USB Host / Slave switcher - widget

Guest MaxiP

Guest rvdgeer
Ah ha! Thanks for the heads up (I don't use it myself as never switch modes ;))

I'll get this done, possibly today but if not, will be mid next week. Sorry for the delay, got a test release deadline of new my app approaching!

Cheers

Because I like this widget so much, I took the liberty to decompile, modify andrecompile the widget myself.

For personal use...

Here's whatI changed:

• replaced DIX_UK to _slave so it can detect the new usb slave kernel
  • Deleted the smallwidget and changed the default widget size to 1x1 (like most of us I use a launcher that lets me change the widget size)
  • I 'hardcoded' a 50% transparent black background in, so it matches the other widgets on my homescreens
  • I replaced the icons inside with my own icons. I know I can use custom icons, but I liked it more this way ;o)

Because I respect simonta's work I won't upload it here unless he asks/allows me to...

It's a bit hacky (still has most smallwidget parts inside) so it might just be better to wait for simontas new version...

Edited by rvdgeer

Guest simonta
Because I like this widget so much, I took the liberty to decompile, modify andrecompile the widget myself.

For personal use...

Here's whatI changed:

• replaced DIX_UK to _slave so it can detect the new usb slave kernel
  • Deleted the smallwidget and changed the default widget size to 1x1 (like most of us I use a launcher that lets me change the widget size)
  • I 'hardcoded' a 50% transparent black background in, so it matches the other widgets on my homescreens
  • I replaced the icons inside with my own icons. I know I can use custom icons, but I liked it more this way ;o)

Because I respect simonta's work I won't upload it here unless he asks/allows me to...

It's a bit hacky (still has most smallwidget parts inside) so it might just be better to wait for simontas new version...

Hi Rvdgeer

No worries, thanks for doing this - despite the fact that I found your post just after I uploaded v1.4 ;)

But sounds like yours is better - please feel free to post.

Cheers

PS. I changed the default icons in 1.4 to those posted by remlap. Thanks remlap!!!

Edited by simonta

Guest trevor432990

Simon I downloaded your new 1.4 widget to my Vega but when I open it using App Manager it says the version is 1.3 and there is no Install option only Uninstall/Upgrade/Launch . Anyway I clicked on Upgrade and it said it would 'Replace Application' then asked do you want to install this application and answer yes but it just comes back 'Application not installed'. Any ideas?

For info i'm on MCK r2 refresh version now

Guest simonta
Simon I downloaded your new 1.4 widget to my Vega but when I open it using App Manager it says the version is 1.3 and there is no Install option only Uninstall/Upgrade/Launch . Anyway I clicked on Upgrade and it said it would 'Replace Application' then asked do you want to install this application and answer yes but it just comes back 'Application not installed'. Any ideas?

Hmmm, no idea. I'll test it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up Trevor. Cheers

Try uninstalling the previous version first as I had the same problem.

Guest rvdgeer

Maybe you forgot to 'up' the version number....

Can you please give an exact changelog on your latest version?

Maybe I can help you in fine tuning the widget, to take some of the work of your shoulders :P

(I'm not a dev and don't know how to create a widget, but like to learn and know how to hack some changes in...)

Guest simonta
Maybe you forgot to 'up' the version number....

Can you please give an exact changelog on your latest version?

Maybe I can help you in fine tuning the widget, to take some of the work of your shoulders :P

(I'm not a dev and don't know how to create a widget, but like to learn and know how to hack some changes in...)

Sure. I can document the code and hand it over if you like. It's about as simple as it gets so could be a good first project. Do you have the Android SDK and Eclipse installed?

Guest trevor432990

Sticking with the MCK r2 software after all now so if you could test out the widget tomorrow for me I'd be grateful as it's currently always showing as HOST even when actually in SLAVE. Cheers :P

Edited by trevor432990

Guest rvdgeer
Sure. I can document the code and hand it over if you like. It's about as simple as it gets so could be a good first project. Do you have the Android SDK and Eclipse installed?

Wow, great!

SDK -> yes, Eclipse -> no (not yet?)

Guest simonta

Simon I might go back from the MCK r2 refresh version to v1.06.5 anyway. Out of interest do you know if it is possible to regress to a previous version without re-flashing the kernel ?[/qoute]

If you flash 1.06.5 you will replace the kernel. The boot.img contains the kernel. MCK r2 is only the kernel. I suggest using MCK r2 with 1.06.5. Haven't tested it myself but the benefits of the new kernel should still be there.

To do this, unzip the 1.06.5 flash update (it's an EXE but just right click and unzip). Replace boot.img with the mck r2 one then run lvds.bat. That will flash 1.06.5 but keep the mck r2 kernel.

Cheers

Guest trevor432990
Try uninstalling the previous version first as I had the same problem.

Thanks for the tip but I tried uninstalling and re-installing but still have same problem.

• 1 month later...
Guest trevor432990

Hi Simon & RVD .... can you advise me if the widget has been upgraded to work with the latest ROM/Kernels yet as some new people are asking for it to be available without having to use the kitchen and personally I'd like it so I can get my widget back? :D

Guest trevor432990
Just one question.

Can I actually damage my Vega if it's in HOST mode and I connect it to my PC?

Thanks.

The consensus was no last time this was raised :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThomasAstor

Can the "Advent_Vega_USB_Mode_v1.4.apk.zip" work without Pauls Rom? [still cannot install the ROM]

I have installed it and my Vega says "host mode". But when I plug a memory stick nothing happens. Or I am looking in the wrong place.

Is the stick supposed to appear on the desktop? Or where am I supposed to look for it?

In kernal it still says DIX.

Thanks

Guest simonta
Can the "Advent_Vega_USB_Mode_v1.4.apk.zip" work without Pauls Rom? [still cannot install the ROM]

I have installed it and my Vega says "host mode". But when I plug a memory stick nothing happens. Or I am looking in the wrong place.

Is the stick supposed to appear on the desktop? Or where am I supposed to look for it?

In kernal it still says DIX.

Thanks

I'm afraid the APK is out of date, and won't work any anything later than mcr6. I've been trying to find a new way of checking which mode the Vega is in using a generic, non ROM dependent way, but without luck so far, mainly due to time pressures.

If you can't install the ROM, please give details. Which OS are you using? Which guide are you following? Which step goes wrong?

Guest ThomasAstor
If you can't install the ROM, please give details. Which OS are you using? Which guide are you following? Which step goes wrong?

I lost the desire to install it as I found a way to get access to the Android Market.

Basically, I open Terminal and double click on the adb-mac. Nothing happens.

Not sure if I have to write anything in Terminal.

Someone told me to type "command" [?] and then the path[?] and then instead of clicking on adb-mac in the r8-vega-update-modacocustomrom-unsigned-1 Folder, drag it to it. As good as martian language to me. :D

My first enquiry to it : http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...the-avent-vega/ post 13

Forgot to mention that I am in debug mode, OSX 10.4. Is the Vega supposed to appear as a drive on my mac, as I have nothing?

I am now hoping to see Honeycomb B)

Thanks

Edited by ThomasAstor