68 replies to this topic

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

Is there any way to change the colours on the Orange San Francisco in the sms window, its just all black and would be better if they were 2 different colours. sorry its a simple question and i have a feeling the answer is not without installing a rom? which i have no idea how to even begin doing so i wouldnt be able to do it in that case.

Have you tried a "better" SMS App (Handcent?) you will have to turn off the current SMS Apps Notifications - or both will try to popup.

kol0bok

kol0bok

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Referring to the "base address" entry, maybe someone could explain what "the baseband" actually is? Because some of us failed to learn GSM specs in the primary school.

It's hard to understand how things correlate without known terminology, even for a techie. Guessing from what I have read across forum entries it's a MMIO area used for communication between RILs and GSM hardware. And Gen2 RILs changed it to a newer version which is larger and requires to shift subsequent memory areas?

NoKushWave

NoKushWave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:k800i
nvm sorry wrong thread

Edited by NoKushWave, 09 May 2011 - 02:29 PM.

tsddave

tsddave

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Android, Cycling, Bodybuilding and general computing.
  • Devices:Blade + Nook Colour + HD2
Very useful, many thanks.

GGerikP

GGerikP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:ZTE San Francisco
Thank you very much for putting this together. It's very helpful to us noobies. :)

Can I ask you to please also add "BRICK"? For any noob, I think it's important to have a clear understanding of what this implies when working on a phone. I just got my first smart phone (ZTE) and while I know I need to be scared of "bricking" my phone, I don't know if it actually means game over, or if there are (typically) still any options.

Cheers :)

k0zmic

k0zmic

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero & HTC Sensation XE

Thank you very much for putting this together. It's very helpful to us noobies. :)

Can I ask you to please also add "BRICK"? For any noob, I think it's important to have a clear understanding of what this implies when working on a phone. I just got my first smart phone (ZTE) and while I know I need to be scared of "bricking" my phone, I don't know if it actually means game over, or if there are (typically) still any options.

Cheers :)

I'd say a Brick is when there's no sign of life whatsoever, like not even the Back button Red LED light comes on.

A3iaan

A3iaan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:2x Sapo A5, 1 chewed 2 death
Back again after a while and had to do a refreshing-course so came back to the Android Glossary.
Without this I would have to spend many extra hours to get my mind around many of the concepts used.

May I suggest that this Android Glassary becomes part/pinned of/on every phone sub-forum on MoDaCo? Only a few of the concepts are particular to the ZTE Blade, moderators of other phones could then add their specific words.

A big "thank you" for this most helpful guide.

Edited by A3iaan, 23 October 2011 - 01:21 PM.

Laika97

Laika97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade; Nokia 2220
"Each County will have its own stock ROM, some may have multiple. "

Wow. What's the Essex one like? Posted Image Brilliant glossary though, most helpful when starting out.

Edited by Laika97, 26 October 2011 - 08:58 PM.

ontherocks

ontherocks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
As I understand, Gen1 or Gen2 is a hardware attribute, so a Gen1 cannot be converted to Gen2 and vice versa, unless the hardware is changed.........am I right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users