mounting-scripts

Guest thedicemaster

Guest thedicemaster

i decided to get some scripts together here to get more function out of USB-storage devices.

i'll add more when i figure out some more useful ways to play with mounting commands.

1: add files on a usbstick/usb hdd to gallery/music players [usbmount]

gscript_USB_in_gallery.zip

2: view a 2nd usb-device through docking_usb [docking_usb]

-useful in combination with a usb-hub or PSPgo

mount_usb2_as_docking_usb.zip

3: fix the usb icon in the ztab file manager [usbdisk]

USB_in_ztab_filemanager.zip

4: use an ext2 formatted usbstick/drive [system_usb]

mount_ext2.zip

5: make an ext2 formatted usbstick/drive visible in gallery/music [usbmount]

ext2_on_sdcard.zip

6: force a usb device to mount, allows you to view android phones in mass storage mode. [system_usb]

fore_mount_usb.zip

untested:

scripts that i haven't tried myself yet, use with care.

b1: view a 2nd FAT partition through docking_usb [docking_usb]

partition2_visible.zip

notes:

1. all scripts require gscript, download from googlecode or support the developer by downloading it through the market.
  2. every package containing mount scripts also has an accompanying unmount script, run the unmount script before removing the usb device.
    if you don't unmount a device properly the device-number changes causing problems with the mount scripts.
  3. wait at least 10 seconds after plugging in a usb device before running a mount script, to make sure the usb device is detected.
  4. only use storage media that have the 1st partition formatted as FAT(16/32), android can't mount NTFS and these scripts are not designed for mounting linux-specific filesystems
  5. read the readme! vital information specific to each set of scripts is in here!
  6. don't use scripts with the same tag (ex: [usbmount]) at the same time, and don't use scripts tagged as [docking_usb] if you use an official vega-dock
  7. use at own risk, i have tested most of these scripts myself(and use them often) but i can't guarantee they will always work 100% as expected!
Edited by thedicemaster

Guest ArthurMachen

Thanks :P thedicemaster I have your view usb in gallery script working after a few go's.

Have you tried it with PowerAmp? Having a spot of difficulty getting it to see all my folders.

It seems to work perfectly seeing and playing my folders starting A & B but nothing from C onwards.

I have my music ordered with one folder for artist then seperate folders within this folder for each album by the artist. Now I have about 40gb of music on this drive ordered this way. Could this amount be an issue as I'm stumpted by why it would register the first 25 or so artists then stop :D Any ideas or anyone else with a similar issue.

Guest thedicemaster

likely an issue with poweramp.

i'm pretty sure you'd get the same problem if you put all those files on a microSD

technically all poweramp sees is an sdcard with a subfolder "usbmount" filled with music.

Guest TerryH

Thank you for your scripts! One general question concerning USB-Storage sticks:

How I unmount the Usb-stick from system? do I need everytime shut down the system or is there any option which I missed?

Guest thedicemaster

unmounting a usb stick mounted by android(/mnt/usb/system_usb) can't be done using any normal way.

for some reason linux refuses to unmount it.

a 2nd usb-stick mounted using my script under docking_usb however can easily be unmounted with the included unmount script.

Guest Toxophilite

Thank you thedicemaster for the scripts, which you directed me to from another topic I started on Slideshows.

Particularly the first script, which is exactly what I wanted - to use Gallery Slideshow to view a large number of jpg photos directly from a USB stick.

This works perfectly and I am delighted :D

Can the same script be used to provide playback on the Vega of video files on a USB stick?

Thank you thedicemaster for the scripts, which you directed me to from another topic I started on Slideshows.

Particularly the first script, which is exactly what I wanted - to use Gallery Slideshow to view a large number of jpg photos directly from a USB stick.

This works perfectly and I am delighted :D

Can the same script be used to provide playback on the Vega of video files on a USB stick?

You can use mVideoPLayer and add the folder on the usb drive as a location (/mnt/usb/system_usb/Movies)

Works very well and even allows cover art / posters to be added

Guest thedicemaster

*updated*

added scripts to mount a usb stick formatted as ext2, i recommend using this only for HD video files of over 4GB.

1 to mount it as a regular usb device, and 1 to mount it on the sdcard for use in gallery/usic application.

thanks to phh for helping me figure out i needed to chmod ext2 partitions if i want to access them in applications that don't request root access.

Toxophilite: the "mount * on sdcard" scripts work with any filetype.

so any video files present on your usb stick will also be shown in gallery(or any video playing app that searches the sdcard for media files) if you use one of those scripts.

Guest Toxophilite
*updated*

added scripts to mount a usb stick formatted as ext2, i recommend using this only for HD video files of over 4GB.

1 to mount it as a regular usb device, and 1 to mount it on the sdcard for use in gallery/usic application.

thanks to phh for helping me figure out i needed to chmod ext2 partitions if i want to access them in applications that don't request root access.

Toxophilite: the "mount * on sdcard" scripts work with any filetype.

so any video files present on your usb stick will also be shown in gallery(or any video playing app that searches the sdcard for media files) if you use one of those scripts.

Thanks to you and Maxip for your replies - Very helpful. :D

Guest thedicemaster

another update because i managed to find the reason why android phones in mass storage mode didn't work.

the vega checks for any device with a mass storage mode if it can be mounted straight away, if not it's ignored.

an android phone however will first mount an empty drive(same as a cardreader without a memorycard) and then attaches the sdcard once you enable storage mode.

by this time the vega already has it set to ignore, so it's never mounted.

what my latest script does is essentially no different from what the vega normally does by itself: it mounts the 1st (fat)filesystem of the 1st inserted USB-device as system_usb.

it isn't automated though, so you can just activate it manually after activating storage mode on an android phone.

just don't forget to unmount before unplugging, and don't try to mount 2 devices at the same time using scripts with the same [tag]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest harmony895

I use the usbmount script.

In a file manager i see the music i have on a usb stick(fat32) in the folder usbmount.

The music is in a folder and all are mp3.

When i click in the filemanager on it it plays.

But in none of the players, standard or winamp i can't find them back.

Any one know how to solve this??

My tablet is a POV10 tegra, the same as a advent.

Guest xathras
I use the usbmount script.

In a file manager i see the music i have on a usb stick(fat32) in the folder usbmount.

The music is in a folder and all are mp3.

When i click in the filemanager on it it plays.

But in none of the players, standard or winamp i can't find them back.

Any one know how to solve this??

My tablet is a POV10 tegra, the same as a advent.

There is a very simple music player called "andLess" which you will find on the Google Market which might suit you until you find something better. It has a very simple interface which is based on a file browser. If you navigate to a folder that has mp3s it will display all the files. You select a file and then it will play that file and any others in the folder below the file you selected until it has played the last file, when it will then stop. So if you select the first file in the folder it will play all the files in the folder and then stop. As I said, it's very simple and doesn't support playlists or random tracks. As a bonus it will also play .flac files.

I use it to play mp3s and flac files on a Kingston 16GB Data Traveler USB flash drive.

Hope this is of use to you. :lol:

Guest andrewdolphin

Just want 0ed to say thanks for these - was having an issue with some SD cards from a camera, after a clean format it would auto-mount fine, as soon as I put it in the camera and took some photos it wouldn't mount, despite no obvious changes to the card format.

Your mount script above works to force it to mount.

Is there also a possibility to mount my usb harddisk as a folder on my sdcard? When I open acrobat reader or quickoffice, I can only open files online or on my sdcard, but not on my external HDD.

Thanks a lot,

Smika

Guest lambrettalad
untested:

scripts that i haven't tried myself yet, use with care.

b1: view a 2nd FAT partition through docking_usb [docking_usb]

Attached File partition2_visible.zip ( 826bytes ) Number of downloads: 12

has any one tested this script?

Guest thedicemaster

you can try it yourself safely.

worst that can happen is mounting messes up a little and you need to reboot your tablet to use usb drives again.

Guest lambrettalad

I tried the b1 script but it didn't do anything. Partition 1 visible was but no joy for the second partition.

I have two 29gb partitions with data on both, fat32 with 32 cluster size.

Guest thedicemaster

could you tell me the contents of /dev/block/vold?

you should have several files there, the ones starting with 8: are most important in this case.

Guest lambrettalad

I can only see two files, am I looking in the right place

I opened ifile manager

pressed home then dev/block/vold

the files i see are

179:24

179:25

please excuse my stupidity, I am still learning ;))

Guest lambrettalad

had a look on the HDD no files exist on there, also I see no folders called dev/block/vold,

One thing I get when I run the script is an invalid argument in the dialogue box, dont know if that is of any help to you.

Guest thedicemaster

you where looking in the right place the 1st time, but you didn't have your usb drive inserted at that time so obviously android(or rather, linux) didn't create any "files" representing the partitions on the drive.

just plug in the hard drive, and go to the /dev/block/vold/ folder where you found 179:24 and 179:25

you should find 3 new files there, 1 for each partition(partition table counts as a partition too)