210 replies to this topic

kallt_kaffe

kallt_kaffe

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 + 10 + Asus Fonepad

Surely it can be fixed with a bind-mount in the init file?

Yes, I was thinking along these lines myself today. You make the cache partition 1Mb or so (you propably need to have one to make sure Clockwork doesn't go mayhem when it tries to wipe it.

Then instead of mounting the cache in init.rc we would just do some linking magic to make /cache point to, for example /data/relocated_cache

Blog - App

Krinyo

Krinyo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Yes, I was thinking along these lines myself today. You make the cache partition 1Mb or so (you propably need to have one to make sure Clockwork doesn't go mayhem when it tries to wipe it.

Then instead of mounting the cache in init.rc we would just do some linking magic to make /cache point to, for example /data/relocated_cache

Good idea! +1

I love the more space on my phone. :unsure:

oh!dougal

oh!dougal

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Devices:DX2 FroYo San Francisco
Cross-posted from the Volcano thread ...

It is very important that the phone-software-image downloads without ANY errors.
Hence two recommendations --

-- md5 checksums MUST be posted for all such full-phone-images

and

-- if you don't know how to check an md5, then, really, this is not suitable for you, at this point.

Experienced uploaders will be aware of the need to check that their upload, as published, matches their original!

rjm2k

rjm2k

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
Finally got round to this and it worked fine, I used the original hungarian update with Toms resize image over the top, I had done a clockwork backup before so I copied the system.img, boot.img, recovery.img and userdata.img over the image directory too, this way when I installed the flash everything was up and running alread with no need to restore anything.

ps just in case this hasn't been spotted already it seems that oemsbl.mbn is the flasher, it contains the text "update from t-flashcard!" which is what's displayed when you run the update.

Edited by rjm2k, 04 January 2011 - 12:59 PM.

rickywyatt

rickywyatt

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • Interests:Android
    Rom Modding &
    MoDaCo moderator
  • Devices:OneX Samsung S3 LTE Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@rickywyatt1982
heres the partition.mbn partition_zte.mbn from the zte racer dont use it untill tom g has alook at it

Attached Files

Remember to read the fourm rules<br /><br />Maker of the AIO tool for Orange San Diego here<br />and the maker of the Motorola Razr I AIO tools here

Krinyo

Krinyo

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Finally got round to this and it worked fine, I used the original hungarian update with Toms resize image over the top, I had done a clockwork backup before so I copied the system.img, boot.img, recovery.img and userdata.img over the image directory too, this way when I installed the flash everything was up and running alread with no need to restore anything.

Good to know this works. I'll make a "one-click" backup from my system. :unsure:

Arr Too

Arr Too

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

heres the partition.mbn partition_zte.mbn from the zte racer

Is there a complete update.zip that works in the same way on the ZTE Racer? That's only got 256MB, hasn't it? So there's a possibility it might give some clues as to where the RAM layout is specified.

rjm2k

rjm2k

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Tom G

Tom G

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Devices:2X Blade U8220 V9 Vega X10

ps just in case this hasn't been spotted already it seems that oemsbl.mbn is the flasher, it contains the text "update from t-flashcard!" which is what's displayed when you run the update.

Thats good to know. I hadn't tried to find what did the flashing yet (other than appsboot.mbn clearly doing the fastboot flashing).

I have an idea how to dump the modem partitions off a device, but it will need a modified appsboot.mbn. I'm not sure its a good idea. It should mean the entire nand can be dumped, and then the correct offset for all partitions can be found and fixed in appsboot.mbn, but if there are any other changes to appsboot.mbn on other devices it could break things.

Tom G

Tom G

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

There's some docs here about this stuff...

http://wenku.baidu.c...768e9939a6.html

http://wenku.baidu.c...62caaed586.html

This looks interesting. If anyone can get hold of these document I would like to look at them (they want money).

rickywyatt

rickywyatt

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
    Rom Modding &
    MoDaCo moderator

This looks interesting. If anyone can get hold of these document I would like to look at them (they want money).

tom g could you have a look at the zte racer partition up above this

Remember to read the fourm rules<br /><br />Maker of the AIO tool for Orange San Diego here<br />and the maker of the Motorola Razr I AIO tools here

rjm2k

rjm2k

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

I think they want money or for you to upload something, anything, like the user manual for your laptop etc?

samjam

samjam

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

How much money? How useful might they be?

I see $35 - I'll pay $10 paypal to someone, if others will also contribute.

Edited by samjam, 05 January 2011 - 09:31 AM.

kizs

kizs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
And how can I replace filesystem with ext3 on 'system' and 'data' partitions? Can I do this?

Tom G

Tom G

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

tom g could you have a look at the zte racer partition up above this

And what do you want me to tell you about it. Those files alone are useless. You need the appsboot.mbn if you want to play with partitions. It does appear to be in the same format as the blade files. I would not recommend using the blade appsboot.mbn on the racer, you might end up with a brick. If you don't have a full update for the racer you probably can't do much.

I think they want money or for you to upload something, anything, like the user manual for your laptop etc?

I think they check the uploads so you can't just give them garbage. I signed up, it takes 5 uploads to activate an account (or $35USD). They want code examples or other programming materials.

The documents will not directly relate to the hardware we have so may not be hugely useful, but they would hopefully help with understand the platform a bit better. It looks like they are for an old windows based EV-DO platform (the documents rjm2k posted are from the same set).

rickywyatt

rickywyatt

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
    Rom Modding &
    MoDaCo moderator

And what do you want me to tell you about it. Those files alone are useless. You need the appsboot.mbn if you want to play with partitions. It does appear to be in the same format as the blade files. I would not recommend using the blade appsboot.mbn on the racer, you might end up with a brick. If you don't have a full update for the racer you probably can't do much.
I think they check the uploads so you can't just give them garbage. I signed up, it takes 5 uploads to activate an account (or $35USD). They want code examples or other programming materials.

The documents will not directly relate to the hardware we have so may not be hugely useful, but they would hopefully help with understand the platform a bit better. It looks like they are for an old windows based EV-DO platform (the documents rjm2k posted are from the same set).

what i whated to no is could we have a parition table like the zte racer?

oh!dougal

oh!dougal

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

What is the best approach for cache? I know users have had problems with it filling up, but I thought most roms use /data for cache to avoid that problem. So is it better for increase cache, or reduce it to 5-10MB and move the additional space into userdata?

In Android System Info, from the System tab under 'Memory', it mentions "Download Cache" (at 41.23MB) before Data ("Max 288MB" for my repartitioned 128mb system phone.)

Hence, I've been wondering (as one might) if /cache is actually used for somehow caching downloads ...

This would seem to be confirmed by a couple of posts (on the thread about Seb's latest Chinese-based rom) relating to the difficulty of installing (games ;) ) apk's that are bigger than about 20mb ...
http://android.modac...p...t&p=1564830
... I'd speculate that it might only be being used for apk installation - like downloads from Market (ie not used for ordinary Browser downloads).

If this is the case, then
1/ you don't want to be making it small compared to your maximum apk install size
so I don't think its worth the pain to try and re-partition with a resized /cache
and
2/ maybe a user-side (rather than recovery-side) facility to clear /cache might be useful for people about to do a big download from Market

Edited by oh!dougal, 17 January 2011 - 07:32 PM.

fonix232

fonix232

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade [TFT 512RAM]
  • Twitter:@fonix232

In Android System Info, from the System tab under 'Memory', it mentions "Download Cache" (at 41.23MB) before Data ("Max 288MB" for my repartitioned 128mb system phone.)

Hence, I've been wondering (as one might) if /cache is actually used for somehow caching downloads ...

This would seem to be confirmed by a couple of posts (on the thread about Seb's latest Chinese-based rom) relating to the difficulty of installing (games ;) ) apk's that are bigger than about 20mb ...
http://android.modac...p...t&p=1564830
... I'd speculate that it might only be being used for apk installation - like downloads from Market (ie not used for ordinary Browser downloads).

If this is the case, then
1/ you don't want to be making it small compared to your maximum apk install size
so I don't think its worth the pain to try and re-partition with a resized /cache
and
2/ maybe a user-side (rather than recovery-side) facility to clear /cache might be useful for people about to do a big download from Market

Nope, actual apk's are stored in /data/tmp/ when installing (adb) or directly copied to data (market). Download goes to the SD card itself (failed downloads from market appears as /sdcard/downloads/download-[N].tmp where [N] is a number) then installed and deleted. Cache is usually used for OTA updates (HTC legacy: all OTA are downloaded to cache then phone reboots to recovery, and installs update, then restarts).

If you like my work, invite me for a drink or two!

Also, take a look at my Blade-dedicated site too! fonix232.co.cc

oh!dougal

oh!dougal

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Nope, actual apk's are stored in /data/tmp/ when installing (adb) or directly copied to data (market). Download goes to the SD card itself (failed downloads from market appears as /sdcard/downloads/download-[N].tmp where [N] is a number) then installed and deleted. Cache is usually used for OTA updates (HTC legacy: all OTA are downloaded to cache then phone reboots to recovery, and installs update, then restarts).

But why does the free space in the ("42mb") 'download cache' as viewed from Android System Info change after each download I have made from Market?
Perhaps, for reasons best known to ZTE, apk's are moved through /cache?
And the change was without doing other activity on the phone. Naturally, I haven't been doing OTA upgrades - ZTE are not HTC! ;)

Also note

I installed raging thunder 2 from the chinese rom (22mb) without any problem, then I noticed that the apk is left in the cache directory after install.

Edited by oh!dougal, 17 January 2011 - 10:00 PM.

IronDoc

IronDoc

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Devices:Blade

But why does the free space in the ("42mb") 'download cache' as viewed from Android System Info change after each download I have made from Market?
Perhaps, for reasons best known to ZTE, apk's are moved through /cache?
And the change was without doing other activity on the phone. Naturally, I haven't been doing OTA upgrades - ZTE are not HTC! ;)
Also note

If it is as you suspect, then surely the best way is for ROMs to mount (or symlink, not quite sure how the partition stuff works) inside /data. Then your max download size is the amount of free space (which would be 40MB > currently) and you don't have to keep that space if you don't want to.

Edited by IronDoc, 17 January 2011 - 10:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users