How good is the Tab ?

Guest spanner44

Guest spanner44

I am considering buying a Tablet for my Daughter, and the Tab is on the list as well as the Vega and Archos, and I am trying to find out what they will all do to compare them what is best.

I am looking for a Tablet that will play the Flash based games that you see on the internet, and especially the ones that you see on Facebook like Pet Society etc. Also it needs to do streaming Video, from say iplayer, or You Tube, play the odd game, Skype and general surfing.

So, can any owners of the Samsung Tab, tell me if the tablet will do these things, and how well they do them as I would rather hear the reviews of real people than sales staff on the shop floor.

Thanks in advance.

Guest dynamohums
I am considering buying a Tablet for my Daughter, and the Tab is on the list as well as the Vega and Archos, and I am trying to find out what they will all do to compare them what is best.

I am looking for a Tablet that will play the Flash based games that you see on the internet, and especially the ones that you see on Facebook like Pet Society etc. Also it needs to do streaming Video, from say iplayer, or You Tube, play the odd game, Skype and general surfing.

So, can any owners of the Samsung Tab, tell me if the tablet will do these things, and how well they do them as I would rather hear the reviews of real people than sales staff on the shop floor.

Thanks in advance.

It's very very good. Games play great on it. It's very well made. It's reasonably expensive (though £399 unlocked is better value than a lot of smartphones out there, and there's a nice £200 apps/movie/music voucher available from Samsung currently). There are some unofficial ROM's on XDA that definitely improve on performance, and with a decent launcher (i.e. launcher pro) it's slickness personified. Way better and more practical than the cheap and nasty 10" tablets currently coming out, and infinitely better than an iPad.

Just my opinion, mind you :)

Edited by dynamohums

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mado1950

Thanks in advance.

I don't know how old your daughter is, In my opinion the Tab is not a play thing. You can play with it, but its much more!

You can make phone calls, watch video's, music player, e-book reader, and internet browsing. You can play games (there are so many games), it is flash supported, a camera, video as well as photo and thats just a start. I wish my daddy had bought me one. I had to buy one myself :-D

Edited by Mado1950

Guest spanner44
I don't know how old your daughter is, In my opinion the Tab is not a play thing. You can play with it, but its much more!

You can make phone calls, watch video's, music player, e-book reader, and internet browsing. You can play games (there are so many games), it is flash supported, a camera, video as well as photo and thats just a start. I wish my daddy had bought me one. I had to buy one myself :-D

Well she is nearly 20, so don't think she will use it as a Toy as such. She was looking at either a tablet or a netbook, but she will only be using it mainly for accessing facebook and the games on there as well, and watching some videos, and being smaller and more portable, thought that this might be a better choice, if it was up for the job.

Is it practical to replace a phone, as it supports phone calls, or is it really to big to be used on a daily basis for this ?

I was thinking of getting one myself, though I might hang out for a few months as I was looking along the lines of a 10 inch one, though if it practical to use as a phone then I might reconsider, and get one for myself as well.

Guest moneytoo

Sure, Tab can load the Flash games on Facebook but it's not powerful enough to play and control games. I only tried CityVille - not only it's 10 times slower than it should be but also there are issues to move the land etc.

Guest spanner44
Sure, Tab can load the Flash games on Facebook but it's not powerful enough to play and control games. I only tried CityVille - not only it's 10 times slower than it should be but also there are issues to move the land etc.

Thanks for that, perhaps I should wait then for a few months to see what other tablets will be released, as I know she is quite an active player of the games on Facebook.

• 2 months later...
Guest isambard
It's very very good. Games play great on it. It's very well made. It's reasonably expensive (though £399 unlocked is better value than a lot of smartphones out there, and there's a nice £200 apps/movie/music voucher available from Samsung currently). There are some unofficial ROM's on XDA that definitely improve on performance, and with a decent launcher (i.e. launcher pro) it's slickness personified. Way better and more practical than the cheap and nasty 10" tablets currently coming out, and infinitely better than an iPad.

Just my opinion, mind you :huh:

what roms do you use? i just bought my tab and don't like the standard interface and the white theme. i'd like to get something with a more standard android version and customise from there.

Guest steviesteve

Whilst I love the Tab and rate it highly over any of the others on the market, it pains me to say that it is not really suitable for playing flash-based games such as the ones on Facebook. It's not so much to do with the device but more to do with the way the games are designed. I would suggest you buy her a netbook or small laptop - you'll save some money as well. Honestly, the problems with playing web based flash games will be the same regardless of the tablet you choose unless she wants to plug in a mouse - but then - how practical is that?