting) - do we need a safely eject drive or reset function of some sort?

Perhaps not, just put in a USB mouse (works fine), took that out then put in the stick, and it was detected.

I've then taken the stick out and put the mouse back in. All good. I've then taken the mouse out and the stick back in. No joy.

Interesting - could be my USB stick? (Generic brand) Any one confirm this?

Guest removed-14

But why would it? If I was developing Android and wanted to reduce the foot print one of the first things I would do is remove all the unnecessary drivers. It probably does show (via some terminal command line command possibly) as an unknown USB device, but no driver. I'm sure someone will reply with that command any moment soon!

Edit:

Perhaps this:

$ lsusb

Edited by removed-14

Guest jellywobbles
Part of the ClockworkMod package is a tool that is used to flash images to the device, that's the bit you can use for this mod. Don't install the full clockworkmod package (including the recovery image) as that isn't fully working yet (can result in your device failing to boot).

Cheers gingercat .. so that I fully understand - do I just install the Reboot utility APK as detailed below?

The download is in two parts - firstly the recovery image itself and the flash utility, and secondly an APK you install on your device which allows you to reboot into recovery mode (conventional recovery reboot methods don't work, and as yet we haven't found a key combination to allow this!)

Recovery image and flash utility - DOWNLOAD - MD5: e61b18479197a52926046dca48d41438

Reboot utility APK - DOWNLOAD - MD5: b6dbe93af28619bb3caba1c3ba925e5d

Note: The Reboot utility APK is also available on the Android Market - search 'Vega Recovery Boot'.

Thanks

JW

Guest bazzlad

This is the extent of USB devices I've managed to get working thus far:

USB Hub, USB Mouse, USB Keyboard, USB Flash Drive and/or *not at the same time* USB Card Reader.

Guest bazzlad
But why would it? If I was developing Android and wanted to reduce the foot print one of the first things I would do is remove all the unnecessary drivers. It probably does show (via some terminal command line command possibly) as an unknown USB device, but no driver. I'm sure someone will reply with that command any moment soon!

Edit:

Perhaps this:

$ lsusb

lsusb not found :)

Guest thedicemaster

got my controller working fine :)

img20101217140540.th.jpg

on the usb stick remount problem: it appears to depend on brand/device type.

i heard of others with the mobii tegra having that problem but i can plug in/unplug my external hard drive and kinston datatraveler locker as much as i want without problems.

Guest SilentMobius

No. USB HID-based gamepads will send scancode-type events. Which events and what to do about them had to be configured for _every_single_type_ of gamepad. Have a look at the basic inf files that windows ships with, there are thousands of them.

Android is an embedded os, that means it contains drivers for _only_ the hardware present in the device.

If people want to port over some specific linux HID scancode mappings for generic gamepads to Android that's great, but to expect USB "Plug and Play" shows a misunderstanding of the underlying architecture.

In a similar way, try plugging a dvorak USB keyboard into an Android device, I'll bet you get the default android keymap.

Guest removed-14
Android is an embedded os, that means it contains drivers for _only_ the hardware present in the device.

Sounds like my guess (and analogy) was correct then! You a Linux guy SilentMobius?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mindruler
Okay, seems the easiest thing to do is to use GScript to swap between slave and host.

Attached are the GScript apk, two scripts and the two boot.img's. Works well for me, on the R5+performance mod.

Mouse, keyboard and external usb storage devices work. Hopefully someone can get a 3G dongle to work.

Download

Thanks for the file.

One question.

I unzipped the file on my sdcard.

Installed the apk.

If I run the gscript apk nothing happens (looks like).

Where do I have to put the files...???

I have installed the recovery stuff so I have the flash_image installed.

Thanks, Richard

Edited by mindruler

Guest JordanT92
Thanks for the file.

One question.

I unzipped the file on my sdcard.

Installed the apk.

If I run the gscript apk nothing happens (looks like).

Where do I have to put the files...???

I have installed the recovery stuff so I have the flash_image installed.

Thanks, Richard

Hold the back button down until the menu pops up and press Add Script, click Load and choose the USB Host script, press Save, then do the same for the USB Slave script.

Guest mindruler
Hold the back button down until the menu pops up and press Add Script, click Load and choose the USB Host script, press Save, then do the same for the USB Slave script.

Thanks.....

:( ;) ;)