28/Mar [GUIDE] Update to Unlock 256MB Devices to 512MB [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest PeaNut_HU
I tried it out.

It doesn't relock the phone.

OK, the topic should be modified so that unlock _might_ be needed after applying.

Then again, wo has not unlocked their phone and used it "legally", it will also not remove the lock if it was locked and vice-versa, so there should be no problem with this behaviour of the update.

Guest StevenHarperUK
OK, the topic should be modified so that unlock _might_ be needed after applying.

Then again, wo has not unlocked their phone and used it "legally", it will also not remove the lock if it was locked and vice-versa, so there should be no problem with this behaviour of the update.

I'll leave it as is for now.

Guest PeaNut_HU
I'll leave it as is for now.

I have not thanked you yet for creating this informational new topic with all information concentrated into a post.

So, thanks ;) :(

Guest StevenHarperUK
I have not thanked you yet for creating this informational new topic with all information concentrated into a post.

So, thanks ;) :(

No worries ;)

Was it yourself that got this up and running?

I am thinking of another thread to follow up this new Single ZIP method of wiping a Device so it is Completely flashed in one single step.

It may be the future ;)

Guest PeaNut_HU
No worries :(

Was it yourself that got this up and running?

I am thinking of another thread to follow up this new Single ZIP method of wiping a Device so it is Completely flashed in one single step.

It may be the future ;)

No, fonix232 got hold of the update image from a T-Mobile service point (or from somewhere else, i don't know exactly). I have just mirrored the update image on my account too, so fonix232's server doesn't get hammered too much with downloads. I have luckily an Orange SF so it did not concern my device, but i am actively monitoring this topic too, so i can help my hungarian friends who have also bought T-Mobile Blades here in Hungary ;)

Also i sometimes translated the hungarian talk on the topic to english for those who asked, but main credit definitely goes to fonix232 for getting ahold of the update.

Edited by PeaNut_HU

Guest Gohst_oc

Wo cool fix, but I don't hope / think that there are more ZTE Blade's out there with only 256 MB RAM aviable.

BTW, j.f.y.i , the swiss ZTE's are all having 512 MB RAM unlocked.

Even the newest one, glossy black and whitout orange logo.

Edited by Gohst_oc

Guest fonix232
No, fonix232 got hold of the update image from a T-Mobile service point (or from somewhere else, i don't know exactly). I have just mirrored the update image on my account too, so fonix232's server doesn't get hammered too much with downloads. I have luckily an Orange SF so it did not concern my device, but i am actively monitoring this topic too, so i can help my hungarian friends who have also bought T-Mobile Blades here in Hungary :(

Also i sometimes translated the hungarian talk on the topic to english for those who asked, but main credit definitely goes to fonix232 for getting ahold of the update.

It was sly7 at the ProHardver (hungarian) Forum who shared it, I just upped to my server for hosting!

Applying this update WILL re-lock your device and you will have to re-generate / enter the unlock code (based on the devices IMEI)

Could you tell me if applying this patch will harm an Orange San Francisco with 512 MB? I bought mine in Switzerland and unlocked it to use it with a German network, but if I ever have to return it I would try to get the simlock back with this mod, so my warranty is restored.

Did yout try it out yourself and verified phone is not re-locked ?

I tried it on my unlocked orange uk phone, if it did relock it, then it locked it to orange uk & I can't see why it'd do that, surely if it was going to network lock the phone it'd lock it to t-mobile hungary. I kept the orange sim in while i flashed the phone & while i was running the hungarian rom, it didn't give me an error, but i didn't try a non-orange sim while running the hungarian rom. It's unlocked now, I just tried an O2 sim, it works, but I'm running modaco froyo alpha 3 now, I'm not sure if that unlocks it (if not, then this update definitely wont relock an unlocked phone).

So, I'm pretty sure it doesn't relock the phone.

I'm not sure I needed to apply the update, it was late & I'd just got my new replacement, I might have looked at the free ram instead of total ram, but it did no harm at all to my uk orange tft san francisco.

It does remove clockworkmod, but that can be reflashed with fastboot.

Edited by wbaw

Guest StevenHarperUK
Could you tell me if applying this patch will harm an Orange San Francisco with 512 MB? I bought mine in Switzerland and unlocked it to use it with a German network, but if I ever have to return it I would try to get the simlock back with this mod, so my warranty is restored.

I would not try it. Not unless someone else confirms its good.

In all probability it will work - but we cant tell.

There's no reason to risk it, it wont restore the sim lock. It's also more likely to invalidate your warranty than a network unlock would.

Guest StevenHarperUK
There's no reason to risk it, it wont restore the sim lock. It's also more likely to invalidate your warranty than a network unlock would.

I agree your far more likely to make it much worse. Do hang on though, as the devs learn more about the structure of the new update system (from the image directory on the sdcard) more things may become possible.

Fonix232 said here that the new bootloader fixes the wifi sleep policy so that never = never. How can this be incorporated into current ROMs/firmware?

That would make many people very happy including myself.

I'd be happy to test if someone has an idea of how to make this happen!

Guest Sebastian404

Follow the instructions and apply the update to your device, and see what happens

Follow the instructions and apply the update to your device, and see what happens

Downloading and backing up now, if I get into trouble, can I hope for a little dedicated support?

I thought there may have been a possibility of just taking the new bootloader and placing it on the device without going through the whole process, but if that's what needs to be done, I'll give it a whirl.

Quick question, I don't assume this behaviour will likely be fixed in the Chinese ROM, but what about when the kernel is finally released by ZTE?

Edited by jt_mcg

Fonix232 said here that the new bootloader fixes the wifi sleep policy so that never = never. How can this be incorporated into current ROMs/firmware?

That would make many people very happy including myself.

The wifi buddy app in that thread works for me after doing the hungarian update, not sure if it would've worked before, i didn't see it until after I'd updated. You do still need to use that wifi buddy app to set the wifi sleep policy to never, the hungarian update didn't fix it alone.

It does still disconnect sometimes when unlocking, but reconnects straight away, faster than blade wifi fix does it.

I've only just realised it works properly, because i got the blade wifi fix from the market first & it was still reconnecting. i've uninstalled that now & it works better without the blade wifi fix.

The wifi buddy app in that thread works for me after doing the hungarian update, not sure if it would've worked before, i didn't see it until after I'd updated. You do still need to use that wifi buddy app to set the wifi sleep policy to never, the hungarian update didn't fix it alone.

It does still disconnect sometimes when unlocking, but reconnects straight away, faster than blade wifi fix does it.

I've only just realised it works properly, because i got the blade wifi fix from the market first & it was still reconnecting. i've uninstalled that now & it works better without the blade wifi fix.

forget that, sorry, it just disconnected. it doesn't totally fix the wifi disconnection problem, but it does seem to improve it a little.

Edited by wbaw