[ROM][Froyo] Volcano mod 0.3 [2011-01-04] [OLED+TFT]

Guest isambard

Guest jt_mcg
Hi first time flasher here, used your 0.1 version.

It was very easy to do and everything seems to be running well so far. I was worried about getting the dreaded blue tint on my TFT model so chose your easy install method and the colors seem fine :unsure:

thx again

Excellent, this is exactly the type of feedback I'm sure everyone interested is hoping for!!

I think the volcano mod is about to erupt!

Guest isambard
Hi first time flasher here, used your 0.1 version.

It was very easy to do and everything seems to be running well so far. I was worried about getting the dreaded blue tint on my TFT model so chose your easy install method and the colors seem fine :unsure:

thx again

you're welcome. although you might want to install v0.2 to get the extra data space!

Guest isambard
im confused, does this rom have any extra perks, if it does what are they, how does it differ to pauls froyo or japjelly?

it's basically the same as seb's ROM but with benefits of:

- hw acceleration on

- java VM heap increased to 32mb

- 80mb of extra internal storage space

Guest jt_mcg
im confused, does this rom have any extra perks, if it does what are they, how does it differ to pauls froyo or japjelly?

A.The install method and partitioning have perks. It's simple and you get more room for apps to put it simply.

B.The rom it's based on is very clean, efficient, functional and the most stable Froyo I've used so I would say that has benefits too.

Guest jt_mcg
it's basically the same as seb's ROM but with benefits of:

- hw acceleration on

- java VM heap increased to 32mb

- 80mb of extra internal storage space

One other thing you may want to do to the base ROM if you haven't is make the changes to framework-res like in JJ RLS3 or 3b that enable native WiFi tethering. I did it on my install and it works perfectly.

Guest isambard
As a side effect - does this also give 256MB (memory) users 512MB (memory) ?

I haven't tested (since I already have 512mb) but it should do. btw, if you want to list it in the table, the specs are as follows - although maybe now you will also need to add a column for "RE-PARTITION" :unsure:

ROM NAME				 BASE ROM   ANDROID  TFT	   ROOT  SCREEN  OVER   HW	A2SD	BLOAT	VM   APN	  KEYBOARD   DEFAULT  TITAINIUM

VERSION  COMPATIBLE	  DENSITY CLOCK  ACCEL		 REMOVED SIZE  LIST	 (HTC IME)  LAUNCHER  BACKUP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stock Orange ROM (05)	Orange	   2.1	OLE		NO	240	 NO	NO	NO	   NO	  24   Stock	Touch Pal  Stock	  NO

Stock Orange ROM  (08)   Orange	   2.1	OLE/TFT	NO	240	 NO	NO	NO	   NO	  24   Stock	Touch Pal  Stock	  NO

Stock Bouygues Telecom   French	   2.1	UNKNOWN	NO	240	 NO	NO	NO	   NO	  24   Stock	Touch Pal  Stock	  NO

MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4   Orange(B05)  2.1	OLE		YES   240	 NO	YES   EXT2*	YES	 24   Stock	Touch Pal  Stock	  YES

Sebastian404's r7		Orange(B08)  2.1	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 NO	YES   NO	   YES	 24   Updated  Stock	  Stock	  NO

BladeVillain 1.1.0	   Hungarian	2.1	UNKNOWN*   YES   240	 NO	YES   EXT2	 YES	 38   Cyanogen HTC IME	LaunchPro  NO*

French Fries RLS4		French	   2.1	UNKNOWN	YES   240	 YES   YES   EXT2/3   YES	 32   CM6	  HTC IME	LaunchPro  NO

Sebastian de-bouyguesed  French	   2.1	UNKNOWN	NO	240	 NO	YES   NO	   YES	 24   Stock	Stock	  Stock	  NO

Hungarian Hedgehog RLS2  Hungarian	2.1	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 YES   NO*   EXT2/3   YES	 32   CM6	  HTC_IME	LaunchPro  NO

Finnish Fillyjonk RLS4   Finnish	  2.1	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 YES   NO*   EXT2/3   YES	 32   CM6	  Gingerbrd* LaunchPro  YES

CustomBladeVillain RSL4  Hungarian	2.1	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 NO	YES   EXT2	 YES	 38   Cyanogen HTC IME	LaunchPro  YES 

Froyo Build, Alpha 1	 Chinese R1   2.2	OLE		YES*  160	 NO	YES   NA	   PARTIAL 48   Stock	Stock	  Stock	  NO

r4b gforums Custom Rom   Chinese R1   2.2	OLE		YES   240	 NO	YES   NA	   YES	 48   Stock	Stock	  Stock	  YES

Stackbladroid v0.1	   Chinese R1   2.2	OLE		YES   240	 YES   YES   NA	   YES	 32   Stock	Stock	  Stock	  ??

MoDaCo Custom Froyo A3   Chinese R4   2.2	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 NO	YES   NA	   YES	 32   Updated  Stock	  Stock	  YES

Frankdroid r1 New Froyo  Chinese R4   2.2	OLE/TFT	NO	240	 NO	YES   NA	   YES	 ??   Stock	Stock	  Stock	  NO

FLB-Froyo G2 (r4a)   	Chinese R4   2.2	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 NO	YES   NA	   YES	 48   Stock	Stock	  Launcher2  NO

de-softened Alpha r0.2   Japanese R15 2.2	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 NO	NO	NA	   YES	 24   Updated  Stock	  Stock	  NO

Japanese Jellyfish RLS3b Japanese R15 2.2	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 YES   YES   EXT2/3   YES	 32   Updated  Gingerbrd  LaunchPro  YES 

volcano r0.2			 Japanese R15 2.2	OLE/TFT	YES   240	 NO	Yes   NA	   YES	 32   Updated  Stock	  Stock	  NO

TFT COMPATABLE : UNKNOWN* means that some users have reported it working, but not confirmed by ROM developer.

Edited by isambard

Guest isambard
One other thing you may want to do to the base ROM if you haven't is make the changes to framework-res like in JJ RLS3 or 3b that enable native WiFi tethering. I did it on my install and it works perfectly.

thanks. i'll see if i can find info on it. i've just also updated my own ROM to link to busybox so might as well include other known fixes.

actually, is there a thread of known issues with fixes? it would be good to have everything in one place...

Guest Gryphonic

With this method, what if something goes wrong? Before, you used clockwork to backup before flashing a new rom... if i understand this method correctly, there isn't that option. Would you have to reload clockwork with fastboot to restore a backup? (and it it possible for this method to break something that isn't backed up by clockwork?)

Edit: Actually, it seems clockwork is installed. Maybe the install guide should add a backup stage?

Edited by Gryphonic

Guest jt_mcg
thanks. i'll see if i can find info on it. i've just also updated my own ROM to link to busybox so might as well include other known fixes.

actually, is there a thread of known issues with fixes? it would be good to have everything in one place...

Credit to Arr Too in the JJ thread, I added

<feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct" />

in /etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml.

I'll have a look at what changed exactly in framework-res.apk, but lazily I flashed frankish's theme for JJ RLS 3 that included kallt_kaffe's framework fix to enable wifi tethering and it worked so I didn't give it much thought after that.

Other than that, I know Sebastian has made some changes for r.03 but he has said nothing grounbreaking.

I haven't looked at your build.prop, and maybe you've said but enabling stagefright http causes problems in youtube hq vids notably and I'm not sure what else. I never enabled it when I edited build.prop but I know others had and had difficulty.

Guest philmein
With this method, what if something goes wrong? Before, you used clockwork to backup before flashing a new rom... if i understand this method correctly, there isn't that option. Would you have to reload clockwork with fastboot to restore a backup?

Edit: Actually, it seems clockwork is installed. Maybe the install guide should add a backup stage?

+1

Guest StevenHarperUK
- although maybe now you will also need to add a column for "RE-PARTITION" :unsure:

I have added it to the table.

However - depending on how TPT picks up - I will update the guide to reflect the changes - maybe on the 2nd ROM that uses TPT.

Guest jt_mcg
With this method, what if something goes wrong? Before, you used clockwork to backup before flashing a new rom... if i understand this method correctly, there isn't that option. Would you have to reload clockwork with fastboot to restore a backup?

I would think you're correct in that you would need to reflash clockwork, or depending on how it went the stock hungarian fix, then clockwork then your backup.

Something to possibly add, and I'll gladly edit this if I'm wrong, but if the partitioning and install go correctly it could also have effects if you decide to flash a different ROM afterward/in the future using the traditional clockwork method if the new ROM is larger than the repartitioned area for system.

edit: you are correct that clockwork is installed in the process

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest StevenHarperUK
I would think you're correct in that you would need to reflash clockwork, or depending on how it went the stock hungarian fix, then clockwork then your backup.

Something to possibly add, and I'll gladly edit this if I'm wrong, but if the partitioning and install go correctly it could also have effects if you decide to flash a different ROM afterward/in the future using the traditional clockwork method.

edit: you are correct that clockwork is installed in the process

That's correct, the system partition has been reduced to 128MB - if your trying to flash a ROM which has a bigger system than 128MB its going to fail.

The only CURRENT way back is to do the TPT Hungarian.

However soon I hope we have a Set of partition_zte.mbn that set the partition to an array of sizes

This post is showing progress http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-layout-change/

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest Victor von Zeppelin

The link seems to be down. Mirror maybe? Preferably on Mediafire.... ( mainly as, very little wait time..or none, as it is.)

Guest StevenHarperUK
The link seems to be down. Mirror maybe? Preferably on Mediafire.... ( mainly as, very little wait time..or none, as it is.)

I see that too : Rapidshare is coming back with

Unassigned file limit of 10 downloads reached.

10 downloads!!!! they must be nuts

Can someone please re-upload (megashare?) - puts it in multi share sites all at once.

Guest oh!dougal
With this method, what if something goes wrong? Before, you used clockwork to backup before flashing a new rom... if i understand this method correctly, there isn't that option. Would you have to reload clockwork with fastboot to restore a backup? (and it it possible for this method to break something that isn't backed up by clockwork?)

I call this install method the Total Phone Transplant -- because it can change everything that we know to be changeable on the phone.

It changes the stuff that loads Android at boot time (which is how the program-storage-space is reallocated), as well as the contents of the usual /system and /data partitions.

And it also overwrites the recovery partition (where Clockwork lives).

So, if the install goes wrong, it probably goes VERY wrong.

To get out of deep do-do (not booting AND Clockwork not working), you need to do another TPT. Either with a new (and md5 checksum-checked) copy of the new image, or to go back to the old ways you'd do a TPT with (for now) the Hungarian update in the /sdcard/image folder.

Loading in that image gets you a Hungarian phone, just like it came out of the box. (Importantly with the partitions set back to standard.)

From there you'd need to re-install Clockwork (and perhaps again network-unlock your phone) before restoring your Nandroid backup.

BUT, if the install goes as it should, then you will have a whole new phone with the one install - including Seb's right-way-up Clockwork. A word of caution though - its probably best NOT to simply restore your old Nandroid into the new partitions (it might not fit -- depends on which rom you were running before). If you go through the Hungarian update and re-install Clockwork, then you can be sure that your old nandroid will fit.

"Predictions are always difficult - especially about the future."

I'm going to predict that there will soon be tools that will make these processes simpler.

And that more roms will take advantage of the TPT technique.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Arr Too
So, if the install goes wrong, it probably goes VERY wrong.

To get out of deep do-do (not booting AND Clockwork not working), you need to do another TPT. Either with a new (and md5 checksum-checked) copy of the new image, or to go back to the old ways you'd do a TPT with (for now) the Hungarian update in the /sdcard/image folder.

The problem here is that this forum is being used by people with many different variants of the Blade. We don't know for sure that the 'safe' (original) update.zip won't actually irrevocably break certain models -- although I think we'd bet a good of deal of money on it breaking the V880. To recover such a phone you're probably going to need an update.zip that is specific to that model, assuming the phone still works in this mode (which I suspect would be quite likely really).

Until we have an update.zip for each model this method cannot really be recommended to everyone without very large and very clear warnings. We know that, so far, the ClockworkMod method is much safer, more universal and more recoverable.

Guest oh!dougal
The problem here is that this forum is being used by people with many different variants of the Blade. We don't know for sure that the 'safe' (original) update.zip won't actually irrevocably break certain models -- although I think we'd bet a good of deal of money on it breaking the V880. To recover such a phone you're probably going to need an update.zip that is specific to that model, assuming the phone still works in this mode (which I suspect would be quite likely really).

Until we have an update.zip for each model this method cannot really be recommended to everyone without very large and very clear warnings. We know that, so far, the ClockworkMod method is much safer, more universal and more recoverable.

Yes, this is for 'mainstream' Blades only at this point.

I wouldn't dream of suggesting this for a V880/003Z.

But, with the exception of the Finnish 5mp (and maybe its compass), it does seem as though all the rest are 'software-compatible' at the system level.

Personally, I'd expect (but not guarantee) that the TPT install would work on the Finnish phone -- but Volcano r2's kernel doesn't work the 5mp camera, so why bother? (And I see no indication that doing a Hungarian-update-restore, followed by the flashing of a 5mp-supporting kernel would not give a working camera. No guarantees though!)

Guest StevenHarperUK

I have added even more warning in the TPT section

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...and-other-roms/

Best to be safe