08 Aug GRJ22 colour revert: Superboot - rooting the Nexus S

Guest PaulOBrien

Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Before download, you need to check your device 'about' screen to determine which superboot version you need.

• Superboot for GRJ22 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 1e988380d12fa3a4cc3e9db975e96b27
  • Superboot for GRJ22 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: a09a4588f3cbce577eba4d8fee318f00
  • Superboot for GRI54 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 2e1c91c8437feb7965de52ecfe8add0b
  • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 668d8eb2fa2ff6b7f9bd26f1aa4f7923
  • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 6069ea0f4f04f2d35d4a868b4bb886fd
  • Superboot for GRH78 / GRH78C - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: a0c8b769986876bf5cb079b2fd9309ff
  • Superboot for GRH55 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 809a8e41ae8f0bb88b870cf1865aedff

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device.

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' button pressed to enter the bootloader
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)

Enjoy! ;)

P

The links use referrer checking - if you use AdBlock or NoScript, try turning them off for this page (or try another browser).

Just verified the link is still working OK here.

P

Guest tone-fu

I can't seem to unlock the Bootloader.

I've got all the gubbins installed, ADB is recognising my device as per but when I boot into fastboot mode and enter 'fastboot oem unlock' it just says 'waiting for device' and stays that way.

If I had hair I'd have started tearing it out by now.

Guest tone-fu
Added GRH78 version.

tone-fu, sounds like a driver issue, check device manager for a device without drivers?

P

Yeah, you're bang on. I can't seem to get the driver to install though, my Windows 7 x64's being a berk!

Just getting the whole 'Android 1.0' with the exclamation point in the device manager, and no amount of pointing it towards the driver is helping.

EDIT

Thanks for the advice. All sorted. I used PDANet to install the driver via this guide and it worked like a charm.

I still don't like Windows 7 x64 though. :)

Edited by tone-fu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest onicrom

as far as I understand it... when you flash a custom recovery, then reboot back into the stock rom, the custom recovery is overwritten by the stock recovery

does this also remove the reflash of the stock recovery during every boot?

Introducing.... Superboot! :unsure:

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Guest georgiabulldogs

ok, so i have download the file specified for my nexus s (GRH78).

now, when i type in the stuff for Terminal, it say it doesnt recognize it.

How do you put the file into a directory? And which one????

Thanks.

georgiabulldogs

Guest Ultrish
Oh, and one more question. If you root the Nexus S, will you lose the stock updates?

georgiabulldogs

Hello i just want to know the same thing as the dude i quoted ;)

Cuz i just want to get superuser for some apps i need

Edited by Ultrish

$ ./install-superboot-mac.sh 
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
sending 'boot' (3072 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
rebooting...[/code]

Any ideas?

Guest Maksymilian

Sorry if this is a daft question, but what is Superboot compared to Clockworkmod?

Thanks

I see clockworkmod facilitates the flashing of custom ROMs

Edited by Maksymilian

Guest Maksymilian

Can anybody help?

When connecting Nexus S to the PC via USB it says that

'New hardware found - Nexus S'

It then goes to the 'Install Hardware Wizard' and this is where my problems start.

No matter which option I choose the PC cant seem to find the USB drivers for the Nexus S.

A window pops up telling me that a problem occurred during install and that the device may not work properly.

As a result I cant connect the device via ADB (adb devices) and therefore cant unlock the Bootloader

Your help greatly appreciated.

Guest stiefa00
Can anybody help?

When connecting Nexus S to the PC via USB it says that

'New hardware found - Nexus S'

It then goes to the 'Install Hardware Wizard' and this is where my problems start.

No matter which option I choose the PC cant seem to find the USB drivers for the Nexus S.

A window pops up telling me that a problem occurred during install and that the device may not work properly.

As a result I cant connect the device via ADB (adb devices) and therefore cant unlock the Bootloader

Your help greatly appreciated.

Hey,

try this USB drivers! I got the same problem like you and these drivers helped me out!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15361623/drivers.zip

I have a question, too. How can I undo this rooting (original boot.img)? So that everything is stock again?

Thanks! Regards, stiefa00

Edited by stiefa00

Guest Maksymilian
Hey,

try this USB drivers! I got the same problem like you and these drivers helped me out!

I have a question, too. How can I undo this rooting (original boot.img)? So that everything is stock again?

Thanks I shall try as soon as I can - Do you know where they come from?

I found this guide to Unrooting the Nexus S here http://theunlockr.com/2011/01/20/how-to-unroot-the-nexus-s/

cheeers

Guest Maksymilian

Snap shot of my device manager listing. Dont think it should be like this. I have no Android 1.0 showing

post-58233-1295878855_thumb.jpg

By the way the device is simply plugged in with USB, not mounted and not in Fastboot mode, basically just charging.

Edited by Maksymilian

Guest Maksymilian
Hey,

Thanks

The drivers worked. You needed to know the the type of OS that your windows pc is running (either 32bit or 64bit) and select the correct driver accordingly

There is a lot more info on the XDA forums under 'unlocking the bootloader' which also helped.

Guest eLSundays

i always got this massage from IDM when i wan to download the file ---> ( the data transfer has been interrupted and the server does not support '' resume''. can some one help me with this. hope i can find another link.Thanks

i always got this massage from IDM when i wan to download the file ---> ( the data transfer has been interrupted and the server does not support '' resume''. can some one help me with this. hope i can find another link.Thanks

people, come on, this is not done one post a week, this is my favourite site, please dont let it die!!!

answer us!!

Guest genga04
Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)

Hi, i have retail version of nexus s. And i tried 'fastboot-windows oem unlock' but it just says "waiting for device"

How can i do it?

Thanks

The drivers worked. You needed to know the the type of OS that your windows pc is running (either 32bit or 64bit) and select the correct driver accordingly

There is a lot more info on the XDA forums under 'unlocking the bootloader' which also helped.

Thanks for the link