Bluetooth Blackberry internet tethering

Guest badger28

Guest badger28

Hello,

I am trying to use my blackberry curve as a 3g internet connection for my advent vega. Is this possible?

They connect easily using bluetooth, however I have no idea how to enable or force the internet connection from the blackberry to be shared.

Anyone got a clue? I realise it would be much easier if I had an android phone, however my contract isn't up for 12 months so unlikely to change my phone any time soon!

Thanks,

Nick

Guest wicca128
Hello,

I am trying to use my blackberry curve as a 3g internet connection for my advent vega. Is this possible?

They connect easily using bluetooth, however I have no idea how to enable or force the internet connection from the blackberry to be shared.

Anyone got a clue? I realise it would be much easier if I had an android phone, however my contract isn't up for 12 months so unlikely to change my phone any time soon!

Thanks,

Nick

I have been looking in to this with no luck i have a day to myself today and will work on doing it

Guest badger28
I have been looking in to this with no luck i have a day to myself today and will work on doing it

Thanks for all the replies. I had a skoot round for a few hours last night. Couldnt find a solution without being able to customise the vegas wireless connection much more than is currently possible.

Pdanet looked promising but it is more suited for laptops.

Guest Tony Williams
Thanks for all the replies. I had a skoot round for a few hours last night. Couldnt find a solution without being able to customise the vegas wireless connection much more than is currently possible.

Pdanet looked promising but it is more suited for laptops.

I've been trying to do this myself using pdanet on my iphone but with no luck. The vega sees the wifi connection from the iphone but won't connect. I'm guessing its because the vega won't connect to ad hoc networks. There is a way around this i believe but having read a couple of threads it doesn't seem that simple so i've resigned myself to non mobile access for the time being.

Tony

Are there not any apps that can make your BB into a wireless access point (thats if its got wifi?), this is what I will do when I want to use the vega when out and about?

Guest mad.dog
Are there not any apps that can make your BB into a wireless access point (thats if its got wifi?), this is what I will do when I want to use the vega when out and about?

Not that I can find - I think it's due to the BB security that RIM want to keep in place

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bennji_boy
Not that I can find - I think it's due to the BB security that RIM want to keep in place

Has anyone found a way of doing this yet, I would be really interested if it was possible?

Guest mad.dog
Has anyone found a way of doing this yet, I would be really interested if it was possible?

Apparently OS6.1 will support WiFi Access points - but that's a few months away

Hi,

I've been trying to use a Blackberry to connect the Vega to the net as well - but like others had no luck.

I use Tether to connect my laptop to the Blackberry and it works a treat.

I guess there isn't much call for linking a Blackberry to an Android device.

Guest ricosub
Hi,

I've been trying to use a Blackberry to connect the Vega to the net as well - but like others had no luck.

I use Tether to connect my laptop to the Blackberry and it works a treat.

I guess there isn't much call for linking a Blackberry to an Android device.

hi,

yes you are right we need someone to create a tether android bb hope will come soon

• 2 months later...
Guest creslin

Bit long-winded, but with cm7 you can set your vega as the access point, connect your blackberry wifi to that.

Then install socks/http/https proxy app like https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/6506 on the blackberry.

As BB and Vega are on same wireless lan vega can then TCP to the proxy bound to wifi interface on bb and use the bb cellular dataplan.

Might also be possible with 2.2 with kernel re-compile and fiddling to get vega to be adhoc.

This isn't the same as using the BB as a modem, but with socks, SSH tunneling, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP proxies available may be good enough for 99% of users.

-Cres