Phoenix Silver

Phoenix Silver

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade Orange France
  • Twitter:@phoenixbjp

I've just got This one from Play.com and the phone will not see it at all.

When inserted it just says "SD card removed. Please insert new one". It cannot be seen in recovery mode either. I've tried formatting the card on the PC and then inserting in the phone but still no good.

However, my wifes HTC Wildfire can see the card fine. I formatted the card again in her phone and then inserted into the SF but still it won't see it.

I will see what it is like when we have the new 2.2 releases after next week and see if that makes any difference. I can't help feeling that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one as other devices that I have had, camera's, phones etc, have been able to see larger SD cards after a software update. As I understand it, as long as the hardware supports the SDHC standard (rather than just SD) then the size limit is governed by the software.

I also think that we should list what firmware we are running to see if there are any combinations that definately work.

I am running "Sebastian404's de-orangeated-rom - r7" ROM

try to mount / format sd card in clockwork ?

Si le corps est mortel, l’âme elle est éternelle.

elastico

elastico

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco (OLED)

Can people please post their 16GB SD cards that are fully working with their Blade/OSF, and also where they got them. I'm already having to return the fist one I bought and don't want to have to buy others. I know there have been other threads about SD cards but it would be handy to have a list of ones that definitely work. Much appreciated.

Kingston 16 Gb class 4 (~10 MB/s write speed), FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (Beta) version r3, got the SD card from dustinhome.se (swedish retailer)
I should also ad that I tried two 8 GB Sandisk class 4 SD cards, from the same store, that didn't work before the Kingston card

RussellS

RussellS

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Devices:Blade, Huawei G300, Jiayu G3

try to mount / format sd card in clockwork ?

Tried that. It appears that clockwork can't see the card either. I can't remember the exact error message that it comes up with. When I get some more time I'll try again and post screenshots.

martinhy

martinhy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
(Taiwan) A-DATA 16GB Class-2 micro-SD is OK

oh!dougal

oh!dougal

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Devices:DX2 FroYo San Francisco

Tried that. It appears that clockwork can't see the card either. I can't remember the exact error message that it comes up with. When I get some more time I'll try again and post screenshots.

The card not being 'nicely' fitted into the phone would explain *no* software being able to 'see' it there.

Generally, card readers make a scraping ("wiping") contact that clears off any crud, oxide or other coating off the contacts.

The SF card socket (unlike some other phones) does not make a "wiping" contact, and therefore would, I suspect, be more vulnerable to any foreign matter on the card contacts.
A scrap of paper on top of the card would increase the contact pressure ... if you don't fancy cleaning the card contacts ... :unsure:

Edited by oh!dougal, 31 December 2010 - 07:01 PM.

DominicA

DominicA

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco
My 16gb play card kept having the card removed issue, 100% repeatable when I tried copying over an album of music to the phone or other large file, otherwise it was pretty stable. This to me sugests that the problem could possibly be down to sustained writes or heat with certain cards?

RussellS

RussellS

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Devices:Blade, Huawei G300, Jiayu G3

The card not being 'nicely' fitted into the phone would explain *no* software being able to 'see' it there.

Generally, card readers make a scraping ("wiping") contact that clears off any crud, oxide or other coating off the contacts.

The SF card socket (unlike some other phones) does not make a "wiping" contact, and therefore would, I suspect, be more vulnerable to any foreign matter on the card contacts.
A scrap of paper on top of the card would increase the contact pressure ... if you don't fancy cleaning the card contacts ... :unsure:

I thought that myself to start with. However, I've cleaned the contacts on the SD card and I have applied additional pressure against the card against the contacts all to no avail.

cartierv

cartierv

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Is anyone using the 8 gb class 4 Kingston ? Are the problems only with the 16 ?

Shadey1

Shadey1

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

Is anyone using the 8 gb class 4 Kingston ? Are the problems only with the 16 ?

I've got an 8gig Kingston class 4 and it constantly dismounts, I need to play with it more but i was getting seriously irked by the whole process the other day.

PeterPandroid

PeterPandroid

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade V
I had an auto-search response from HotUK Deals this morning for this Sandisk £16/16GB Class 2 SDHC from Play. I ordered it a few minutes ago and will write back to the forum if it works.

Link
http://www.play.com/...i...8120&r=MBLS

Pp

Edited by PeterPandroid, 03 January 2011 - 01:09 PM.

wbaw

wbaw

account closed

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
My 8gb class 2 sandisk card works fine

stanno

stanno

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Just to reply to my own thread - thanks to reports here I got a ScanDisk 16GB Class 2 from Play.com and it's working fine. It seems like this card works for everyone so may be a safe choice if unsure.

Ralph Martin

Ralph Martin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

That's what I thought but it's simply not true. To be sure of having a working one, I bought the Kingston 16GB Class 4 card but it doesn't work in either the OLED or TFT SFs that we have. I paid £22 for it rather than £16 for one from Play so I'm not too pleased about it. It keeps unmounting. The problem I now have is sending a card back that will no doubt test ok in a PC and that's what the vendor will base his test / refund against.

I've got just the same issue with Kingston 16GB Class 4 card. Did you resolve your problem in the end? If so, how?

Ralph Martin

Ralph Martin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

16GB class 4 kingston from mymemory.co.uk works fine for me.

But doesn't for me. Bought from a reputable supplier.

Ralph Martin

Ralph Martin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

For my own part, my 16GB card threw a bit of a hissy fit the first time it was used, but has been rock solid both for file transfers between laptop and phone and for general purpose use (photos, backups, caching, test file transfers) ever since, and that's been around 10 days of faultless operation. I'm using the stock Orange ROM. If those with problems have modified their Blades then I guess they don't have much cause to complain. Go back to stock and then see what happens.

I'm on the Stock Orange B08 ROM, and am getting issues with a Kingston 16Gb Class 4 SD.

_kD

_kD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:Orange SF/ZTE Blade
Sandisk Micro SDHC 16GB, from Play.com working 100%

tdodd

tdodd

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Note; ZTE Blade
I've recently moved on from the stock B05 ROM to Japanese Jellyfish 3b and now 4. My Play.com Class 4 16GB card is still working perfectly with the new ROMs, and of course I had no problem copying the ROMs over to the phone via USB in the first place. No problem with Nandroid backups either.

The way the reports are coming in for a wide variety of cards I would draw the conclusion that there is some sort of problem with contact reliability between the phone and the card. I find it difficult to believe that so many cards are duff from so many different manufacturers. Also, given that there are few/no complaints about the phone when used with the original card I struggle to see what other cause there might be for these problems. My guess is a badly seated card.

Edited by tdodd, 04 January 2011 - 02:29 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

cecanor

cecanor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I've just got This one from Play.com and the phone will not see it at all.

When inserted it just says "SD card removed. Please insert new one". It cannot be seen in recovery mode either. I've tried formatting the card on the PC and then inserting in the phone but still no good.

However, my wifes HTC Wildfire can see the card fine. I formatted the card again in her phone and then inserted into the SF but still it won't see it.

I will see what it is like when we have the new 2.2 releases after next week and see if that makes any difference. I can't help feeling that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one as other devices that I have had, camera's, phones etc, have been able to see larger SD cards after a software update. As I understand it, as long as the hardware supports the SDHC standard (rather than just SD) then the size limit is governed by the software.

I also think that we should list what firmware we are running to see if there are any combinations that definately work.

I am running "Sebastian404's de-orangeated-rom - r7" ROM

I have the same problem with my OLED Orange UK one Play.com 16gb class 4. And after 16GB Class 4 started not working 2GB Verbatim one has a similar problem now. I replaced the phone twice, replaced Verbatims several times in Orange store. But now I can't use SD Cards. At the longest time I use, I could download something 5 MB and SD Card Unexpectedly Removed, Preparing SD Card after Damaged SD Card warnings appear. Is this a general problem?

stanno

stanno

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I've recently moved on from the stock B05 ROM to Japanese Jellyfish 3b and now 4. My Play.com Class 4 16GB card is still working perfectly with the new ROMs, and of course I had no problem copying the ROMs over to the phone via USB in the first place. No problem with Nandroid backups either.

The way the reports are coming in for a wide variety of cards I would draw the conclusion that there is some sort of problem with contact reliability between the phone and the card. I find it difficult to believe that so many cards are duff from so many different manufacturers. Also, given that there are few/no complaints about the phone when used with the original card I struggle to see what other cause there might be for these problems. My guess is a badly seated card.

There's no way it's just a badly seated card issue. I wasn't going to throw away £18 lightly so I spent ages fitting and re-fitting the first card I got. It never worked, not once over several days trying. To me that proved it isn't just a seating issue.

The reason I started this thread is that I wanted to find a card which worked for other people. Everyone who posted said the ScanDisk 16GB class 2 from play.com worked, so I got one and.... it works. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Ralph Martin

Ralph Martin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Interesting. I just took the 16Gb card that didn't work, and put it in an HTC phone. I managed to format it OK in there. I then put it back in my Blade, and formatted it there. It seemed to be working. Then I put it in a PC, and copied files to it. It then stopped working again. I went round the whole cycle, and it's back in my Blade working OK. There's definitely something strange going on here.

Next up is to try to copy the files from my old card using USB cable with the new card in the phone, rather than putting the new card in a PC to do the copy...

Anyone got a good explanation for this behaviour?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users