USB Host mode - Working Devices (a list)

Guest bazzlad

Guest Touch Graphite

Just installed this add-on so tested what I could get my hands on:

Logitech M505 Wireless mouse with Unifying reciever (allowing up to 5 devices from 1 reciever)

Sweex Mini USB Mouse

WD passport (No modifications needed)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest MikhailM

Hi, bazzlad,

NIce instructions, but I got into serious trouble!

I followed all the instructions on setting up the USB Host and USB Slave, both of which showed "Need SU" in small letters after being added in Gscript. After clicking on USB Host, as instructed, the Advent Vega brought up a new box, asking to allow the USB Host. After clicking "Allow" the Vega told me it was going to re-boot into recovery mode, which it did, bringing up the Android figure popping out of the box.

Since I did not know what to do with it in this Recovery Mode, I powered the Vega down and then tried to power it up again. It will now only go upto "bootting ...." and will not proceed further!

What do I do?

Clearly I could put it into recovery mode and then re-install the rom and Paul's ROM etc.., but I would rather not do that, if it can be avoided.

MikhailM

Guest v1rusw0rm

I tested this keyboard: http://www.merimobiles.com/ProductDetails....ctCode=MERI0537 The case doesn't fit and keyboard doesn't work.. It works perfect with my desktop and notebook, but when I put it into tablet it doesn't work at all. Sometimes first keypress works, but tablet thinks that key still down and printing the letter until usb cable removed. I tested with stock firmware, with R8 and R8 + Corvus Kernel.

Upd: keyboard works if connected through USB-hub.

Edited by v1rusw0rm

Guest ViPaSoft
I tested this keyboard: http://www.merimobiles.com/ProductDetails....ctCode=MERI0537 The case doesn't fit and keyboard doesn't work.. It works perfect with my desktop and notebook, but when I put it into tablet it doesn't work at all. Sometimes first keypress works, but tablet thinks that key still down and printing the letter until usb cable removed. I tested with stock firmware, with R8 and R8 + Corvus Kernel.

Upd: keyboard works if connected through USB-hub.

I've just bought one too, it also works through my Laptop, but not through the VEGA. Anyone know why. I have my Vega in host mode and it reads USB sticks etc. Is it that the Vega doesn't output enough power to power the keyboard or is there a driver that may be needed.

I see you say it works using a hub, but that's surly not the only answer. The idea if for portability and having to lug a powered hub around it not portable.

Anyone with any ideas...

Guest thedicemaster

the hub doesn't have to be powered.

it's a known problem, that specific keyboard sends out some kind of signal that confuses the vega and a usb hub somehow filters it out.

Guest ViPaSoft
the hub doesn't have to be powered.

it's a known problem, that specific keyboard sends out some kind of signal that confuses the vega and a usb hub somehow filters it out.

Thanks, I'll have to get a cheap HUB and try it. The one I have doesn't seem to work, even with USB Sticks, (which do work when plugged directly in).

Also, daft question, but the VEGA does have to be in HOST mode for the keyboard right!? Doesn't work in SLAVE mode!

Guest Thomas Medhurst

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if USB Serial will work with this?

I have a number of electronics projects that use JTAG or similar USB serial endpoints and it would be incredible to be able to control these via a tablet!

I am happy to send commands via bash (screen/minicom etc..) as I doubt there will be native Java bindings for this, but would buy one of these in a flash if it could support this!!

Guest CrArC

I've lost my USB serial port to test unfortunately.

But I've noticed a few said their Apple keyboards weren't working here.

Oddly, my Apple wired keyboard does work, just fine. Can even change the volume with it. It's not the newest brushed aluminium models though, it's an A1048.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest phil8715
Maybe putting your Vega into suspend before taking out the memory stick would reduce the risk ?

Adding to the list of compatable devices

Technika USB tiny mouse (cheap tesco brand)

Philips Freevents wireless keyboard

Bush USB 4 port hub PHX03H

RunDisk 2.0 4gb pen drive

Some of the media keys work too - Vol + -, back and forward arrow button and search button

Esc = back button

Windows key = Menu

F1 also = Menu

F4 = suspend + wake up

Will add more KB shortcuts as I find them

Do all portable HDD's Desktop HDDs and pendrives need to be fat32 formatted for them to be recognised ?

Would a Philips Go Gear pmp work and sideloading from BBC iPlayer to the Philip GoGear pmp device?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Algie

I received this USB HDD today. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I copied some files from my pc to check it works. Works great. There is a usb power cable supplied but it works fine without it.

Problem is I can read/copy from the hd but I can't write from the Vega. I've tried various file managers and one of them states 'Insufficient Permissions'. I've also just checked after reading through this post that Android doesn't work with NTFS formatted drives. When I check properties it states that the drive is formatted in NTFS. Should it be working at all?

How do I alter the permissions or do I have to format the drive in fat32?

Update: Reformatted to FAT32 works perfect now.

Edited by Algie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nik Louch
Nik, does the mouse / trackball work too? I know works perfectly tends to suggest as such but thought I would check. Cheers.

Sorry for the delay, yes it all works, even some of the "custom" buttons.