Wifi issue

Guest rajsaww

Guest rajsaww

When I try to connect to my secured wireless, the vega keeps looping between scanning... and disconnected. Does anyone know why this might be?

Ive also turned off the security and put no password and it still does the same.

Edited by rajsaww

Guest JordanT92
When I try to connect to my secured wireless, the vega keeps looping between scanning... and disconnected. Does anyone know why this might be?

Ive also turned off the security and put no password and it still does the same.

Same thing happened to me on first boot, I clicked the network, pressed forget, and then entered the password again, took two attempts at doing that before it connected, no troubles since.

My first post ;-)

-Check which mode your Wifi is running in (B/G/N) maybe change it and see if you can reconnect.

-Do you have any manufacturer specific optimisations enabled like afterburner or something similar?

-Access Control/Mac Filtering?

Guest jorgthegreat

Set up a static IP on the vega & it'll work. Had the same problem.

I had this at first. Ended up having to enter the network key again. That fixed it - I have a feeling the first time I entered it, I entered the key slightly incorrectly.

Guest rajsaww

Ok so I tried to add the mac address, copied it very carefully and the router says invalid mac address. I think this is the problem, but I don't know how to fix it :)

Guest JordanT92
Ok so I tried to add the mac address, copied it very carefully and the router says invalid mac address. I think this is the problem, but I don't know how to fix it :)

Have you actually tried just forgetting the network and reconnecting? A few people have done this and it has worked for them.

Guest rajsaww

Yes I have tried that, also rebooted the router. It connects first time and then seems to have problems with range. My laptop can pick the signal up from across the house, but the vega doesn't work more than 15 feet away, I think I may have a broken one :)

Anyone have issues with wifi range?

Guest jorgthegreat
Yes I have tried that, also rebooted the router. It connects first time and then seems to have problems with range. My laptop can pick the signal up from across the house, but the vega doesn't work more than 15 feet away, I think I may have a broken one :)

Anyone have issues with wifi range?

My Vega is now wrapped up for xmas but i had to set the static ip on the vega, under something like wireless>advanced. Nothing to do with Mac address, had to enter IP address, Gateway, Subnet & the 2 DNS servers.

I have Linksys router & Virgin broadband.

If you dont already know you can get all the info by using Start>Run>CMD on your PC then typing ipconfig/all. Just make sure your ip address last digit is different from the one displayed eg. if its says 192.168.1.100 then use 192.168.1.101. All the others should be the same on the vega as the PC.

Guest warriorscot

No range issues really. There is one dead spot in my house that hits my devices maybe 2/3rds of the time but the vega sometimes gets a signal in it and sometimes doesn't but it isn't any worse than any of the phones or laptops.

I do get my wireless networks dissapearing sometimes no real cause I can think of it usually starts back up again if I change the channel of my home wireless and scan again. I think its actually a bug between the OS and the wireless chip communicating but Im not an expert and I haven't taken the time to sit and work through it as the problem only seems to happen just as I am about to go to bed or go out the door. The weird thing is the error can actually persist even after wiping it and installing new firmware so its an unusual problem but thankfully pretty rare and not permanent just annoying.

Guest trevor432990

Rajasaw you need to tell us exactly what the make and model number of your router is for us to help. I have a 'white' Netgear router myself DG834G v3 and there are 5 models so check the sticky label on the base for the version and model. It is likely that you need to upgrade to the latest firmware on it so that it will work correctly.

So get the model number and version from the label, log into admin on the router and establish which firmware you are on (normally in router status tab) that out and come back and advise us of that information and whilst you are there click on attached devices to see if it is showing 'ADVENT VEGA' already. Thanks

Guest rajsaww

Thanks, I've checked and have:

DG834G V5 with V1.6.01.34 firmware :)

The problem is the range is really short with the vega, but not other devices.

And if you walk out of range with the vega connected to wifi, it won't connect again when you are in range, it does "scanning....disconnected" loop.

Any help appreciated.

Guest aintcrackedityet

I know you turned off security, I have the same router as you. Originally mine was set to wep and all it did was scan and disconnect.

I changed my security to wpa and it's worked ever since.

aintcrackedityet

Guest rajsaww

Disabled

WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)

WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

WPA2-PSK(Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 with Pre-Shared Key)

WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK

WPA-802.1x

WPA2-802.1x

WPA-802.1x+WPA2-802.1x

These are the options I have, and the bold one is the one I am using if that helps. Which one do you use?

Guest trevor432990

Rajsaww I checked the Netgear site and you seem to be on the latest firmware which is good. When you went into DG834G admin user did you manage to click on 'attached devices' tab to see if it is showing 'ADVENT VEGA' as a device? You might need to press refresh a few times before it appears.

If it does appear then highlight & copy the MAC address and then go to the admin tab 'LAN IP Setup' and look at the Reservation Address Table, note if any devices are using static IP addresses within the range 192.168.0.2 through to 192.168.0.256, then click on the 'Add' button and enter an IP address in the range mentioned which is not being used already (I'd suggest 192.168.0.20 if you are not sure) and then paste the MAC address into the next field and finally give it a device name and click the 'Add' button.

The above actions will allocate a static IP address for the Vega to use thereafter and so refresh its wi-fi connection by turning wi-fi off at the Vega and then resume it a minute later and fingers crossed you should be in business.

Guest rajsaww

Got it added to the router table but whenever I shut down the vega and try to connect when it reboots up it does "scanning....disconnected" again. :)

Edited by rajsaww

Guest trevor432990

Could be any number of reasons really though I've not tested the range on mine I have been able to use it throughout the house. You could check if you have Bluetooth running as well on the Vega because there may be a performance impact if you have both networks running at same time perhaps.

Other people have mentioned that changing the channel being used by the router (see Wireless Settings tab in admin) from the default '11' to another value could help if you happen to live in an area where the interference from other nearby devices is bad.

Maybe the Vega is like the iPhone 4 it has a poor signal if you hold it in a certain way so try propping it up rather than holding when surfing. Let us know how you get on :)

Guest trevor432990
Got it added to the router table but whenever I shut down the vega and try to connect when it reboots up it does "scanning....disconnected" again. :)

Go back into Netgear admin and check the 'LAN IP setup' you should have the box Use Router as DHCP server ticked. If it isn't tick it. Also check if there are is an IP address range in the starting/ending IP address fields and if not enter 192.168.0.2 in start and 192.168.0.254 in the end IP address. Click on APPLY button then close wi-fi on Vega wait a minute then re-try connection.

If that fails then :-

On Vega go to Settings > Wi-fi settings and count how many other routers besides your it finds that will at least give us an idea whether outside interference is a factor.

Let us know how many other devices you have got attached to the router within your house?

Edited by trevor432990

Guest rajsaww

Thanks, it was ticked. I did a search and ours is the only available network in the area, just checked with the Vega and then again with a laptop to make sure.

I leave the vega on the table above the router when it tries to connect and still no joy. :)

Guest trevor432990

I can't get my Vega to show 'scanning' or 'disconnected, where do those messages appear? Can you tell me what appears when on the Vega you click

settings>wi-fi settings> name of your router ......... in other words what values do you have in following fields:-

Status

Security

Signal strength

Link speed

IP Address

Another course of action would be to turn off wi-fi access on your laptop and any other device you attach to your router and retry the Vega. I'm beginning to suspect it might be conflicting with another device to grab the same IP address. Did the Vega appear under the 'Attached Devices' by the way? Can you also confirm that on the router in 'Wireless Settings' you have the box 'Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)' ticked

Edited by trevor432990

Guest rajsaww

The first line is Wifi, click it to turn it on. It sometimes says obtaining ip address" but now just says "Scanning..." and then "Disconnected"

I've turned off all the other wifi devices, still no help.

I don't have those options under my router name?

Name, Remembered, secured with WPA/WPA22 PSK, Strength: Good.

Dont have link speed or IP address as I can't connect?

ui2ikc6208de9ccviewattth12cffdf7cf0.jpg

SSID is ticked

Edited by rajsaww

Guest trevor432990

OK did you try changing the channel number in 'wireless settings' on the router yet? Have just been reading another thread and doing that seemed to cure several peoples comms problems. By the way you shouldn't need to reboot each time as turning off wi-fi alone should fix it. Also check that the mode setting immediately below the channel box says 'G & B'.

Think the above might cure your problem this time.

Guest simonta

I had the same trouble caused by the channel my router was using. I was on channel 13. Moved it to channel 8 (used Wifi Analyzer on the Vega to find a clear channel) and it worked fine on WPA/2 PSK. Move my router back to channel 13 and no go. I'm guessing that the Vega h'ware struggles with some channels. Worth a try...

PS. Sorry trevor432990, our posts crossed..

Edited by simonta