sat nav

Guest ASHYC

• 2 weeks later...
tried copilot and igo both worked, igo was a little slow, went back to my tt though.

Is there an ap for sat nav where you don't need to have a data package? I would like a Google Map type ap that is stored in the phone and i can use to find my way around

• 4 weeks later...
Is there an ap for sat nav where you don't need to have a data package? I would like a Google Map type ap that is stored in the phone and i can use to find my way around

NDrive, CoPilot and IGO all store maps on the SD card. NDrive and CoPilot are on the android market.

Unfortunately Google needs a data connection. There might be an addon to download data as cache for a small area but I am not certain, it might be still a pipedream.

Personally I would go with IGO or Copilot.

NDrive is alright but when I last checked it there wasn't an option to turn off routes using motorways which was something that I needed.

Hopefully Tomtom will make an appearance on Android at somepoint but who knows.

tried copilot and igo both worked, igo was a little slow, went back to my tt though.

I also prefer Tomtom, and am of the understanding that it is not available for Android phones.

so when you say you went back to it, I wonder what you went back to ?

currently I prefer Copilot Live 8 on my Sanfran.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Makkaxxxxx9

UK version of Ndrive does the job for offline navigation for me. It's not as intuitive as Tomtom etc but it is very cheap (about £8) and works fine. Comes with free speedcam updates too.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest McrRed

Agree with the posts though not tried Igo, Navigon, NDrive etc.

Copilot is surprisingly good. Similar quality in experience to the older tomtoms (though it is a different interface - that takes 5 minutes to get used to).

I love Google Navigation (particularly with the satellite overlays) but you do need a data plan to go with it ideally - and I miss seeing time, ETA and speed from the display. Someone said you can download your route with wifi to be cached and as long as you stick to it the maps work?

The great thing about phone/Bladed/SanFran satellite navigation that makes it worthwhile for me is that you don't need to carry another device around. you already have your satnav in your pocket. :D

Guest piperboy

I used the google navigation for a trip a week ago. Set the route up at home using my wifi connection then turned off the data connections whilst on the road. If you do come off the route for any reason, it will not recalculate the route for you. You have to switch on the data connection (3G) to get a recalculated route. Not the best thing to do whilst driving a car....