Malata Zpad T2 Development - Should also work on Vega

Guest HexusOdy

Guest emergant
Girls and boys

Who knows their way around Wifi in Android? If we could collectively crack this problem it would open up a ton of new opportunties for custom ROMs with some of the faster kernels around and various fixes and tweaks. I've been playing with TnT 2.0 and the Vegan-Tab ROM both of which give a noticeable performance boost and some nice UI improvements. I've got them both running fine but can't get WiFi fixed.

I've put back the drivers, wpa_supplicant and init.rc from the stock Vega but still no worky. I must be missing something but know just enough to be dangerous with Linux Wifi support.

Who's up for a collaborative effort to get Wifi and bluetooth up and running so that we can give something back to the good folks lurking around here?

PS. I ran WinMerge on the lib folders - no significant changes.

I doubt the kernel will be a drop in replacement as the wifi driver is a kernel module. You say you copied the driver over but is the kernel module actually loaded?

Can you open a terminal on the new firmware and enter:

su

lsmod

Those commands get root access then display loaded kernel modules

You can use the modprobe command to load the driver module if necessary. Im going frrom memory but i think the module is something like ar6000.ko. So:

modprobe ar6000

To load the module if necessary. The module is what comes from the vega rom. Youll likely have more luck copying our whole kernel or boot image over though

The thing is the module is unlikely to be loadable on a different kernel version

The dmesg command may also give useful information.

Im curious in what way you feel the other roms are better?

Wow, it works!

Had to go through some troubles but I managed to extract the apk form the system.img and installed it on my tab...

Don't know if I can share the apk here, because of forum rules...

If not, please let me know and I'll remove the link...

zTab File manager

Cheers and Happy New Year

Guest benniebob
Girls and boys

Who knows their way around Wifi in Android? If we could collectively crack this problem it would open up a ton of new opportunties for custom ROMs with some of the faster kernels around and various fixes and tweaks. I've been playing with TnT 2.0 and the Vegan-Tab ROM both of which give a noticeable performance boost and some nice UI improvements. I've got them both running fine but can't get WiFi fixed.

I've put back the drivers, wpa_supplicant and init.rc from the stock Vega but still no worky. I must be missing something but know just enough to be dangerous with Linux Wifi support.

Who's up for a collaborative effort to get Wifi and bluetooth up and running so that we can give something back to the good folks lurking around here?

PS. I ran WinMerge on the lib folders - no significant changes.

The wifi drivers are located in /system/lib/hw/wlan folder of the stock vega firmware.

Guest simonta
Im curious in what way you feel the other roms are better?

In general, not really better but have some tweaks/fixes I'd like to bring back to the Vega. In particular, check out the Vegan ROM for the G Tab and TnT 2.0. By way of example, full width notification pulldown (the notifications themselves, not just the pulldown); there are some funky screen animations; phone and provider have been added back in to prepare for possible 3G dongleness etc. I also checked out the TnT kernel and it seemed to give the Vega a speed boost although I didn't get around to running Linpack or Quadrant. Then there's CIFS and NTFS support in the kernel; reboot and running apps options on power long press etc etc. Do check out their changelogs and gits, there are a lot of goodies out there.

Plus, my Android systems knowledge is what I'd describe as "enough to be dangerous" or conciously incompetent although I'm a reasonably capable Android developer if I stick to the bases classes and libraries. Would like to move to "dashing good looks with a hint of menace" or unconciously competent. Hacking ROMs together seems a great way to do that.

Anyroad up, thanks for the additional info on kernel modules. I think that might be what I'm missing. Will stop hacking for tonight and help Mrs T towards alcoholic incoherence to usher in the New Year in fine style and resume my explorations on Monday when the hangover should have cleared.

Happy New year to all.

Edited by simonta

Guest emergant
In general, not really better but have some tweaks/fixes I'd like to bring back to the Vega. In particular, check out the Vegan ROM for the G Tab and TnT 2.0. By way of example, full width notification pulldown (the notifications themselves, not just the pulldown); there are some funky screen animations; phone and provider have been added back in to prepare for possible 3G dongleness etc. I also checked out the TnT kernel and it seemed to give the Vega a speed boost although I didn't get around to running Linpack or Quadrant. Then there's CIFS and NTFS support in the kernel; reboot and running apps options on power long press etc etc. Do check out their changelogs and gits, there are a lot of goodies out there.

Plus, my Android systems knowledge is what I'd describe as "enough to be dangerous" or conciously incompetent although I'm a reasonably capable Android developer if I stick to the bases classes and libraries. Would like to move to "dashing good looks with a hint of menace" or unconciously competent. Hacking ROMs together seems a great way to do that.

Anyroad up, thanks for the additional info on kernel modules. I think that might be what I'm missing. Will stop hacking for tonight and help Mrs T towards alcoholic incoherence to usher in the New Year in fine style and resume my explorations on Monday when the hangover should have cleared.

Happy New year to all.

Yes I've been watching xda a little now and again. I think we would be better off isolating specific fixes and trying to put them into our rom than switching out the whole rom. Its interesting that the gtab guys are actually trying to use our rom which makes me think that its likely a better foundation to build on but i appreciate that you have to start somewhere :unsure:

I dont think it will be easy to swap kernels or kernel modules. We really need the kernel source to do much at that level. If you built a kernel from the nvidia sources of the same version say 2.6.32 it may just be possible to drop in foreign modules into a vega 2.6.32 but not from 33 to 32. Thats my understanding but i dont claim to be a developer. I know a lot more linux than android too.

You may be able to update the system partition fron a gtab or folio100 keeping our boot image but i'm not sure. Perhaps others could chime in here.

I think the new ux100 kernel which is due may fix a few of our kernel issues. One day i'd like to see brtfs, ext4 fuse etc. All of which need kernel sources

A very happy new year look forward to hearing of the results of your experiment

Guest danielj58
Yes I've been watching xda a little now and again. I think we would be better off isolating specific fixes and trying to put them into our rom than switching out the whole rom. Its interesting that the gtab guys are actually trying to use our rom which makes me think that its likely a better foundation to build on but i appreciate that you have to start somewhere :unsure:

I dont think it will be easy to swap kernels or kernel modules. We really need the kernel source to do much at that level. If you built a kernel from the nvidia sources of the same version say 2.6.32 it may just be possible to drop in foreign modules into a vega 2.6.32 but not from 33 to 32. Thats my understanding but i dont claim to be a developer. I know a lot more linux than android too.

You may be able to update the system partition fron a gtab or folio100 keeping our boot image but i'm not sure. Perhaps others could chime in here.

I think the new ux100 kernel which is due may fix a few of our kernel issues. One day i'd like to see brtfs, ext4 fuse etc. All of which need kernel sources

A very happy new year look forward to hearing of the results of your experiment

I only flashed the system image, Bluetooth did indeed work for me, which leads me to believe I 'might' be able to take a stab at switching over the wifi and camera modules and see if they work tomorrow. Until we have kernel sources we're stuck with the boot image we have though me thinks, unless a Linux expert wants to put me right B)

I saw considerable performance increase just from loading the system image, I didn't benchmark, but there were no micro lags like on the stock/modaco roms :angry:

Edited by danielj58

Guest simonta

I'm far from expert but, in principle, we should be able to use any bootloader for Tegra. The CPU always kicks off it's own micro loader which initialises the NVRAM then starts the code at a fixed offset in bootloader.bin in NVRAM. This offset is burnt into the CPU so whatever code is there will start executing. From there on in, the bootloader takes over and off we go. It then unpacks boot.img which contains the kernel and a RAMdisk which has executables to initialise the rest of the system and unpack the kernel.

http://www.androidenea.com/2009/06/android...m-power-on.html

If you flash an entire ROM image, then NVRAM is completely repartitoned by the flash with each image in the correct partition. Provided that the bootloader.bin does it job (and then only thing that matters is that it's a Tegra loader), what happens then is dependent on the ROM. In otherwords, bootloader.bin and boot.img are the keys to the kingdom.

So, if we don't flash boot.img, we don't get a replacement kernel. From what I'm reading, we need replacement kernels to get the hardware support (this surprises me, I know Windows well which only has generic "micro drivers" in the kernel. All individual device support is outside ring 0). Do you need to recompile kernel to get, for example, a specific Wifi module loaded?

I recently accidentally flashed the boot.img from TnT but I then couldn't boot. I really thought I'd bricked it (and NVFlash is then only way to bork a Vega) but eventually, with some help from the XDA guys, I found a key combination that gave me APX connectivity - phew (I'll document that next time I do it :unsure:).

The whole point of this ramble is that if we could understand how the mechanism that gets us into recovery works at the lowest level, then we should be able to flash entire custom ROMs without worrying about bricking. I guess that there is some code in the ASIC which checks for key combinations at power on but whether that's right, or what happens after that, who knows?

For now, without source, I agree that it's a brave soul whole flash an entire ROM.

Guest emergant
I'm far from expert but, in principle, we should be able to use any bootloader for Tegra. The CPU always kicks off it's own micro loader which initialises the NVRAM then starts the code at a fixed offset in bootloader.bin in NVRAM. This offset is burnt into the CPU so whatever code is there will start executing. From there on in, the bootloader takes over and off we go. It then unpacks boot.img which contains the kernel and a RAMdisk which has executables to initialise the rest of the system and unpack the kernel.

If you flash an entire ROM image, then NVRAM is completely repartitoned by the flash with each image in the correct partition. Provided that the bootloader.bin does it job (and then only thing that matters is that it's a Tegra loader), what happens then is dependent on the ROM. In otherwords, bootloader.bin and boot.img are the keys to the kingdom.

So, if we don't flash boot.img, we don't get a replacement kernel. From what I'm reading, we need replacement kernels to get the hardware support (this surprises me, I know Windows well which only has generic "micro drivers" in the kernel. All individual device support is outside ring 0). Do you need to recompile kernel to get, for example, a specific Wifi module loaded?

I recently accidentally flashed the boot.img from TnT but I then couldn't boot. I really thought I'd bricked it (and NVFlash is then only way to bork a Vega) but eventually, with some help from the XDA guys, I found a key combination that gave me APX connectivity - phew (I'll document that next time I do it :unsure:).

The whole point of this ramble is that if we could understand how the mechanism that gets us into recovery works at the lowest level, then we should be able to flash entire custom ROMs without worrying about bricking. I guess that there is some code in the ASIC which checks for key combinations at power on but whether that's right, or what happens after that, who knows?

For now, without source, I agree that it's a brave soul whole flash an entire ROM.

I also make no claims to being an expert. In fact i would be happy to be corrected if anyone sees an error in the following.

As far as i can tell theres a proprietary nvidia loader burnt onto the chip which we cant break. In that sense you cant brick the device. The advent rom uses a proprietary utillity called nvflash to flash and format everything above the nvidia bootloader. When flashing with nvflash there is a .bct (bootloader cobfiguration) file which supplies info I dont understand. I would guess that it relates to the location of he secondary bootloader and partition table info but thats a guess. I havent found much documentation on this. This file is device specific and bad things may happen if you get this bit wrong. Not totally sure.

As i understand it when using nvflash, you actually load an alternate bootloader into ram only prior to reading or writing flash.

I think the secondary bootloader is fastboot which i guess sits on top of the nvidia bootloader. Presumably fastboot is as low as clockworkmod/adb goes and that is why you shouldnt be able to pernanently brick the device outside of nvflash. You may not be able to brick with nvflash either provided we have enough data to reconstruct the flash but i dont know if we do have all the needed info and im not brave enough to test that. I suspect its all in the vega rom zip from advent

With the above in mind its unlikely that flashing other roms would brick the device provided you dont use nvflash. If you felt brave and did use nvflash then certainly make sure you use the vega nvflash configuration files from advent. Do not use .bct files which come from other similar devices

So what would i like to know.

Where are the key combinations mapped to enter recovery mode etc. They must be customisable as they arent constant across tegra devices?

Can we get a more open bootloader to sit on top of the nvidia one. Uboot would be good. Can we atleast get somethibg that can bot off sd/usb? Has anyone tried to boot from other devices?

Can we repartition/use other file systems?

What type of flash do we have? Does it have chp level wear levelling like an sd card or is a raw device hence the use of YAFFS?

Guest danielj58
I also make no claims to being an expert. In fact i would be happy to be corrected if anyone sees an error in the following.

As far as i can tell theres a proprietary nvidia loader burnt onto the chip which we cant break. In that sense you cant brick the device. The advent rom uses a proprietary utillity called nvflash to flash and format everything above the nvidia bootloader. When flashing with nvflash there is a .bct (bootloader cobfiguration) file which supplies info I dont understand. I would guess that it relates to the location of he secondary bootloader and partition table info but thats a guess. I havent found much documentation on this. This file is device specific and bad things may happen if you get this bit wrong. Not totally sure.

As i understand it when using nvflash, you actually load an alternate bootloader into ram only prior to reading or writing flash.

I think the secondary bootloader is fastboot which i guess sits on top of the nvidia bootloader. Presumably fastboot is as low as clockworkmod/adb goes and that is why you shouldnt be able to pernanently brick the device outside of nvflash. You may not be able to brick with nvflash either provided we have enough data to reconstruct the flash but i dont know if we do have all the needed info and im not brave enough to test that. I suspect its all in the vega rom zip from advent

With the above in mind its unlikely that flashing other roms would brick the device provided you dont use nvflash. If you felt brave and did use nvflash then certainly make sure you use the vega nvflash configuration files from advent. Do not use .bct files which come from other similar devices

So what would i like to know.

Where are the key combinations mapped to enter recovery mode etc. They must be customisable as they arent constant across tegra devices?

Can we get a more open bootloader to sit on top of the nvidia one. Uboot would be good. Can we atleast get somethibg that can bot off sd/usb? Has anyone tried to boot from other devices?

Can we repartition/use other file systems?

What type of flash do we have? Does it have chp level wear levelling like an sd card or is a raw device hence the use of YAFFS?

+1 on file systems, I'd imagine/hope chip wear levelling was present, is YAFFS not just the android default?

The whole key combination to get into recovery seems to be universal across all Tegra boards currently out there. I've had a go at doing full flashes of the nVidia development ROM and firmware from other Tegra based devices (all obviously failing) and the recovery key sequence doesn't change. I also had a read through the nVidia Harmony development board manual and it's the same sort of principle to get it into recovery (hold recovery for 2's, continue and hold reset for 2 seconds, release and hold recovery for further 2 seconds), and I've come across the key combo's for other devices on my travels, and again, there isn't a drastic difference. When you boot from other system images the buttons are all mapped the same as on the Vega images, so I'd guess the recovery procedure is part of the hard coded cpu micro loader. So I think it's fairly safe to say these things are (short of a catastrophic malfunction) pretty much unbrickable *touch wood*

Feel free to correct or shoot down whatever I've just said. That's just my current take on it :unsure:

Guest emergant
+1 on file systems, I'd imagine/hope chip wear levelling was present, is YAFFS not just the android default?

The whole key combination to get into recovery seems to be universal across all Tegra boards currently out there. I've had a go at doing full flashes of the nVidia development ROM and firmware from other Tegra based devices (all obviously failing) and the recovery key sequence doesn't change. I also had a read through the nVidia Harmony development board manual and it's the same sort of principle to get it into recovery (hold recovery for 2's, continue and hold reset for 2 seconds, release and hold recovery for further 2 seconds), and I've come across the key combo's for other devices on my travels, and again, there isn't a drastic difference. When you boot from other system images the buttons are all mapped the same as on the Vega images, so I'd guess the recovery procedure is part of the hard coded cpu micro loader. So I think it's fairly safe to say these things are (short of a catastrophic malfunction) pretty much unbrickable *touch wood*

Feel free to correct or shoot down whatever I've just said. That's just my current take on it :unsure:

I didnt know yaffs was standard on android. I had thought it was usually ext but i know a lot less android than linux. I thought yaffs was mainly used on raw flash devices where there was no controler doing levelling.

I see what you mean about the keys i'd thought the keys would be mapped differenly dependng on the device. Surely individual buttons arent hard wired to tegra. What about the ac100 laptop I'll have to have a look.

Out of curiosity do you know where the normal android revovery mode keys are normally mapped. Why cant we find them in the vega rom or setup our own. Clockwork would be much better if you could enter it during boot. They arent part of the tegra loader so where are they?

Guest thedicemaster
Wow, it works!

Had to go through some troubles but I managed to extract the apk form the system.img and installed it on my tab...

zTab File manager

too bad the shortcuts on it don't work on the vega.

they use /usbdisk for usb, but the vega mounts it under /mnt/usb/system_usb

Guest danielj58
I didnt know yaffs was standard on android. I had thought it was usually ext but i know a lot less android than linux. I thought yaffs was mainly used on raw flash devices where there was no controler doing levelling.

I see what you mean about the keys i'd thought the keys would be mapped differenly dependng on the device. Surely individual buttons arent hard wired to tegra. What about the ac100 laptop I'll have to have a look.

Out of curiosity do you know where the normal android revovery mode keys are normally mapped. Why cant we find them in the vega rom or setup our own. Clockwork would be much better if you could enter it during boot. They arent part of the tegra loader so where are they?

System and data I'm almost sure are YAFFS by default, I thought yaffs was just a nand optimized filesystem that preserves data integrity.

It would be pretty baffling if they were hard wired onto the tegra board like that, for the AC100 I think you hold the escape key and the f1 key in a similar sequence, but that might be to get into another mode.

I have no idea where the key sequences are stored for booting into different modes. Deep in the bowels of the boot loader I'd imagine, and they aren't the easiest of things to pop the lid on and take a sneak peak. I'm not actually sure how the Tegra works though, I think booting it into nvflash mode is hardwired in and unchangeable.

I've just remembered also, when I flashed the nVidia dev ROM, when it loads you get presented with device boot options, you get 5 seconds to boot into a certain mode (I forget, it was a week or so ago when I did it, and I was in a bit of a panic as I couldn't get the thing back into nvflash), then when that timer expires your presented with 2 icons, one is the android logo to cold boot into linux, and the other is a USB icon :unsure:. USB host mode is active, but my keyboard had no affect on it (though it was all lit up and working, just the tablet just didn't seem to be listening).

So for anyone who wants to explore the possibility of booting from USB, there would be your start. For reference, cold booting linux started, and then gave up half way through, I couldn't get any logs because it was in host mode B)

Guest emergant
System and data I'm almost sure are YAFFS by default, I thought yaffs was just a nand optimized filesystem that preserves data integrity.

It would be pretty baffling if they were hard wired onto the tegra board like that, for the AC100 I think you hold the escape key and the f1 key in a similar sequence, but that might be to get into another mode.

I have no idea where the key sequences are stored for booting into different modes. Deep in the bowels of the boot loader I'd imagine, and they aren't the easiest of things to pop the lid on and take a sneak peak. I'm not actually sure how the Tegra works though, I think booting it into nvflash mode is hardwired in and unchangeable.

I've just remembered also, when I flashed the nVidia dev ROM, when it loads you get presented with device boot options, you get 5 seconds to boot into a certain mode (I forget, it was a week or so ago when I did it, and I was in a bit of a panic as I couldn't get the thing back into nvflash), then when that timer expires your presented with 2 icons, one is the android logo to cold boot into linux, and the other is a USB icon :unsure:. USB host mode is active, but my keyboard had no affect on it (though it was all lit up and working, just the tablet just didn't seem to be listening).

So for anyone who wants to explore the possibility of booting from USB, there would be your start. For reference, cold booting linux started, and then gave up half way through, I couldn't get any logs because it was in host mode B)

No i cant quite get my head around how the bootloaders work in detail and theres little documentation on the nvidia proprietary bootloader. If you flashed a different nvidia bootlader with more options that would be very nteresting. I'm not sure I'm brave enough but I'd be interested which bootloader you used and how you flashed it. I guess theres little point if the interfwce is wrong.

As for yaffs, its my understanding that it does wear levelling but thats little use on an sdcard type nterface which emulates an hd. I'm not certain what type of flash we have though

Guest danielj58
As for yaffs, its my understanding that it does wear levelling but thats little use on an sdcard type nterface which emulates an hd. I'm not certain what type of flash we have though

Cool :unsure: I just assumed it was for embedded solutions where power failure may be common B)

I'll take a look at the Vega tear down thread and see if I can look any serial numbers up to shed some light :angry:

No i cant quite get my head around how the bootloaders work in detail and theres little documentation on the nvidia proprietary bootloader. If you flashed a different nvidia bootlader with more options that would be very nteresting. I'm not sure I'm brave enough but I'd be interested which bootloader you used and how you flashed it. I guess theres little point if the interfwce is wrong.

If you go to the nvidia tegra developers zone, you can download the latest android 2.2 image, and you can install it either by using the included .bat scripts, or do what I did and copy over the image files into the extracted Vega file and flash from there :o As I've said, the nvflash seems to be hard coded in, as I've managed to flash back again (I even flashed the Big Ideas ROM, which doesn't initialize the LCD backlight, making it quite difficult to figure out whether it was on or off :D)

I don't understand why it didn't respond to keyboard input though. It hadn't gone into a loop, because I could still see the thing ticking away and flashing the selection box. Either way, it looks like USB booting might be easier than we thought, we just need some hard core devs who know what they're doing! :D

Guest emergant
If you go to the nvidia tegra developers zone, you can download the latest android 2.2 image, and you can install it either by using the included .bat scripts, or do what I did and copy over the image files into the extracted Vega file and flash from there :unsure: As I've said, the nvflash seems to be hard coded in, as I've managed to flash back again (I even flashed the Big Ideas ROM, which doesn't initialize the LCD backlight, making it quite difficult to figure out whether it was on or off :angry:)

I don't understand why it didn't respond to keyboard input though. It hadn't gone into a loop, because I could still see the thing ticking away and flashing the selection box. Either way, it looks like USB booting might be easier than we thought, we just need some hard core devs who know what they're doing! :o

Okay, you extraced the tegra vega rom zip file and replaced the .img files with those from the tegra developer site did that include the boot image? I didnt think the nvidia kernel would boot? I thought Paul had tried to build a kernel from thse sources? Possibly you both had the same problem

Did you replace the bootloader file with the nvidia one? What about the .bct file. If so, youre a braver man than me B)

When you said you couldnt select things in the bootloader menu with a usb keyboard, did you test the vegas hardware buttons, volume etc?

Great post by the way

Thanks

Guest danielj58
Okay, you extraced the tegra vega rom zip file and replaced the .img files with those from the tegra developer site did that include the boot image? I didnt think the nvidia kernel would boot? I thought Paul had tried to build a kernel from thse sources? Possibly you both had the same problem

Did you replace the bootloader file with the nvidia one? What about the .bct file. If so, youre a braver man than me :unsure:

When you said you couldnt select things in the bootloader menu with a usb keyboard, did you test the vegas hardware buttons, volume etc?

Great post by the way

Thanks

The kernel didn't boot, it just looped around on a blank screen. And yep, I replaced everything (stupid more than brave B))

Yea I tried all the buttons on the Vega too, I even prodded at the screen in the vane hope that some crafty pixies had managed to load a touch screen driver, but alas, nothing :o

When I get round to it I might try and see if I can use the stock vega boot.img with the nvidia boot loader.

The nvidia tegra dev system.img works like a charm btw. Just has no wifi and a mouse cursor in the shape of an X slap bang in the middle of the screen. But it truly flies along :angry:

Guest emergant

I recently accidentally flashed the boot.img from TnT but I then couldn't boot. I really thought I'd bricked it (and NVFlash is then only way to bork a Vega) but eventually, with some help from the XDA guys, I found a key combination that gave me APX connectivity - phew (I'll document that next time I do it B)).

I think I've just done something similar. I flashed the gtab bootloader. Wanted to know if this would allow me to get into clockworkmod as part of the boot sequence. The result is that it either doesnt power up at all, or the display is off. Not sure which. Can you remember how you got back into recovery mode. I'm not panicking. Yet :unsure:

Guest jellywobbles
Wow, it works!

zTab File manager

Hi .. is your "extraction" the same as the one HERE as shown in the post below:-

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...updates-guides/

Cheers

EDIT: Yes I am sure it is the same one B) Nice one again mate :unsure:

Edited by jellywobbles

Guest emergant
I think I've just done something similar. I flashed the gtab bootloader. Wanted to know if this would allow me to get into clockworkmod as part of the boot sequence. The result is that it either doesnt power up at all, or the display is off. Not sure which. Can you remember how you got back into recovery mode. I'm not panicking. Yet :unsure:

Okay, I'm back. And I didn't even panic. Much B)

Anyway the upshot is that the gtab bootloader isnt a drop in replacement. It maybe useable with other changs to the rom but I have my doubts.

The nvidia stock fastboot loader starts to boot as previous described but isnt useful as a drop in replacement either. I havent compared the partition tables perhaps theyre laid out differently

• 4 weeks later...