Network DNS setting not working when changed.

Guest gitf@ce

Guest gitf@ce

As my kids are always pinching my Vega I feel I need some security. I want to use the OpenDNS servers but cannot find any DNS settings on the device. Anyone know where I can adjust my network settings?

Thanks...

Edited by gitf@ce

try this - it should sort it, I haven't tested it yet though as I haven't got my Vega with me at the mo.

extract the attached file (20-dns.conf)

It needs to be copied to the following destination overwriting the original file

system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/20-dns.conf

BE SURE TO BACK UP THE ORIGINAL FILE FIRST so you can restore it if it doesn't work.

EDIT: forgot to say you need to CHMOD 644 the above file to give it rw-r--r-- permissions.

reboot

I already added the OPEN DNS Servers in there for you

Let me know if it does or doesn't work.

20_dns.conf.zip

Edited by Higgsy

Guest gitf@ce
Wouldn't you want to apply the DNS changes to your router so that any connected device is secured and not just your Vega?

No... I just want to secure the childrens internet access.

Guest gitf@ce
try this - it should sort it, I haven't tested it yet though as I haven't got my Vega with me at the mo.

extract the attached file (20-dns.conf)

It needs to be copied to the following destination overwriting the original file

system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/20-dns.conf

BE SURE TO BACK UP THE ORIGINAL FILE FIRST so you can restore it if it doesn't work.

EDIT: forgot to say you need to CHMOD 644 the above file to give it rw-r--r-- permissions.

reboot

I already added the OPEN DNS Servers in there for you

Let me know if it does or doesn't work.

Many thank's..! Manually setting up the Vega with a static (reserved) IP addy does'nt work. I've been going around in circles trying to access the openDNS servers.

I'll let you know how I get on.

@Higgsy

No... this dosen't work. Very strange, seems like you can put anything you like for dns server and it just ignores it?!?!

Try using wlan0 instead of eth0 in the file - unless you've magically found an ethernet port on the Vega :(

You can see what the properties are set to by doing

adb shell

# getprop

Guest crockwit

An app called ipconfig (free from market) is the easiest way to set DNS settings for the Vega. It allows you to set a static address then set both DNS settings.

Edited by crockwit

Try using wlan0 instead of eth0 in the file - unless you've magically found an ethernet port on the Vega :(

You can see what the properties are set to by doing

adb shell

# getprop

doh yeah I think you are right however it doesn't work. I had that file saved from something previous, possibly when I had my hero - sure I remember that being the way to set DNS, seeing this thread made me remember it.

Can you or anyone else chip in with the correct method as this obviously isn't it.

An app called ipconfig (free from market) is the easiest way to set DNS settings for the Vega. It allows you to set a static address then set both DNS settings.

all that app des is take you into the menus you can alredy get into such as wifi settings and advanced wifi settings.

Thinnk here we are trying to set our own DNS while keeping the IP dynamic

doh yeah I think you are right however it doesn't work. I had that file saved from something previous, possibly when I had my hero - sure I remember that being the way to set DNS, seeing this thread made me remember it.

Can you or anyone else chip in with the correct method as this obviously isn't it.

There are also more DNS props net.dns1 and net.dns2 which appear to be set to the same thing as dhcp.wlan0.dns1 and dhcp.wlan0.dns2. Might changing them at the same time help?

Guest crockwit
all that app des is take you into the menus you can alredy get into such as wifi settings and advanced wifi settings.

Thinnk here we are trying to set our own DNS while keeping the IP dynamic

The ipconfig app allows you to set a static ip with it's own DNS settings. Switching on/off the static address is just a few clicks once the static address settings have been set.

ipconfig -> menu -> lan settings. It's a bit quicker than using the Vega settings menu.

Edited by crockwit

The ipconfig app allows you to set a static ip with it's own DNS settings. Switching on/off the static address is just a few clicks once the static address settings have been set.

ipconfig -> menu -> lan settings. It's a bit quicker than using the Vega settings menu.

I think you're missing the point. DHCP will refresh both the IP address and the DNS addresses. What we are trying to do is have a DHCP'd IP address but fix the DNS servers to be different to the ones on the router (as they are more closed). This requires some "under the bonnet" tinkering as it isn't used generally. Applications either allow everything dynamic or everything static. I don't know of one that allows some bits to be dynamic whilst other bits of the configuration to be static.

Guest crockwit
I think you're missing the point. DHCP will refresh both the IP address and the DNS addresses. What we are trying to do is have a DHCP'd IP address but fix the DNS servers to be different to the ones on the router (as they are more closed). This requires some "under the bonnet" tinkering as it isn't used generally. Applications either allow everything dynamic or everything static. I don't know of one that allows some bits to be dynamic whilst other bits of the configuration to be static.

The original post was

"I want to use the OpenDNS servers but cannot find any DNS settings on the device. Anyone know where I can adjust my network settings?"

I am not sure why the writer is having problems with using a static address. I have set my Vega to use OpenDNS by setting up a static address. It can revert to getting an address from DHCP at any time by unticking the Static Address setting in the wireless menu. It then instantly starts to use DNS set in my router. Presumably this was what the original poster was looking for.

Guest gitf@ce
Applications either allow everything dynamic or everything static. I don't know of one that allows some bits to be dynamic whilst other bits of the configuration to be static.

I've been using a DHCP'd ip with static DNS for years on my Windows machines.

Guest gitf@ce
The original post was

"I want to use the OpenDNS servers but cannot find any DNS settings on the device. Anyone know where I can adjust my network settings?"

I am not sure why the writer is having problems with using a static address. I have set my Vega to use OpenDNS by setting up a static address. It can revert to getting an address from DHCP at any time by unticking the Static Address setting in the wireless menu. It then instantly starts to use DNS set in my router. Presumably this was what the original poster was looking for.

No... I am having no problem setting the Vega up with a static ip (reserved throught the router), and changing the Vegas DNS settings to openDNS ones. It just dosen't work! The device is using the routers dns and totally ignoring anything I set manually.

Guest crockwit
No... I am having no problem setting the Vega up with a static ip (reserved throught the router), and changing the Vegas DNS settings to openDNS ones. It just dosen't work! The device is using the routers dns and totally ignoring anything I set manually.

Thats odd. I have set mine to use the openDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220 addresses. I got these of Wikipedia because you have sign up with openDNS these days. Are they the same as the ones you are using.? How are you setting the addresses ?

Guest gitf@ce
I have signed up with openDNS using my PC. I have just tested openDNS on my Vega using the welcome page and it is working. Is your Vega rooted?

Yes I'm on r4 etc.. What do you mean " I have just tested openDNS on my Vega using the welcome page and it is working" have you added your network to the dashboard? If so are you able to do a google search for 'some rude words' :( Or if you add facebook or msn etc to your list of omissions... they don't work?

Edited by gitf@ce

Guest gitf@ce
How?

Control panel - network and sharing centre - local area connection - properties - internet protocol version 4 - properties - leave 'obtain an ip address automatically' but select 'use the following DNS server addresses' and add the ones you want (openDNS ones in my case).

Edited by gitf@ce

Control panel - network and sharing centre - local area connection - properties - internet protocol version 4 - properties - leave 'obtain an ip address automatically' but select 'use the following DNS server addresses' and add the ones you want (openDNS ones in my case).

Cool.. Didn't know you could do that...