Remove Clockwork mod AS IT IS DANGEROUS !

Guest wilx01

I tried to recreate this black screen problem after doing a nandroid restore and managed to recreate it.

The two times I've had it, I wasn't restoring - just booting. I have it on my Advent now and I'm spending time going into/outof power off...

Happened again. Had it plugged in and charging over midnight, just powered down and rebooted. BSOD... Not connected to the PC at all. Powered down whilst charging... This is the same as the last time I had a problem (powered over midnight and then try to reboot when charging). The unit was working fine 10 seconds before I rebooted...

Full reflash in the morning then :(

Edited by arad85

Guest simonta
Not quite sure what you mean by it, surely the one in the nandroid backup contains the clockwork mod.... I am trying to remove it? Where do I get the lvds.bat from?

Cheers

If you browse to the nadroid backup on your sdcard, you'll see that each partition is separately backed up. Boot and recovery are separate to system. System.img does not have clockworkmod in it.

Unzip the Vega flash, replace system.img with the one from your backup then run lvds.bat. This will carry out a full flash, just like the stock ROM, but with the app, settings, drivers etc from your backup. I've tested this without cwm installed and it worked fine. Can see no reason why I wouldn't work for a cwm install. Net result should be that you get your system restored with the stock boot and recovery flashed back - thus removing cwm.

Please note that the worst case result is that you will end up having to do a complete rebuild anway. Run your backups before doing this :(

Would you or Sir Gash please post back with a result so others who want to remove clockwork without having to do a complete rebuild may benefit?

Cheers

Edited by simonta

If you browse to the nadroid backup on your sdcard, you'll see that each partition is separately backed up. Boot and recovery are separate to system. System.img does not have clockworkmod in it.

Unzip the Vega flash, replace system.img with the one from your backup then run lvds.bat. This will carry out a full flash, just like the stock ROM, but with the app, settings, drivers etc from your backup. I've tested this without cwm installed and it worked fine. Can see no reason why I wouldn't work for a cwm install. Net result should be that you get your system restored with the stock boot and recovery flashed back - thus removing cwm.

Please note that the worst case result is that you will end up having to do a complete rebuild anway. Run your backups before doing this :(

Would you or Sir Gash please post back with a result so others who want to remove clockwork without having to do a complete rebuild may benefit?

Cheers

Thanks for that. Sorry I won't be able to report back as I have had to do a fresh re install in the meantime to get back up and running. I will not be putting the clockwork mod back on at this point until it has been reported as stable. I will however be monitoring to see if others have success with your method,a nd if they do, I may risk installing, doing a backup and then removing using the method you mention. I am worried tho that my last nandroid backup would not boot, but have now seen I may of had to clear the cache and the settings first in the recovery program before putting the recovery back

Edited by wilx01

Guest battletank

Okay, based on what has been said so far, as I understand it, the dangerous aspect is specifically around losing data, the irony being that CWM offers the best solution for restoring in these circumstances. Presumably, however, there is a genuine and real of bricking the Vega in a specific set of circumstances: if the BSOD happens while rebooting the Vega to USB-Host mode, presumably you won't be possible to communicate with the Vega in order to re-install the system image.

For what it's worth, with a bit of experimentation I've now had my first BSOD after maybe 100 reboots since installing CWM. A pain, particularly as I don't have easy access to a Windows PC, but definitely not the end of the world.

Guest emergant
Okay, based on what has been said so far, as I understand it, the dangerous aspect is specifically around losing data, the irony being that CWM offers the best solution for restoring in these circumstances. Presumably, however, there is a genuine and real of bricking the Vega in a specific set of circumstances: if the BSOD happens while rebooting the Vega to USB-Host mode, presumably you won't be possible to communicate with the Vega in order to re-install the system image.

For what it's worth, with a bit of experimentation I've now had my first BSOD after maybe 100 reboots since installing CWM. A pain, particularly as I don't have easy access to a Windows PC, but definitely not the end of the world.

I dont believe you can truly brick the device using cwm or usb host mode. The nvidia recovery mode used by the advent rom comes up before the linux kernel loads. Nothing you can do from within android is likely to affect the nvidia recovery mode.

Guest battletank
I dont believe you can truly brick the device using cwm or usb host mode. The nvidia recovery mode used by the advent rom comes up before the linux kernel loads. Nothing you can do from within android is likely to affect the nvidia recovery mode.

I'm glad you've said that, because right now I'm struggling to have this PC detect recovery mode.

Guest emergant
I'm glad you've said that, because right now I'm struggling to have this PC detect recovery mode.

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll get it in the end though :unsure:

My best advice other than making sure its not a windows driver problem is to hold down the power button for about ten secs to ensure it is powerred down prior to trying to get nvidia recovery mode. And take heart from the fact that several others have been in the same boat and recoverred

Guest Dayzee

I haven't put clockwork back on after I tried it and BSOD'd simply trying to boot to recovery. For me, adb is working perfectly and I'm far more comfortable doing everything via adb. As far as backing up is concerned, I think Nandroids can be clunky, as they do indeed restore a whole picture of the ROM as is, warts and all, and can be sluggish on restore. I prefer to use Titanium Backup Pro which is the most amazing piece of kit. With that I can even leave out apps causing previous probs, or just restore data etc. Far more efficient than Nandroid for my needs.

I'm happier now I have successfully been able to get into the NVidia Flash mode a couple of times and successfully flashed stock ROMS. As for MCR, I prefer to do it via adb and the windows-install.bat as i'm not happy with Bootstrap recoveries.

I do wish the reBoot to Recovery .apk had a Do You Wish to Boot To Recovery? Yes or No Screen, instead of just going straight to rebooting to recovery on one tap - its easy to accidentally register a tap with the Vega's often wibbly screen, and with me, thats all it took to reboot me into BSOD

Dayz xx

Guest battletank
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll get it in the end though :unsure:

My best advice other than making sure its not a windows driver problem is to hold down the power button for about ten secs to ensure it is powerred down prior to trying to get nvidia recovery mode. And take heart from the fact that several others have been in the same boat and recoverred

Indeed - got there in the end. My own finding was that the generally given instruction to envoke recovery mode by holding back / power + back / back for two seconds each was inaccurate, and in fact the timing is around a second for each action.

It's clear that cwm isn't exactly dangerous, but as it can't be invoked without an operational rom installed, its value is limited. As it also appears to cause an instability, its value is even further degraded. Certainly, I'd be disappointed if Paul chose to release future ROMs in a format that required cwm, at least in its current form.

I'll continue to experiment.

Guest emergant
Indeed - got there in the end. My own finding was that the generally given instruction to envoke recovery mode by holding back / power + back / back for two seconds each was inaccurate, and in fact the timing is around a second for each action.

It's clear that cwm isn't exactly dangerous, but as it can't be invoked without an operational rom installed, its value is limited. As it also appears to cause an instability, its value is even further degraded. Certainly, I'd be disappointed if Paul chose to release future ROMs in a format that required cwm, at least in its current form.

I'll continue to experiment.

Had a similar problem this afternoon after messing with caches in the recovery menus. Had difficulty enterring nvidia recovery mode as others have described. Eventually what seemd to do the trick was to remove both usb and power cables after powerring down then plug them back in. Then got recovery mode without trouble. I wonder if perhaps it hadnt registered those connections correctly? Or maybe it was just luck. Be interesting to hear if it works for others.

Ultimately its not dangerous but it is a PITA :unsure:

Guest mattlokes
Had a similar problem this afternoon after messing with caches in the recovery menus. Had difficulty enterring nvidia recovery mode as others have described. Eventually what seemd to do the trick was to remove both usb and power cables after powerring down then plug them back in. Then got recovery mode without trouble. I wonder if perhaps it hadnt registered those connections correctly? Or maybe it was just luck. Be interesting to hear if it works for others.

Ultimately its not dangerous but it is a PITA :unsure:

Removing the usb and power after powering down, then plugging back in just before trying to get into recovery mode works for me, pretty much works everytime this way B)

Matt

Edited by mattlokes

Guest rpmccormick

This technique always works for me:

1. Power off device (hold power for 2 seconds then click power-off, or hold power for 7+ seconds until the screen goes off)

2. Plug in POWER and USB cable to pc.

3. Hold Back.

4. Press power for 1-2 seconds, then release (while still holding Back).

5. Keep holding Back until your PC makes the USB connection noise.

NOTE: Often the screen will not come on at all, but your PC will connect. If it does not...

1. Press/hold power until you can get the screen to come on (skip if screen is already on).

2. Hold power for 7+ seconds until the screen turns off.

3. Wait 2 seconds, then hold Back and Press power for 1-2 seconds again (keep holding back until your PC connects).

That should work every time for every one (I think).