Photo

[GUIDE] Theme editing and related things.

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

sharpie603

sharpie603

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Vibrant

t from Axura? What rom are you currently using?

I think it would be possible. Here is what i would do.

Take original theme file from before you edited it. Decompile. Make xml changes etc. Recompile. Drag and drop images from your edited apk to the newly compiled apk. Drag and drop my black menu files to the newly compiled apk.

The new apk should have all modifications and black menus.

Here is the stock theme. Please help

http://hotfile.com/d...a_2271.zip.html

Phoenix Silver

Phoenix Silver

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade Orange France
  • Twitter:@phoenixbjp
how do you create splash.img ?

Si le corps est mortel, l’âme elle est éternelle.

Ghazkul

Ghazkul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Frankish, first of all, a big thank you for the guide and the wonderful themes that you have done!

Now over to a question, I am trying to add circle mod to one of your JJ themes, DesireSense-JJELLY.zip. The problem I am having is trying to compile the framework-res.apk file right after I decompiled it. I get a lot of errors and nothing is created. I also tried UOTKitchen and uploaded your apk file and all I got was the same errors, here is a log file: http://circle.glx.nl...TEtU0hURi50eHQ=

Any ideas on how to add circle mod to this theme ?

Edited by Ghazkul, 25 January 2011 - 09:37 PM.

sisterchick

sisterchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This is an extraordinarily awesome post! Thank you for all the time, expertise and energy this took. THANK YOU!

I was wondering if I could I trouble you for some technical advice. I am trying to port some of my themes to a CM 6.1 nightly build. I've made the needed xml changes to styles.xml and menu_selector.xml to get the black menus and recompiled with no problems. The theme installs and appears fine but I have FCs all over the place with Settings and CyanogenMod settings. What am I doing wrong? Any idea how to fix? I've tried five times now with no luck....

Again, thank you! I'm a designer and definitely not a dev. Just what I needed! :lol:

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200

This is an extraordinarily awesome post! Thank you for all the time, expertise and energy this took. THANK YOU!

I was wondering if I could I trouble you for some technical advice. I am trying to port some of my themes to a CM 6.1 nightly build. I've made the needed xml changes to styles.xml and menu_selector.xml to get the black menus and recompiled with no problems. The theme installs and appears fine but I have FCs all over the place with Settings and CyanogenMod settings. What am I doing wrong? Any idea how to fix? I've tried five times now with no luck....

Again, thank you! I'm a designer and definitely not a dev. Just what I needed! :lol:

Look up signapk. What you need to do is make sure your modified framework-res.apk and any others are all signed with the same key. Best way of doing this is just to sign your full /system/app/ folder and framework-res.apk with the platform key or test key.

The force closes are 99% being caused by this i think.

sisterchick

sisterchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Look up signapk. What you need to do is make sure your modified framework-res.apk and any others are all signed with the same key. Best way of doing this is just to sign your full /system/app/ folder and framework-res.apk with the platform key or test key.

The force closes are 99% being caused by this i think.

I would have never thought of that. Thank you for such a quick answer and for pointing me in a direction. I was on an express train going nowhere!

sisterchick

sisterchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:lol: Waaaaahhhhh!!! I am still having trouble with my theme. I tried signing and that didn't seem to fix my issues with FC on CM settings. Any other ideas? Below is a link to my latest fail build if that helps. http://dl.dropbox.co...O_307_Test7.zip This is for CM6.1 NB307 D/S.

I am using apktool to build/decompile on Win7 x64. Editpad Pro to make xml changes to styles.xml and menu_selector.xml. I made the xml changes to the stock build, recompiled and then ported the updated drawable-mdpi.

jt_mcg

jt_mcg

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Blade, Nook Color
  • Twitter:@jtmcg_raw
Hi Frankish, I didn't think that you were going to be supporting Seb's de-crossed so I did a GB theme and put it in his thread.

I have a couple of questions for you if you have a chance.

1. I'm seemingly failing at recompiling anything with circle battery mods, and getting far more errors than the normal default translation errors, any tips on that?

2. If I can get that figured out, I'll try to work on porting over some of your other themes if you have no objections, but before I release them into the wild what steps were necessary to make them compatible with clockwork 3.x.x.x? Is it as simple as taking one of the compatible .zips and just replacing framework-res.apk and services.jar?

Thanks a million for your guide and all the themes you've done so far, and I'll do what I can to lighten the demands on you with everything else you have going on!

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Hi Frankish, I didn't think that you were going to be supporting Seb's de-crossed so I did a GB theme and put it in his thread.

I have a couple of questions for you if you have a chance.

1. I'm seemingly failing at recompiling anything with circle battery mods, and getting far more errors than the normal default translation errors, any tips on that?

2. If I can get that figured out, I'll try to work on porting over some of your other themes if you have no objections, but before I release them into the wild what steps were necessary to make them compatible with clockwork 3.x.x.x? Is it as simple as taking one of the compatible .zips and just replacing framework-res.apk and services.jar?

Thanks a million for your guide and all the themes you've done so far, and I'll do what I can to lighten the demands on you with everything else you have going on!

1. If there are images there that are not supposed to be there then you will get lots of errors. My themes are pretty butchered. My procedure for anything Circle Battery related is below.

Take fresh de-crossed framework-res.apk, decompile.
Make necessary changes to .xml.
If adding circle battery mod you need to add all battery images to drawable hdpi before recompile. (Ton of errors if images not there!)
Once recompiled open framework-res.apk and add the rest of your images from old framework.

That is my procedure. Like i said if you;re adding circle battery xml and trying to recompile you will get tons of errors unless every battery image is present. Some themes may still have a rogue stat_sys_battery10.png or something...don't copy this only the correct _10 file.

2. Yeah just use the meta-inf folder from one of my compatible zips or like you say, replace the services and framework in a compatible one.

Get in touch if you need any extra help.

jt_mcg

jt_mcg

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

1. If there are images there that are not supposed to be there then you will get lots of errors. My themes are pretty butchered. My procedure for anything Circle Battery related is below.

Take fresh de-crossed framework-res.apk, decompile.
Make necessary changes to .xml.
If adding circle battery mod you need to add all battery images to drawable hdpi before recompile. (Ton of errors if images not there!)
Once recompiled open framework-res.apk and add the rest of your images from old framework.

That is my procedure. Like i said if you;re adding circle battery xml and trying to recompile you will get tons of errors unless every battery image is present. Some themes may still have a rogue stat_sys_battery10.png or something...don't copy this only the correct _10 file.

2. Yeah just use the meta-inf folder from one of my compatible zips or like you say, replace the services and framework in a compatible one.

Get in touch if you need any extra help.

Thanks for the quick response!

I thought I was pretty careful on the circle battery but maybe not! They're certainly a bit of a pain. What I'm trying now is a stock decrossed apk ran through the uot kitchen with a circle battery and see if that will recompile cleanly with the other text colour xml changes and then add the theme specific images in after.

The one from uot worked when I flashed it so we'll see anyway! Again many thanks for everything.

sisterchick

sisterchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

;) Waaaaahhhhh!!! I am still having trouble with my theme. I tried signing and that didn't seem to fix my issues with FC on CM settings. Any other ideas? Below is a link to my latest fail build if that helps. http://dl.dropbox.co...O_307_Test7.zip This is for CM6.1 NB307 D/S.

I am using apktool to build/decompile on Win7 x64. Editpad Pro to make xml changes to styles.xml and menu_selector.xml. I made the xml changes to the stock build, recompiled and then ported the updated drawable-mdpi.

Frankish - Do you have any other ideas for me? I tried it again, editing just the styles and menu_expanded. Compiled and replaced the meta-inf from stock. Still getting FC, so tried Meta-inf and Android manifest from stock. Still fail. I've tried a second computer too. I also tried v1.3.1 of apktool, but it made a huge rsc file - compiled framework-res was nearly twice the size. I'm outta computers and ideas here. I hate to admit defeat, but I am nearly there.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Thanks for the quick response!

I thought I was pretty careful on the circle battery but maybe not! They're certainly a bit of a pain. What I'm trying now is a stock decrossed apk ran through the uot kitchen with a circle battery and see if that will recompile cleanly with the other text colour xml changes and then add the theme specific images in after.

The one from uot worked when I flashed it so we'll see anyway! Again many thanks for everything.

That one will recompile just fine. I keep 2 clean frameworks for theme porting for each rom. One regular battery the other circle. I got a decent setup for quick porting. Including my own script for signing the .apks afterwards.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Frankish - Do you have any other ideas for me? I tried it again, editing just the styles and menu_expanded. Compiled and replaced the meta-inf from stock. Still getting FC, so tried Meta-inf and Android manifest from stock. Still fail. I've tried a second computer too. I also tried v1.3.1 of apktool, but it made a huge rsc file - compiled framework-res was nearly twice the size. I'm outta computers and ideas here. I hate to admit defeat, but I am nearly there.

I'd love to help but still not sure how or what. As you are using what appears to be another device and rom i can't really test or help much at all.

jt_mcg

jt_mcg

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

That one will recompile just fine. I keep 2 clean frameworks for theme porting for each rom. One regular battery the other circle. I got a decent setup for quick porting. Including my own script for signing the .apks afterwards.

I would have imagined you had a pretty good system set up as quickly as you've pushed out themes for new releases!

I've never used 3/4 of these themes, do most or all of them have black menus now?

I did nothing with regards to signing and it's worked so far. I'm assuming/hoping I don't need to worry about that or will that affect the nandroids like the problems people were having with restoring previously.

Thanks

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

I would have imagined you had a pretty good system set up as quickly as you've pushed out themes for new releases!

I've never used 3/4 of these themes, do most or all of them have black menus now?

I did nothing with regards to signing and it's worked so far. I'm assuming/hoping I don't need to worry about that or will that affect the nandroids like the problems people were having with restoring previously.

Thanks

Yes nandroids will be broken unless you sign them. However it will make no difference unless the rom is signed with the same key. The themes that don't use black menus are,

Desire sense.
Desire slate.
Elegant steel.
Galaxy s.

I think the rest use black menus.

jt_mcg

jt_mcg

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Yes nandroids will be broken unless you sign them. However it will make no difference unless the rom is signed with the same key. The themes that don't use black menus are,

Desire sense.
Desire slate.
Elegant steel.
Galaxy s.

I think the rest use black menus.

Thanks again. It's much appreciated now I just need to ask Sebastian about the key.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Thanks again. It's much appreciated now I just need to ask Sebastian about the key.

It says in first post it's signed with the test key. You need signapk and the 2 testkey files.

jt_mcg

jt_mcg

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

It says in first post it's signed with the test key. You need signapk and the 2 testkey files.

Thanks again! I should open my eyes more.

The test key files are testkey.pk8 and testkey.x509.pem?

Edit:

java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 framework-res.apk framework-res.apk

Is that right, it gave back some feedback about zip file must have at least one entry and doesn't look to have changed.

Do I change it to framework-res.zip to sign and then rename it to.apk?

Edit again: I think I have it...

Or maybe not lol

Edited by jt_mcg, 28 January 2011 - 11:09 PM.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
No there is a modified version that signs apks. Forgot to mention that sorry.

szeraf

szeraf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade

Installed, still gives same message :/

try to install the x86 version of the jdk instead the x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users