08 Aug GRJ22 colour revert: Superboot - rooting the Nexus S

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Oysterman

Houston - i have a Problem.

I bought a Nexus S yesterday and just tried to get root access using Pauls latest creation.

My Phone was already on GRJ22.

First i unlocked the bootloader - absolutely no Problem there.

Phone showed as "unlocked" in Fastboot.

After that i applied the superboot img by "- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'"

I could not read the text that popped up, it went by so fast.

But now i am stuck at the google logo and an open lock beneath and nothign more is happening.

When i pull the battery i can get to fastboot but nothing more.

Help. I tried to repeat installing the superboot now twice, even went from my notebook to my desktop PC - no change.

Phone is bricked.

What can i do ???

edit: The following information is shown in Fastboot screen :

Product Name - Herring

HW Version - REV 52

Bootloader Version - I9020XXKA3

Baseband Version - I9020XXKD1

Carrier Info - EUR

Serial number - 303011CE306F6....

LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED

edit 2:

I ran the bat file again - this time in console to see the message

D:\superboot>fastboot-windows.exe flash boot boot.superboot.img

sending 'boot' (3024 KB)... OKAY

writing 'boot'... OKAY

D:\superboot>fastboot-windows.exe reboot

rebooting...

after that i am stuck

Edited by Oysterman

Guest Oysterman

Did you try the 'other' GRJ22 superboot?

I just re-tested on my Nexus S and it's booting OK...

P

Yes i tried both versions.

Could it be an issue with my Win7 64 bit or the USB drivers ?

Since i got no error msg i don´t think so.

Edited by Oysterman

Guest Oysterman

Problem solved - my Phone ist working again.

BUT: I was not able to fix it with the images here.

Could it be that this is not working with the 9023 (SLCD) ?

I went over to xda developers and used the "one klick root" toolset

which resulted with a working clockworkmod recovery image.

After that i was able to flash a custom ROM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest shiver750

Hi all,

I need help please!! I just unlocked bootloader and then chaos...I've tried many guides nothing worked for me to root and flash a recovery on my phone.Seems like recovery partition is unwrittable.For example,when i try to use bootloader from this post the commander stays at-download boot image.Or when i try to flash a recovery I get the messages-'cannot load image file' or this ---'sending recovery <4036kb>... FAILED (command write failed uknown error)"---.I also try some guides using sdk tools and I wrote some commands to see if work like 'erase recovery' and get message 'cannot be done-uknown error' and ofcourse neither with sdk tools can flash a recovery.I dont know many about android,I just follow some guides... but I really want to flash a new rom.What I'm doing wrong? Also I'd like to know if stock Nexus have a recovery already installed-In mine's I'm pretty sure that does not.

Phone is running 2.3.3 kernel 2.6.35.7-g1d030a7 android-build@apa28#1 GRI40

Thanks in advance for any help :rolleyes:

Edited by shiver750

• 2 weeks later...
Guest engene188

Hi guys, I have the same problem as Oysterman. I did a bunch of reading and waited a couple of days before trying to take the jump and rooting the phone.

I unlocked the bootloader, but when I run the fastboot batch file I get the exact same problem as Oysterman. Now my phone is stuck at the google logo with the picture of the lock at the bottom.

I have the GRJ22, and have tried both of the links posed in the start of the thread.

How do I at least get the phone back into working order?

D:\superboot>fastboot-windows.exe flash boot boot.superboot.img

sending 'boot' (3024 KB)... OKAY

writing 'boot'... OKAY

D:\superboot>fastboot-windows.exe reboot

rebooting...

Guest engene188

Figured it out. I downloaded one of the zip files mentioned in the thread, and extracted the boot.img. then I just changed the fastboot batch file to use that image instead of the superboot image.

Hi guys, I have the same problem as Oysterman. I did a bunch of reading and waited a couple of days before trying to take the jump and rooting the phone.

I unlocked the bootloader, but when I run the fastboot batch file I get the exact same problem as Oysterman. Now my phone is stuck at the google logo with the picture of the lock at the bottom.

I have the GRJ22, and have tried both of the links posed in the start of the thread.

How do I at least get the phone back into working order?

Guest malathion

Well I am pretty much stumped. The first time I ran this I got stuck at Google logo with the unlock icon, as others reported. Running it again did not help. Running every other version had no effect. Panic is beginning to set in. Any advice on how I can recover from this situation?

Guest malathion

Well I am pretty much stumped. The first time I ran this I got stuck at Google logo with the unlock icon, as others reported. Running it again did not help. Running every other version had no effect. Panic is beginning to set in. Any advice on how I can recover from this situation?

All right here's a step by step "emergency fix". This is pretty much what you would do to root the phone by hand.

1. Download this file: http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img

2. Put it in the same directory as fastboot, which you can get out of any of the archives in the OP.

3. Put the Nexus S in recovery mode and connect the USB cable

4. Run fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img

5. Run fastboot-windows reboot-recovery

6. You're now in CM recovery. Navigate to mount sdcard.

7. Copy a rooted rom for Nexus S onto the mounted partition. cyanogenmod here: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=RC&device=crespo4g

8. Unmount in clockwork recovery.

9. Install update from ZIP file, and choose the downloaded ROM. Install it

10. Reboot and you now have a working ROM.

Guest Dreamszz

I recently installed vanilla android over my CM7 custom ROM. I have vanilla Android 2.3.6, kernel 2.6.35.7-gf5f63ef with build GRK39F. But root was lost, of course.

can I use the latest superboot? Or is there an alternative?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest jnemeth

Hi there,

I'm thinking about a possible swap from my Acer Liquid to a Nexus S (i9023) but I would have some questions...

- Is there official update to ICS for Nexus S? Or any custom rom based on ICS?

- Is there a standard and more or less confirmed way of rooting this phone and have a custom recovery?

- What is an approximate standby time with regular usage? Phone calls, browsing (rather on mobile network than wifi), no frequent video watching and almost no gaming at all.

Any reply and info would be appreciated!

Thanks is advance,

J.

• 8 months later...

while putting superboot i have done some mess, know i get the google logo and a lock when i reboot

try to use the emergency fix but i am unable to load the zip file

please please help me. atm i just want my phone to work