UMTS/3G Videotelephony with an Android mobile?

Guest Master One

Guest Master One

I am new to Android and this forum, I just got my new ZTE Blade a few days ago, and now I am wondering, if an Android mobile is capable of videophony.

UMTS/3G videophony is a separate service besides normal telephony, which is support by any "normal" UMTS/3G mobile, even by devices that do not have a front-camera (like my NOKIA E61i and AMOI 3Skypephone), which will show the picture of the main camera on the backside instead then (but that can be switched off, so that the conversational partner does not see any picture).

The ZTE Blade has no front-camera, but that should not be an issue, as mentioned above. The problem is, that

• the normal Android telephony app / standard-dialer does not offer the option to initiate a video call
  • a stock Android mobile can not be called by videophony (I just tried initiating a video call from my 3Skypephone to the ZTE Blade, but all I get is "Service not supported" and then the call is terminated)

Is there an UMTS/3G videophony app available that supports the UMTS/3G videophony service?

Or is the UMTS/3G videophony service not supported at all by any Android mobile?

I'm not much interested in "active" videophony calls, but we have some Pupillo devices (which are stationary UMTS videocameras, as has been offered by Three some time ago), that I really do not want to miss.

P.S. The UMTS video call service has nothing to do with ordinary video calls over the internet! So suggestions for "Tango" or "Fring" are of no use here!

Guest Tsahi Levent-Levi

Doing 3G video telephony is something that can only be done if the handset vendor added it actively to the Android device.

The vendor needs to modify the RIL daemon that comes with the basic Android and muck around the Telephony Manager to begin with.

I've written a whitepaper in the past on what else is required - you can download it here: http://www.radvision.com/Resources/Develop...integration.htm

There are several Android phones that support 3G video telephony - the Samsung Galaxy S is one of them, but there is no app you can download, and I don't think there can be from a technical viewpoint.

Regards,

Tsahi Levent-Levi

CTO, Technology Business Unit

RADVISION

Blog: VoipSurvivor.com

• 1 month later...