Recommend a good 8Gb / 16Gb microSD card?

Guest jellywobbles

Guest jellywobbles

The title says it all!

I have bought a 16Gb microSD card from Play that doesn't seem to be compatible with my Vega - cant see the files I put on it! (Well I can when the Vega is hooked up to the PC - once the card is "remounted" they end up in LOST.DIR!!)

Does anyone use a 16Gb (or even 8Gb0 card) without any issues?

If you are using one & are happy with it, can you post here with the make, model & if poss where you bought it?

Thanks very much - and Merry Xmas to everyone! :)

Guest nigelpwilson
The title says it all!

I have bought a 16Gb microSD card from Play that doesn't seem to be compatible with my Vega - cant see the files I put on it! (Well I can when the Vega is hooked up to the PC - once the card is "remounted" they end up in LOST.DIR!!)

Does anyone use a 16Gb (or even 8Gb0 card) without any issues?

If you are using one & are happy with it, can you post here with the make, model & if poss where you bought it?

Thanks very much - and Merry Xmas to everyone! :)

Hi, I got a 16GB one from play.com delivered yesterday and it works fine ... no brand on it, cost £14.99 delivered

Guest lnux9898
Hi, I got a 16GB one from play.com delivered yesterday and it works fine ... no brand on it, cost £14.99 delivered

The Play SDs are rebranded Sandisk. I recently swapped in a 16GB Toshiba, picked up from Amazon. Working great.

Guest jellywobbles

Nigel - my card from Play "works" - well kinda! The Vega sees it - thats about all! ;)

Have you tried moving files over from your PC to the card? Can you try a large video file - see if it stays where you put it when the Vega remounts the card!

Cheers :)

Guest jellywobbles
The Play SDs are rebranded Sandisk. I recently swapped in a 16GB Toshiba, picked up from Amazon. Working great.

Cheers for that - can you transfer files from your PC to the card OK? Are they still where you put then after the Vega remounts the card?

Guest lnux9898
Cheers for that - can you transfer files from your PC to the card OK? Are they still where you put then after the Vega remounts the card?

I haven't tried that. I tend to transfer files on wifi using either ADB or via the app File Expert.

Guest danympp81
I haven't tried that. I tend to transfer files on wifi using either ADB or via the app File Expert.

could you please try to play a mkv 1080p video? i have got the mobii versión but i have a class 2 16gb microsd and i can't play them. i have tried with xyplayer, mplayer and art 1 player.......

thanx

Guest jellywobbles

These words (i.e. your reply!) may well be the "magic" that is needed!

The more I think about this the more I am convinced that its a "VEGA SD card remounting issue"!

I am going to try this as soon as I get home

:)

Guest jellywobbles
I always use transcend normally, but a 16gb class 6 transcend is £37, and 16gb play branded class 4 is £15.49 so have gone for one of them

Higgsy - can you transfer AVI files to your 16Gb Play card OK?

Guest ChocolateRobot

I am currently using a Transcend 16GB Class 4 from Amazon. It's about £25.00. No problem transferring files straight from windows when mounted as SD card.

Guest nigelpwilson
Nigel - my card from Play "works" - well kinda! The Vega sees it - thats about all! ;)

Have you tried moving files over from your PC to the card? Can you try a large video file - see if it stays where you put it when the Vega remounts the card!

Hi,

I've moved about 3 large files (over 1GB .mp4's) using windows file manager and the Vega reads them and plays them back fine...strange how yours doesnt ?!?

Guest tech_fox

I am currently using the 7dayshop 16GB Dane-Elec with no problems.

I have done a speed check and can confirm it comes in at just over Class 4 speed (as advertised).

Guest warriorscot

I got a sandisk branded 16gb class 2 that has caused nothing but problems. Currently trying to get a replacement from sandisk as it takes a lot of fiddling to get it to format and then goes corrupted after a dew days use.

Just received a play.com card in the mail today as well that I couldn't resist buying as it was a steal and I needed another that so far seems to work perfectly. Loaded a couple of episodes of Hawaii 5-0 and about 1.5Gb of music along with the contents of the 4Gb SD card and so far so good. Like I said in the other thread microSD cards have very high failure rates just get a replacement and chances are it will work.

Guest jellywobbles
I got a sandisk branded 16gb class 2 that has caused nothing but problems. Currently trying to get a replacement from sandisk as it takes a lot of fiddling to get it to format and then goes corrupted after a dew days use.

Just received a play.com card in the mail today as well that I couldn't resist buying as it was a steal and I needed another that so far seems to work perfectly. Loaded a couple of episodes of Hawaii 5-0 and about 1.5Gb of music along with the contents of the 4Gb SD card and so far so good. Like I said in the other thread microSD cards have very high failure rates just get a replacement and chances are it will work.

Snap! I got another 16Gb card from Play.com yesterday & BINGO! It works fine! I can now throw away the valiums! ;)

Guest danympp81
Snap! I got another 16Gb card from Play.com yesterday & BINGO! It works fine! I can now throw away the valiums! ;)

jellywobbles, could you please try to play, if you have, a mkv 1080p video? I have a 16gb class 2 and i can't play them.

thanx

Guest jellywobbles
jellywobbles, could you please try to play, if you have, a mkv 1080p video? I have a 16gb class 2 and i can't play them.

thanx

At work now, but will try when I get home. :)

Guest warriorscot

The problem with my lone 1080p mkv video(prefer 720p when storing as I tend to just download anything bigger when I need it) is that it is way too big to go on a FAT32 formatted anything without getting split down. I'm curious if anyone knows what formatting options the vega supports. If it will handle Ext3 or 4,exFAT(FAT64) or even NTFS that would make life so much easier.

I usually hate converting and splitting files but I can give it a try if I get desperate enough. Might sit down and give it a go at some point in the next week once everything is calmed down.

Guest jellywobbles
could you please try to play a mkv 1080p video? i have got the mobii versión but i have a class 2 16gb microsd and i can't play them. i have tried with xyplayer, mplayer and art 1 player.......

thanx

OK - I just loaded an MKV file that plays well on both my PC & WD Media Centre & it does NOT play on the Vega with NSWPlayer. Get an "illegal file format" error! :)