[ROMs]AMDZero Omnia 2 (i920) 6.5/6.5.5 Testing

Guest amdzero

Guest amdzero

This is a Test release for i920 VERIZON WIRELESS only Omnia 2 device.

EDIT:

I finally got around to fixing the email issue. Test it and make sure I didn't dork something else up. This is only ultralite+sense for 23569 (winmo 6.5.5)

Download:

Test4 Ultralite+Sense 6.5.5

EDIT:

Okay so after spending a lot of time with this particular rom, I've noticed a few things.

1. Not everyone is going to be happy with what I make.

2. There is always a better way to do it.

Okay so this is a MEGA test, to include 4 roms. 2 Ultralite roms 6.5 and 6.5.5, and 2 Ultralite+Sense roms 6.5 and 6.5.5

I've run the Ultralite+Sense roms and they seem pretty stable. On the 6.5.5 side, there is a slight alignment problem with swype keyboard and totalcommander toolbar. This is a known problem with Windows Mobile 6.5.5, so not much I can do about it.

All these roms come with stock icons, no additional themes by me are included.

They are very basic, and are still considered TEST roms, as I can only test it for so long. If you want to help with testing this project, please list the TYPE of rom you found a bug in your post, or it will be difficult for me to track the problem down.

I have incorporated XDA_UC in all 4 roms (because I got tired of redoing everything after I tested the roms over and over and over...)

which also means that Mortscript (4.2) is installed.

The sense roms have HTC Phonecanvas as the phone dialer, the ultralite roms do not. The ultralite versions are considered stripped to the core, so don't expect this to be usable out of the box. I made it to be functional (and it is) so you can put YOUR custom apps/themes/UIs on the phone with a relatively clean slate.

For reference, 6.5 is COM2, start flag in upper left corner, 6.5.5 is COM5, start flag in lower left corner.

ENJOY!

Download links:

6.5 Ultralite Test 3

6.5.5 Ultralite Test 3

6.5 Ultralite+SenseTest 3

6.5.5 Ultralite+SenseTest 3

KNOWN issues:

flick scrolling for 6.5.5 roms fix: AMDZero_6.5_flick_scrolling.cab

XDA_UC runs every time on reboot: erase xda_uc.mscr from \windows\startup\

6.5.5 ultralite has font issue: still working that one

copy this to \windows\ cour.zip

6.5 ultralite and 6.5.5 ultralite have email open problem: still working this one

File requests:

samsung settings not in rom: Samsung Settings

request for samsung file explorer: Samsung File manager

Voice command (nuance): Nuance

================================================================================

=========

I don't have much experience with cooking 6.5 roms, as I've been working a lot with 23569 (6.5.5) roms for a while. If this test release has no/few problems I'll build a sense rom on top of it.

Please provide feedback for me.

There are no pictures yet, as this is nothing but a STRIPPED down stock rom.

Almost all samsung software components have been removed (not to include drivers obviously).

Nothing has been added except a few minor reg tweaks, and the ability to use the phone call button without widgetsplus. Also I've reduced the pagepool to 12MB in preparation for sense.

It boots to around 362.86ROM/102.63MB RAM Free

Download Link:

here is the samsung orientation service AMDZero_motion_Agent.cab

Here is the HTC Gsensor. HTC Sense doesn't recognize it correctly so you can't us it to calibrate, however the htc sensor dll is in here so u can use "some" HTC apps/games.AMDZero_Test2_HTC_G_Sensor.cab

here is the graphic send button (instead of the Chinese character send button) for HTC messaging-btn_HTCMSG_TD_SEND.zip

(just copy it to your windows directory on your phone)

6.5 Test version 2 (with sense)

6.5 Test version 1

AMDZero_Windows_Mobile_Lockscreen.cab

AMDZero_Testing_Email_Fix.cab

Edited by amdzero

Guest nvrmind

Wow... two hours later and no replies, yet. I for one am glad you are still cooking for us AMD, even after you've seen the light that is Android. I'm flashing right now. I'll let you know if I find any problems.

Thanks

Guest nvrmind

Okay, I've got it loaded and noticed a couple of small things, so far.

Swype is not there... no biggie, just installed from cab.

Omnia Settings is missing. Not sure how to get to some of the settings without that one.

Edited by nvrmind

Guest nvrmind
What are the diff. between 6.5 and 6.5.5?

6.5 has start menu and OK/X on top, 6.5.5 has them on the bottom.

A few other things, as well, but that's the big one.

Guest amdzero
Okay, I've got it loaded and noticed a couple of small things, so far.

Swype is not there... no biggie, just installed from cab.

Omnia Settings is missing. Not sure how to get to some of the settings without that one.

Yes swype was removed as I wanted to make it ultra lite, I'll see if I can put it back in to see how much it takes up.

This is exactly what I need, now could you be a bit more specific on what settings you are looking for? I'd like to keep it out of the rom altogether, but if there are settings that can only be achieved via samsung settings I'll either put it back in, or make shortcuts.

Thanks guys!

Guest Felbdogg

Yesterday I flashed my Omnia i920 finally to AMDZero ZeroSense (DC23) v2.0 (23569)... Now I see this post today of a new ROM for my phone... I just bought the Omnia from Verizon about a month ago and was just wondering if the ROM I flashed to is any better then the one you are making here? Im VERY new to this but I am a Web Designer / Programmer so if there is anything I can do to help Ill try!!!

Guest amdzero
Yesterday I flashed my Omnia i920 finally to AMDZero ZeroSense (DC23) v2.0 (23569)... Now I see this post today of a new ROM for my phone... I just bought the Omnia from Verizon about a month ago and was just wondering if the ROM I flashed to is any better then the one you are making here? Im VERY new to this but I am a Web Designer / Programmer so if there is anything I can do to help Ill try!!!

This one is not better, it is skinny. So how do you like your pizza? Thin Crust or Deep Dish? This rom is considered wafer thin.

I will build on top of this rom once I get enough constructive feedback. So I'd hold off on using this rom if you want to use it for everyday use, unless you want a slimmed down 6.5 PDA/PHONE device.

Guest nvrmind
Yes swype was removed as I wanted to make it ultra lite, I'll see if I can put it back in to see how much it takes up.

This is exactly what I need, now could you be a bit more specific on what settings you are looking for? I'd like to keep it out of the rom altogether, but if there are settings that can only be achieved via samsung settings I'll either put it back in, or make shortcuts.

Thanks guys!

A couple of the settings that come to mind are:

The text size... I hate the monstro default email text size, if there's another way to change it, please let me know. (This one, I don't remember seeing until I got this phone)

The backlight timeout, it used to be in power in other WM phones, but Samsung stuffed it in their homebrew settings app.

The "wake up" button (not sure what it's called). I like to make it so that only the lock button wakes it up, not the end button. (oh, this used to be in the buttons settings, but haven't seen it there on the i920)

Also, do you have a cab for the HTC dialer. I like to use PocketShield Proximity, but it doesn't lock the phone calls, so the HTC dialer works great with it.

Thanks again.

Edited by nvrmind

Guest Felbdogg
This one is not better, it is skinny. So how do you like your pizza? Thin Crust or Deep Dish? This rom is considered wafer thin.

I will build on top of this rom once I get enough constructive feedback. So I'd hold off on using this rom if you want to use it for everyday use, unless you want a slimmed down 6.5 PDA/PHONE device.

Works great faster than what my phone used to be by far but how much RAM should I have? If you go here - http://pocketpccentral.net/verizon_samsung_omnia2.htm - It says I have 512MB Flash ROM / 256MB DDR RAM and with this ROM it shows only 36 ram usually available all the time. also my GPS doesn't seem to work like it used to. doesn't pick up the GPS... It is much much faster so I cant complain but just wondering...

Edited by Felbdogg

Guest amdzero
Works great faster than what my phone used to be by far but how much RAM should I have? If you go here - http://pocketpccentral.net/verizon_samsung_omnia2.htm - It says I have 512MB Flash ROM / 256MB DDR RAM and with this ROM it shows only 36 ram usually available all the time. also my GPS doesn't seem to work like it used to. doesn't pick up the GPS... It is much much faster so I cant complain but just wondering...

The ram/rom thing has been discussed before. The device does not truely have 256 MB. In fact Both Samsung and VZW can't decide how much the device actually has. The one hardware problem this phone has is lack of RAM.

Guest ultralight23

AMDzero,

Stoked to see you cook this up! Been wanting something between zerostock and zerolight (how'd you like those high octanes?). What about taking out one of the alarms and calendars, i mostly use wm's....ummm, are there 2 calendars in there?. I became a memory hog, after trying some Sence ROMs :D and can get my RAM to 102 by taking out the start menu. could you cook in a lighter start menu? I haven't downloaded it yet but shall soon since i just backed up my phone but i suspect widget plus isn't in there (or i'd be using your stock version).

Another to see if you can backlight the wm lockscreen, i'd use it if it could do this then i wouldn't have to install s2u2 or have to use the pin pass.

Bnother is if you can you skin the winmo dialer?

There's actually 4 in there and i apologize for shooting at the hips. I've tried yours, ninja4hire's and steel's ROMs but ended up with your zerolite (awesome ROM btw) and running PointUI and it settles around 85RAM with high 60's by the end of the work day. I was torn between yours and ninja's. I need to hit you up too ninja for flashing your OP7 so much. I've been a lurker for quite some time and this is my first post (sorry) but i feel i should start a new thread with my travels when i got my i920. Alomst got the palmplus but the vw guy convinced me to get this.

You've all made this a great phone.

EDIT: Downloaded and shortly been meesing with it and akready answred 2 of my questions. Liking it so far.

Edited by ultralight23

Guest ultralight23

Yep, can't get GPS to locate (i8000 maybe needed).

Also, can't turn off haptic feedback.

Lovinn this, it's sooo quick now. After i have everything installed my RAM settles at 99 after ten minutes then going on the web and doing other functions sits in around 89.....sa-weet. My storage is at 230.

Is it possible to make the wm keyboard bigger? or at least cab samsung keyboard or swype. Other than the keyboard being small i like it cause less tapping to get to symbols.

Guest xlightwaverx

What exactly did you remove of the Executables from OEMApps. Or did you remove them all? This could be the GPS problem. My "ultralite" version seems to be quite stable so far, but the satellite pickup takes a few minutes.

I believe there is a google server link that may pose us of interest.

I still have a few minor tweaks left to my series of releases.

With that release I will release the directory structures of my kitchen for the general public.

Guest the sandman
Yep, can't get GPS to locate (i8000 maybe needed).

Also, can't turn off haptic feedback.

Lovinn this, it's sooo quick now. After i have everything installed my RAM settles at 99 after ten minutes then going on the web and doing other functions sits in around 89.....sa-weet. My storage is at 230.

Is it possible to make the wm keyboard bigger? or at least cab samsung keyboard or swype. Other than the keyboard being small i like it cause less tapping to get to symbols.

I get a GPS lock on mine with no problem. Did you enable it in the Settings? Start>Settings>Personal>Phone>Services tab>GPS>Location on

Guest amdzero
What exactly did you remove of the Executables from OEMApps. Or did you remove them all? This could be the GPS problem. My "ultralite" version seems to be quite stable so far, but the satellite pickup takes a few minutes.

I believe there is a google server link that may pose us of interest.

I still have a few minor tweaks left to my series of releases.

With that release I will release the directory structures of my kitchen for the general public.

I honestly don't think the i8000 GPS driver add anything for GPS. I didn't include them and I don't plan on it. I get a lock with Garmin in about 30-60 seconds from cold start.

I think I'll add sansung settings back in (yuk) for those who need it. Also I'll put in the backlight winmo lockscreen fix on the next test.

Guest ultralight23
I honestly don't think the i8000 GPS driver add anything for GPS. I didn't include them and I don't plan on it. I get a lock with Garmin in about 30-60 seconds from cold start.

I think I'll add sansung settings back in (yuk) for those who need it. Also I'll put in the backlight winmo lockscreen fix on the next test.

OK, so i only looked in the "Enable GPS" in settings and didn't think of going into personal settings which did the trick and locks in in about 40 secs.

I've been running this rom all day with no bugs so far. Personally i don't think samsung settings is needed, you can d the same with winmo, only thing i see lacking is the backlight settings which can be altered in the registry...

HKCU>Control Panel>Backlight

Planning on trying it out now. Seems pretty straight forward but not sure what ALC mode is but brightness is in there also.

Can you cab up the backlight winmo lockscreen fix? Does this only work on the pin lockscreen? I found a lock.exe which doesn't need the pin thingy but the backlight dims immediately so is hard to read in bright light.

I've also installed fingerboard 2 which has bigger buttons than winmo board.

Guest ultralight23

So iwas was able to go into the registry and adjust my backlight timeout and dim to specific intervals as well as the brightness of the screen. also was able to turn off the haptic feedback.

I've connected to all my email accounts except my exchange server but they are doing server upgrades at the office so i imagine that is the issue with that and will try again on monday.

You can adjust the email text size in the menu/options of an open email.

The screen wakes up when end button and "screen off" button is pressed but not an issue since it stays locked. I'm using a Lock.exe file instead of the pin lock in wm.

GPS is good for me.

I'm using PointUI and MMAppLauncher (Qmenu doesn't have the Today setting) so i don't need alot of the samsung settings. Guess i should say i removed the wm start menu.

Also using fingerboard 2...any other suggestions on a kb? I like swype but sometimes a like to type in words especially in landscape but when swype kicks in it messes with the input.

I've had this installed for a couple of days now and still no major problems found, though i only know superficial items and nothing internal.

My ram has settled to around 82.

My needs are minimal so this is so far this ideal for me.

Things i like to see though are:

1. Skinned dialer

2. Bigger keyboard but still light in size

3. Proprietary side lock (no end button wake up). This means also the side screen off/wake up button also locks without the pin function

4. Backlight for the lcokscreen (of course not the pin lock)

Guest ultralight23

I tested SMS, receive and reply and works fine.

MMS, on receive, gave me a "MMSTrayNotification".exe error but i did receive it.

edit: also noticed Adv. Config. doesn't work with it.

Edited by ultralight23

Guest xlightwaverx
3. Proprietary side lock (no end button wake up). This means also the side screen off/wake up button also locks without the pin function

Just change the lock options in samsung settings. You can change it to what you want by going to Settings/General Settings/Buttons/Wake Up/Lock Only.

Guest ultralight23
Just change the lock options in samsung settings. You can change it to what you want by going to Settings/General Settings/Buttons/Wake Up/Lock Only.

...Almost all samsung software components have been removed (not to include drivers obviously)....

This includes samsung settings.

Guest nvrmind

Another one I just noticed was missing is the usb mode connection. Switching between activesync and mass storage device.

Thanks, the rom is super fast. Also, battery life is much better.