I'd be very grateful for some help. My new N700 is my first Android device (well 2nd, if you count a cheap 1.6 slow tab I returned to Robert Dyas after 24 hours when I realised my mistake!)
However, try as I may, I can't root my tablet.
SuperOneClick just waits after starting rageagainstthecage, Z4root installs, runs then causes a reboot.
This prevents me from making a backup, and then flashing any of the custom roms....
This forum, and others seem to offer very useful advice, but not quite enough, so any suggestions?
PS - strangely, tried to post this from the browser on the Android device, but the "Post New Topic" link didn't display at the bottom of the page! So had to switch to PC and Chrome!
UPDATE: Further research and seem to have sorted using VISIONary - now running Titanium backup....
let's try this "manual"
1. Download the file "SuperOneClickv" from http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=803682
. Extract the zip file out into a folder.
2. Replace the adb.exe from SuperOneClick with the adb.exe from the Mi700 CDROM (this is the virtual drive created when you connect your data cable to windows).
3. Run SuperOneClick > and then click "Root"... it will hang after completing a few tasks. Do not worry. Exit the program.
4. Run the same program again... Click "Root" again and this time, it will finish the process and it would show that the Mi700 is ROOTED.
5. Install the ADB drivers from the CD ROM Drive that is specifically created when you plug the Mi700 to your desktop. Either double click on the drive to enter setup or using Windows Explorer, click on "Setup.exe".
6. Open a command prompt from windows, go to your adb directory.
[For those who have used ADB on other Android devices and have installed AndroidSDK]
Usually, it will be c:/AndroidSDK/Android-Sdk-windows/tools
[For those who are using ADB for the first time]
Open Command Prompt (Start > Run > Type "CMD", and press Enter). Then go to the directory where you extracted the zip file in step 1.
E.g. C:\Users\[your username]\Desktop\SuperOneClickv1.4-ShortFuse
7. Copy the file "su" (there is no file extension) from where you extracted SuperOneClick.zip and put it into your "c:/AndroidSDK/Android-Sdk-windows/tools" folder (if you have AndroidSDK), if not, put it in the same folder as the SuperOneClick extracted file.
8. In your command prompt from step 6, type:
adb push su /system/bin
and the file will be copied to your device.
9. If you had no problems pushing (copying the file) then go straight to step 9. If you get "read-only file system" error. Type the following from the command prompt.
adb shell mount -oremount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
10. Important last step... you need to change the permission of the file so that you do not lose the root. Type "Adb shell"
a # prompt will appear. Type the following:
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
and you are done!http://forum.xda-dev...d...071&page=10