[ROM] 31/Dec r0.3: de-softened ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [froyo] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest jasonXXx
Thank you so much for this ROM - it appears to be the most stable one of all custom 2.2 roms.

I only had one issue with WiFi tethering, which worked kind-of, but only for very few sites like google.com. After comparing with other roms, I found the fix: the contents of /system/etc/init.athwlan.sh for this rom contains a line which needs to be removed:

#ZTE_RIL_WANGCHENG_20101016 for SBM
/system/bin/ifconfig rmnet0 mtu 1500
#ZTE_RIL_WANGCHENG_20101016
[/codebox]

After removing this line, WiFi tethering works like a charm for me.

Is this confermed by any one else does this fix the problem?

Guest tttonyyy

Connects, gets IP addy from phone but no internet connection.

Edit: Didn't make the script +x for root, none of the wifi was working, will test again later.

Edit later: Nope, still connects but not as a gateway.

Edited by tttonyyy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest That-Guy
Connects, gets IP addy from phone but no internet connection.

Edit: Didn't make the script +x for root, none of the wifi was working, will test again later.

Edit later: Nope, still connects but not as a gateway.

Works for me after deleting this line :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bandreasz

Hi all,

I've got an annoying problem. I can't set my virtual keyboard(ultra keyboard) as default in this ROM. This possibility is supposed to be in the keyboard menu, but it is actually missing. Any idea?

• 2 months later...
Guest caldersj
I've been running this ROM for a couple of weeks now. At first I did not have data plan in my contract before, but now I do. I'm using T-Mobile but I can't seem to be able to connect to the internet through 3G.

Wifi at home works Ok, but if i turn it off and activate the data connection, I can see the H icon flashing, but nothing happens.

If I check the mobile settings, T-Mobile APN is selected.

I've tried ticking "Using 2G only" with the same results.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi, it has been a while, but did you ever fix this? I have the same issue. I bought my San Fran on Ebay as unlocked, but with the stock Orange ROM (Android 2.1). I then put a t-Mobile SIM into it, and all was fine except Bluetooth wouldn't work properly in my car. I then went through what for me was the fairly daunting process of installing Sebastian's custom 2.2 ROM mentioned on this post, including the Kernel update. Hey Presto, the bluetooth issue was fixed and all seemed well, and the whole thing was smoother and cleaner without the Orange baggage. Happy Days... for a while.

I didn't bother using internet because I have a work iPhone for that. But recently I got a Wifi-only iPad, and realized that the San Fran on 2.2 (but not 2.1) can act as a mobile Wifi Hotspot, so (I thought) I can use the iPad to browse when out and about. Except that I discovered internet on T-Mobile doesn't seem to work with the 2.2 ROM, as per your post. I've tried every APN setting under the sun, with no luck. I restored a backup of the original 2.1 Orange setup and internet worked fine, so it is something about the 2.2 ROM with T-Mobile (UK) methinks.

I've tried installing Japanese Jellyfish 2.2, but it wouldn't boot, and Cyanogen 2.3 (Gingerbread) for Blade, but that wouldn't boot either. Both just flashed the boot logo. I didn't do anything with the kernel in either case - not sure if I should have done as I'm still at Newbie stage with the whole Android thing.

Can you shed any light? I assume that eventually there will be a stock Orange 2.3 ROM, but don't want to wait, as they haven't even issued a 2.2 version (to my knowledge).

Thanks for any pointers.

Guest wakaru
Hi, it has been a while, but did you ever fix this? I have the same issue. (...)

Can you shed any light? I assume that eventually there will be a stock Orange 2.3 ROM, but don't want to wait, as they haven't even issued a 2.2 version (to my knowledge).

If I remember well, after fiddling with the APN settings on SS ROM I finally did not manage to find a solution so I tried flashing Japanese Jellyfish and the 3G worked fine straightaway.

If JJ is not working in yours there must have been something you did wrong. (Did you format the data partition, dalvik cache, etc... from Clockwork Recovery?)

I would suggest you try other ROMS. My advice right now for a 100% stable ROM would be Swedish Spring and if you do not mind a few little issues, Cyanogen then. If you have a look at the post with the TPT procedure to go from Gen1 to Gen2, there is one download bundled with the latest nightly (N57) of Cyanogen Mod. That will take your Gen1 to a Gen2 and install Cyanogen at the same time. If you prefer to install Swedish Spring the TPT method is also possible, just swap the Cyanogen Mod by the Swedish one ald you can do the whole thing in one go.

Going back to Gen1 (if you ever decide to for any reason) would be as simple as another TPT described in th esame post.

Guest caldersj
If I remember well, after fiddling with the APN settings on SS ROM I finally did not manage to find a solution so I tried flashing Japanese Jellyfish and the 3G worked fine straightaway.

If JJ is not working in yours there must have been something you did wrong. (Did you format the data partition, dalvik cache, etc... from Clockwork Recovery?)

I would suggest you try other ROMS. My advice right now for a 100% stable ROM would be Swedish Spring and if you do not mind a few little issues, Cyanogen then. If you have a look at the post with the TPT procedure to go from Gen1 to Gen2, there is one download bundled with the latest nightly (N57) of Cyanogen Mod. That will take your Gen1 to a Gen2 and install Cyanogen at the same time. If you prefer to install Swedish Spring the TPT method is also possible, just swap the Cyanogen Mod by the Swedish one ald you can do the whole thing in one go.

Going back to Gen1 (if you ever decide to for any reason) would be as simple as another TPT described in th esame post.

Cheers. I'm going to try the Swedish Spring again, this time making sure to clear all caches etc. That is after I've bought a magnifying glass so my failing eyes can read the miniscule text on the Clockwork menus....