Quake Unlimited exclusively on MS Smartphone!

Guest RCAM

We are proud to announce the development of a new Quake game for the Microsoft Smartphone Platform. In 2002 Microsoft and Orange, a UK based cell phone provider, unleashed the Orange SPV. The Orange SPV is the first, and only, MS powered Smartphone. It features an ARM processor like the one found in many handheld PDA's currently on the market. The Gameboy Advance is also powered by the same type of processor. The game engine is based upon that of Quake 2's. It has been adapted from the X86 version to the ARM processor. We are still in the production phase and have not yet set a release date. The tentative title is "Quake Unlimited".

This is actually my company doing this. We figured it may attract some attention. We also have a good track record. If anyone would like to apply to become a developer on this game please contact me with the subject "QUP". Thanks for your support guys!

Edited by RCAM

Guest awarner [MVP]

Now that would be one game I'd have to have ;) :lol: :D

This gets my vote, Quake Unlimited, I can see my PC getting

more and more redundant :)

I have PM you about beta testing if you need any help

Cheers

Ashley

Guest Gorskar

Sounds good!

I have put down $10 as what I would pay for it, although if it was really REALLY special (a difficult task given the spv's poor buttons) then I might stretch to $15. It would have to have good gameplay though, not just eye-candy.

$10 seems to be about the standard price for fun, well made commercial games for the smartphone.

Looking forward to seeing what appears!

Guest Shire29

Quake is still a very popular game. My lads and I play regualrly on the PC, well the Arena version with the Threewave mod (capturestrike).

Obviously Q3A is impossible on the smartphone, but I for one would be willing to pay for an SPV version of Q2 :)

Wow, quake on my phone :shock: Smartphone just gets better and better.

Cheers, Shire

From http://rcam.ws

This is actually my company doing this. We figured it may attract some attention. We also have a good track record with ID Software. (Quake 3 if you did not know 8)) If anyone would like to apply to become a developer on this game please contact [email protected] with the subject "QUP". Thanks for your support guys!

Thats a very nice website by the way!

Yes, but please tell me they'll be a proper site as well as the flashy, looks nice, but incredibly slow advertisement.

I sometimes think that flash was the worst thing to happen to the web...

I loved the website, but then i am on broadband now :)

Their was someone else trying to develop quake for the SPV as i reported some time ago, however muff seems to have all but disappeared. Maybe he got to the point were the project was pointless due to speed (thats not to say it can't be made fast), i dont know!

DJ Hope

Scrap the sometimes ;-)

Flash is grand as an advertisement, as long as there is a solid site behind it where it is easy to get any information you want. If a site takes half an hour to load (even on broadband) and you only want to check something quickly then there is something wrong. At the very least there should always be a "skip intro" button, preferably available from the beginning.

What speed do you think it will be able to work on?

Can you maybe post a screenshot,

anyway it sounds great and im sure that it'll be a great product!

Regards

Eran Saghiv

Eran, the speed will be normal, as if you were playing it on a computer. We are talking no lag :) No screenshots yet. And lastly I agree with you, "It'll be a great product!"

Guest ClintEastman

Bazz, I agree with you about long loading times and crap, pointless sites. I on the other hand I use flash to build web APPLICATIONS, all optimised for 56k.

Take for instance the Contact management system I am working on at the moment. Now here we have a solution that is better organised and easier to use than Outlook, with the main criteria for the project is that it calls and manipulates data FASTER than Outlook. So now I have a CRM that can work faster over a 56K line on an SQL database than Outlook can on a local database!!! (Sorry, can’t post a demo URL at the moment).

And yes, there’s an SPV version coming… PHP this time….

It’s a shame flash has so many talent less, FrontPagers churning out utter crap giving it a bad name!

Have a look at this one (Bearing in mind its 100% flash), and see if it fits in with your views of flash.

www.mita.co.uk

And just for interest, most of the sites i produce come in under 150k. (data loaded on a need-to-know basis).

PS Thanks awarner, that was the first site we ever produced! Getting better all the time, oh and it really is testing connection and system speed at the beginning! Nice.

I dont care what people say about flash, ure site rox 8)

this sounds like a really exciting project, but there is one thing that concerns me: the control mechanism. With games like quake you have to look as well as move around, which i am sure you can see is going to be a major headache. there are only 3 possible solutions i can see

1. Take the vertical element out of looking and play the game on a 2D plane (a bit like doom). This is obvoiusly not the ideal solution but if its just too fidly then it may be the best

2. walk around using the 2,4,6,8 keys. and use the joypad button to look around. doesn't strike me as too difficult to make (but then again im not a developer), but i think it would be too fidley.

3. Now this is an idea of my own, ill try to explain it but its a little complicated. :idea:

Right, its based on the principle that a human is better at spacial movement than timing operations. i.e. imagine you have to move a dot across the screen horizontally. would you find it easier to

a) move a mouse a certain distance across the desk, which would directly represent the dis. that the dot travelled on screen

;) depress a button, which when pressed moves the dot across, and hold in on for a certain amount of time to make it travel the desired distance

i think you will agree that method "a" is much better

the only way to have this sort of control on the SPV (that i can see) is to use the camera. say it was pointed at a piece of white paper with a black dot on it.

now say that out of the 640 hoizontal pixels the black dot fell in pixel 200. this could then be stored in memory. now a fraction of a second later another image could be taken. the camera has moved and the dot now appears in horizontal pixel 300. some software could then compare the two frames and realise that the camera had been pointed 100 pixels to the right, and therefore move the on screen action to the right by a certain amount.

note that this could also be done for the verticle axis. also it wouldn't suffer from the low transsfer rate of the samera because its only transferring 1/several pixel, not hundreds.

could something like this be done?

which of these mecahnisms have you decided to use?

cheers. :)

Guest Gorskar

Wow, I really Like that Idea!

If that could be implemeted it would be absolutely ace.

Perhaps it could be developed as a separate module that could be sold to other game developers.

Only problem I see is that the camera refresh rate is so poor that it would have difficulty as a viable control method.

I do not believe the idea with the camera is practical. Not much good for playing quake on the train and you would have to carry the camera around.

I do not think control will be that difficult. What you will probably have is the voice record button as the free look button.

I have been thinking about how we plan to control it. I am not sure exactly what we are going to use at this point. I thought of making it a 2D plane, but that may disrupte the fun for many people. I think its a better idea to use the keypad for 8 directionial inputs. If people want they can stay on the 2D plane, if they want more, then they can practice using all 8 for full 3D movement. Thanks for the input, if the camera had a faster refresh rate we would possibly use that.

Guest HelloDave
if the camera had a faster refresh rate we would possibly use that.

It's a good idea, but it's also true that the refresh rate of the camera is very poor. Look at the preview speed when taking a picture and imagine trying to play Quake with an update speed like that!

i can understand your concern over the refresh rate. however from what i gather it is only slow because of the low data rate on the serial connection between camera and phone.

with what i propose you would only need a 3 x 3 or so square to transfer, not 640*480 pixels. with such a low bandwidth requirement the number of refreshes could be far greater, meaning that problem could be solved just by some new software.

that still doesn't solve the problem of the angry business men on the train when you stuff a camera in their face though :)

Guest HelloDave
with what i propose you would only need a 3 x 3 or so square to transfer, not 640*480 pixels

Don't forget you can't resize the pixels on the camera, so that 3*3 square is still going to be made up of a few pixels on the CCD, all of which need transferring to the phone. The camera preview is 160*120, but i'm not sure how it works; does it only transfer some of the pixels from the CCD to crudely resize the image, does the camera resize the image internally or (god forbid) does the camera always transfer the whole image and the SPV resizes it in software? Even at 80*60, video in IA album is sloooow and if you used much less pixels than that the system would be too sensistive.

It's a good idea, but the SPV just isn't up to the job; an SDIO type controller would probably be the best solution, if a little elaborate!

Guest Shuflie

I don't think that an SDIO controller is a particularly great idea, where would you store all your games? As the SPV has both USB and serial inputs available on the connector why not look at a way of modifying existing technology to work with the SPV? For example, if some enterprising manufacturer could modify one of the clip on trackballs that were available for laptops so that it connected to the bottom of the SPV that would provide a nice analogue input for games such as Quake and Doom.