anti virus

Guest aintcrackedityet

Guest aintcrackedityet

Hi gang,

I noticed avg anti virus in the market place.

Should we be using this or similar.

What are the rest of you using on your vega's !

cheers

aintcrackedityet

Guest wipeout140
Hi gang,

I noticed avg anti virus in the market place.

Should we be using this or similar.

What are the rest of you using on your vega's !

cheers

aintcrackedityet

I don't think a anti virus is need on Android. And have never used one, on any of my android powered devices.

Guest simonta

I believe that given the wild west that is the market, Android is a malware nightmare waiting to happen and I thoroughly recommend protection.

Here's a simple example. I see a nice app in the market to manage my contacts. It's free and ad supported so the required permissions are read and write my contacts and full network access. I agree to this (assuming that I'm smart enough to check the permissions for every app I install and think about what they mean) and install the app.

I run the app to manage my contacts and behind my back, using the permissions I gave it, it uploads my entire contact list to a server somewhere out there.

Hmmm.

I run AVG and Lookout and would suggest to any Android user that they take precautions.

Android Malware on the rise

Guest aintcrackedityet
I believe that given the wild west that is the market, Android is a malware nightmare waiting to happen and I thoroughly recommend protection.

Here's a simple example. I see a nice app in the market to manage my contacts. It's free and ad supported so the required permissions are read and write my contacts and full network access. I agree to this (assuming that I'm smart enough to check the permissions for every app I install and think about what they mean) and install the app.

I run the app to manage my contacts and behind my back, using the permissions I gave it, it uploads my entire contact list to a server somewhere out there.

Hmmm.

I run AVG and Lookout and would suggest to any Android user that they take precautions.

I tend to agree, some of these apps ask you to sign your life away when you accept them.

Anti virus is being installed on mine asap.

It'll be interesting to see how performance is affected.

Thanks for your thoughts

aintcrackedityet

Guest Toxophilite
.........I run AVG and Lookout and would suggest to any Android user that they take precautions.

I have tried AVG Free (Android Version) on the Vega but it failed due presumably to the Vega not being 3G enabled.

Does anyone know if the Pro version (paid) would work on the Vega? I suspect not.

Guest simonta
I have tried AVG Free (Android Version) on the Vega but it failed due presumably to the Vega not being 3G enabled.

Does anyone know if the Pro version (paid) would work on the Vega? I suspect not.

Install myFakeLocation, or some other GPS spoofer. Get it to spoof your location. Start AVG then go to settings. Go to Remote Management and turn off send your location. AVG will now run without the spoofer. AVG uses this to identify infections and their geography to form better responses. AFAIK, it doesn't affect the scanning/protection.

Guest Touch Graphite

I run Lookout mobile security on my desire and Vega, they scan all Apps as they're installed and at a scheduled period.

No slow down of all device at all.

Also includes a backup option and an option to find your device.

Don't know if it works fir the Vega through wifi but it works a treat in the desire.

I just tried avg. It said I have issues, they were 97apps, 734 activity screens, 38 service providers, and another I can't remember. Clicking fix just started a process to uninstall all my apps, starting with superuser. So I'm guessing its not that great on a Vega. :(

Just checked I only have 56apps listed.......................

Edited by kiora2

Guest Toxophilite

Thanks Simonta - got AVG Free to install and run.

However I am having similar problems to kiora2:

AVG scan gives message 'Suspicious item was found!'

Shows 95 installed apps

724 activity screens

71 content providers

120receivers

93 services

Don't want to click 'Fix' and end up losing applications like kiora2.

Edited by Toxophilite

Guest simonta
Thanks Simonta - got AVG Free to install and run.

However I am having similar problems to kiora2:

AVG scan gives message 'Suspicious item was found!'

Shows 95 installed apps

724 activity screens

71 content providers

120receivers

93 services

Don't want to click 'Fix' and end up losing applications like kiora2.

Strange, works for me. Or rather, I should say, it's never flagged anything suspicious so I've never clicked Fix. Reckon it's best to steer clear then. Thanks for the heads up, uninstalled.

Guest Sir Gash

I am not convinced that using antivirus apps on Android is worth it. Personally, I am happy to just use DroidWall (Android Firewall) which blocks apps from connecting to the internet unless you add them to a white list. As most malware is designed to collect personal information this is the best solution in my opinion. Of course, you will run the risk for apps that require internet access (e.g. Browsers, feed apps etc.) and therefore you will need to allow access, in which case just research the app a bit first.

Guest Toxophilite
I am not convinced that using antivirus apps on Android is worth it. Personally, I am happy to just use DroidWall (Android Firewall) which blocks apps from connecting to the internet unless you add them to a white list. As most malware is designed to collect personal information this is the best solution in my opinion. Of course, you will run the risk for apps that require internet access (e.g. Browsers, feed apps etc.) and therefore you will need to allow access, in which case just research the app a bit first.

Thanks for that - seems a reasonable solution.

I have now installed Droidwall.

I have not whitelisted 'Applications running as root' - is this OK in your opinion?

My Vega is not rooted and I don't have Clockworkmod or anything similar.

Would appreciate your advice.

Happy New Year! :unsure: