Is this the 3g module?

Guest OwenRW

Guest OwenRW

Taking a break from work for a few minutes, and having a browse around the web and came across the ePad P10.

This seems, for all intents and purposes to be the Vega (aka the P10AN01).

Now looking at the specs, the 3G module is listed as an Ericsson F3307.

Looking at the pictures in the teardown thread, it is conceivable that one of these could plug into it.

(They can be found on eBay with antennae)

Looking on the web indicates that they are used in tablets.

Anyone have one to try?

Edit: It even has USB, as per the P10AN01 spec

Edited by OwenRW

Guest Rhuey46

The only problem, the Vega doesn't have the PCI-e port, unless there is some adapter from the spare port to enable it?

There could be another controller board that plugs into that port, as the Ericsson module also needs an additional sim card reader.

Edited by Rhuey46

Guest OwenRW
The only problem, the Vega doesn't have the PCI-e port, unless there is some adapter from the spare port to enable it?

There could be another controller board that plugs into that port, as the Ericsson module also needs an additional sim card reader.

Interesting... it would be good if one of the guys who has disassembled their Vega already could take some close up pictures of that side of the board, and the spare sockets.

Guest JordanT92

I was looking at that a while back, the F3307 is a mini pcie board, the free slot on the Vega seems to be a placement board where someone with skills can solder a mini pcie slot. But if you have a Huawei 3G dongle, try slotting that in the USB port, going to an application such as GMail where you can add a new account, hold the back button until the menu comes up and hit Wireless Settings, in that submenu you can activate 3G and set up APN's, figured it out by accident the other night and don't have a 3G dongle to see if it actually activates. You probably won't get a signal bar on the stock Vega firmware, unless you use AdamG's CyanogenMod which will be relased shortly, that has the bar, and you may need to add Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk from a compatible device (ePad) to /system/app/ before 3G will work. If theres nothing in the kernel stopping it from working. This is purely theory.

If a 3G dongle could work via USB, it might be a cheaper alternative to add an extra USB port to the device than buy the F3307 and have a PCIE slot soldered on. Although the F3307 will also enable GPS functionality.

Edited by JordanT92

Guest Rhuey46
Interesting... it would be good if one of the guys who has disassembled their Vega already could take some close up pictures of that side of the board, and the spare sockets.

Or alternatively an ePad 3G owner could disassemble theirs and take pics of the module with numbers etc., maybe we could find out the manufacturer and order the parts separately?

Guest JordanT92

The ePad is a P10AN01 device. Identical spec AFAIK, there are multiple devices from multiple companies using the P10AN01 as a base to their product, although the ePad is the only one I could find that has 3G, seems they're slightly ahead of the other companies. Would be nice if someone with an ePad could get in touch with Modaco forums.

Edited by JordanT92

Guest OwenRW
But if you have a Huawei 3G dongle, try slotting that in the USB port, going to an application such as GMail where you can add a new account, hold the back button until the menu comes up and hit Wireless Settings, in that submenu you can activate 3G and set up APN's, figured it out by accident the other night and don't have a 3G dongle to see if it actually activates.

That's interesting... unfortunately I don't have a USB 3G dongle either to try it...

Or alternatively an ePad 3G owner could disassemble theirs and take pics of the module with numbers etc., maybe we could find out the manufacturer and order the parts separately?

That would probably be a much more sensible option :unsure:

Does anyone have an ePad ? (or know someone who does?)

Guest Rhuey46
I was looking at that a while back, the F3307 is a mini pcie board, the free slot on the Vega seems to be a placement board where someone with skills can solder a mini pcie slot. But if you have a Huawei 3G dongle, try slotting that in the USB port, going to an application such as GMail where you can add a new account, hold the back button until the menu comes up and hit Wireless Settings, in that submenu you can activate 3G and set up APN's, figured it out by accident the other night and don't have a 3G dongle to see if it actually activates. You probably won't get a signal bar on the stock Vega firmware, unless you use AdamG's CyanogenMod which will be relased shortly, that has the bar, and you may need to add Phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk from a compatible device (ePad) to /system/app/ before 3G will work. If theres nothing in the kernel stopping it from working. This is purely theory.

If a 3G dongle could work via USB, it might be a cheaper alternative to add an extra USB port to the device than buy the F3307 and have a PCIE slot soldered on. Although the F3307 will also enable GPS functionality.

My Three ZTE 3G usb dongle goes green when I plug it in, the thing we need is an app to dial out or the drivers to connect the dongle to the android software so it knows how to access and dial the dongle.

Guest remlap

I think this deserves a thread of its own for others to notice and try.

Guest JordanT92
My Three ZTE 3G usb dongle goes green when I plug it in, the thing we need is an app to dial out or the drivers to connect the dongle to the android software so it knows how to access and dial the dongle.

All we need now is the kernel source from Advent, then enabling it would be easy. Assuming it isn't already enabled, but nobody has put their APN in yet. I'll go get a Huawei dongle and mess around with it tonight.

Guest JordanT92
I think this deserves a thread of its own for others to notice and try.

I'm in work at the moment, I plan on making a thread when I get home (finish at 7), I have screenshots and more information, as well as my boss who is supplying a 3G dongle for me to mess round with. May as well discuss it here for the time being, then I'll get onto the thread when I get in.

Guest MarioUK
Good to know, thanks :D I'll give it a go when I get home and see if I get anywhere at all..

Hi guys,

I gave this a quick go tonight using my Huawei 3G dongle. I got into the wireless settings and enabled 3G, and tried to enter some APN settings, but when I clicked save, my changes just never got saved. Tried a couple times, but whenever it returns to the APN list, its just empty. Also tried the option to scan for mobile networks, but it fails with an error message :S

Good to know, thanks :D I'll give it a go when I get home and see if I get anywhere at all..

Putting my Vega in hostmode and trying the gmail trick to see if I could get my 3g dongle to work.......

I get a green light but trying to scan for Networks results in an error.

This is with an E172

I ordered a 3G ePad from Pioneer a week ago, but they have been closed for Christmas. They re-opened today and called me this morning. They haven't received their first shipment of 3G stock yet (they received the non 3G model a few days before they closed for Christmas). The ETA for the 3G stock before they closed was mid-January. I will hopefully have an update on the ETA tomorrow.

If the ETA blows out they can send me the non-3G version and send the 3G module when it arrives, so I assume they will be able to provide the 3G module seperately. It sounds like it should be an easy to install plug-in module and a software update is probably required.

When it does arrive I will open it up to get some details on the module and take some pictures. I'll dump the software as well.

If they will sell the 3G module seperately I would expect it to be over $100AUD (the price difference between the 3G and non-3G version is $100).

Guest bear807

oh good to see there is a supported 3g card is possible to fit in, recalling few weeks ago when i contacted advent vega team on twitter they say there is a possibility that a 3g module could be an add-on option in the future

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rmcfadgen

HI,

Complete newbie here, but I have recently purchased a Pioneer Computers DreamBook. It has a sub-brand of P10AN01.

I have been trying to root it so I could get access to Market. What I found was that I could update the ROM to be an Advent Vega - and from there use the Vega Root from MoDaCo.

So what??

Well, my DreamBook has a built in 3g SIM slot on the top. Purchasing 3g is an optional extra from Pioneer Computers (Australia). I don't know enough to find the things we all want to know but am willing to poke and pry if someone gives me instructions.

I am currently in New Zealand and have a 3 G SIM. I have put the SIM in the SIM slot on the device. I also have a Nokia 3g dongle if that is relevant.

HI,

Complete newbie here, but I have recently purchased a Pioneer Computers DreamBook. It has a sub-brand of P10AN01.

I have been trying to root it so I could get access to Market. What I found was that I could update the ROM to be an Advent Vega - and from there use the Vega Root from MoDaCo.

So what??

Well, my DreamBook has a built in 3g SIM slot on the top. Purchasing 3g is an optional extra from Pioneer Computers (Australia). I don't know enough to find the things we all want to know but am willing to poke and pry if someone gives me instructions.

I am currently in New Zealand and have a 3 G SIM. I have put the SIM in the SIM slot on the device. I also have a Nokia 3g dongle if that is relevant.

That's very interesting...

A couple fo things that would be useful wouldprobably be a ROM dump.

If you're feeling brave, go here and follow Pauls's instructions in post 13 (I think)

The other useful thing would be a picture of the 3G module itself. Unfortunately to do this, you'll need to take it apart... There are screws under the 4 rubber pads on the corners. If you gently remove the pads then the screws underneath, some gentle prying should pop the back off.

If you do that, some photos would be very useful... the 3G module should be in the middle of the device, although if you check out the teardown thread on here you should be able to see where it goes :lol:

Edited by OwenRW

HI,

So what??

So you have the 3G version or you have the normal one but it has a slot for a sim? When I spoke to Peter from Pioneer on Friday they still hadn't received the 3G stock and weren't expecting it for another week or two. They are sending me one without the 3G and will send the 3G board when the new stock arrives, so I should be able to do a guide on installing the 3G module when I get it.