Partition layout change

Guest rjm2k

The new cache relocation script should work in all the zte 2.2 based custom roms here. It loads /cache as a ramdrive now, so it also speeds up app install & saves a little more room on /data. I found a standard post boot init script to edit that is the same on all the zte froyo roms. I've not tested it on decrossed, but it should work, i can't see any reason it wouldn't, i had a look & the same script that i updated is in decrossed too, i've tested it on flb-froyo r8a-slim, japanese jellyfish 9 & modaco froyo r12.

I've not tested CM7, so I'm not sure if that CM script actually works. I tried a slightly modified version of the script from CM7 (just changed the directory name) on flb-froyo & it did nothing at all, it's all in an IF statement & I'm not sure the condition was met, maybe the cache partition isn't small enough to trigger it. I'll test CM7 later tonight.

Edited by wbaw

Another little piece of the puzzle ... If you download AFV - Android File Verifier free from the market, it'll check nandroid.md5 files that I've included in the /image folders for my repartitioning tpt install. So we can verify the file integrity properly before doing a tpt flash now.

no, i've not heard of that, eAlex, we're hex editing the tpt install files.

dougal, there is one more missing piece in the jigsaw, my updater script doesn't work in clockwork3 ... so if you're installing any other rom you'll need to do it with the included clockwork2, until somebody fixes it.

Guest Celtic67

Did anyone make a tool to edit the partition table in those files? I'm just hex editing them just now to create my own partition layout, but think it should be fairly easy, if I can find time to do it.

Did anyone make a tool to edit the partition table in those files? I'm just hex editing them just now to create my own partition layout, but think it should be fairly easy, if I can find time to do it.

Not yet Celtic, everyone else has been hexediting too. Tom G got halfway there & had an app that would read the partition table, but i think he gave up on it. An android app to do it would be good. Especially if you could take it a bit further & do almost the full process. It should verify the tpt files, nandroid backup, hexedit the partition layout (automatically picking the right size for system), flash recovery image to boot & reboot.

Guest isambard
Not yet Celtic, everyone else has been hexediting too. Tom G got halfway there & had an app that would read the partition table, but i think he gave up on it. An android app to do it would be good. Especially if you could take it a bit further & do almost the full process. It should verify the tpt files, nandroid backup, hexedit the partition layout (automatically picking the right size for system), flash recovery image to boot & reboot.

I plan to integrate the partition editing function into my app (see thread on the build.prop editor).

I plan to integrate the partition editing function into my app (see thread on the build.prop editor).

Fantastic. It'd be a lot better having an app for that than hex editing binaries manually.

The recovery program part complicates it a bit, because none of the current ones will work with every update zip. Hopefully seb will update amon-ra so that it can install CM7 (as well as every other rom). It's not too much of a problem if your app can do a nandroid backup & put it in a directory where the recovery program will find it.

I know exactly how I'd want it to work, I just haven't written any android apps yet. So let me know if you want me to test it out & offer some suggestions to improve it (unless you get it perfect first time of course).

Edited by wbaw

Guest isambard
Fantastic. It'd be a lot better having an app for that than hex editing binaries manually.

The recovery program part complicates it a bit, because none of the current ones will work with every update zip. Hopefully seb will update amon-ra so that it can install CM7 (as well as every other rom). It's not too much of a problem if your app can do a nandroid backup & put it in a directory where the recovery program will find it.

I know exactly how I'd want it to work, I just haven't written any android apps yet. So let me know if you want me to test it out & offer some suggestions to improve it (unless you get it perfect first time of course).

yes. that would be great. will send you a pm.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest BurgerZ

Hi everybody. I have a chinese version of Blade (Belarussian operator Velcom). It has only 256Mb of RAM (gen2).

How can I change the partition layout without bricking my phone? The first attempt was unsuccessfull (brick), then I debricked my blade. And now I'm confused how to change awefull layout (220 system, 162.5 data & 37.5 cache)....

# cat /proc/iomem

02500000-025fffff : ram_console

02600000-0fffffff : System RAM

02632000-02ce2fff : Kernel text

02d0e000-02e2bc2f : Kernel data

9c004300-9c0043ff : smc91x.0

a0000000-a001ffff : kgsl_reg_memory

a0000000-a001ffff : kgsl

a0200000-a0200fff : msm_serial_hs.0

a0400000-a0400fff : msm_sdcc.1

a0500000-a0500fff : msm_sdcc.2

a0800000-a08003ff : msm_hsusb