SD card unexpectedly removed - Error

Guest Dr.Alani

Guest Dr.Alani

Dear all,

I am having the error "SD card unexpectedly removed" sometimes when I press the hangup button, some other times when I pickup the phone from a desk or my pocket.

I tried using a new SD card and still the error occurs. Is it a mechanical issue or a software issue?

I have my phone on 2.1 v20a Europe ROM.

Guest merrymenvn
Dear all,

I am having the error "SD card unexpectedly removed" sometimes when I press the hangup button, some other times when I pickup the phone from a desk or my pocket.

I tried using a new SD card and still the error occurs. Is it a mechanical issue or a software issue?

LG hardware error: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9736

Guest despotovski01
Dear all,

It sounds like a hardware error. I've used V20a European Open rom and never experienced something like this.

Guest Dr.Alani
It sounds like a hardware error. I've used V20a European Open rom and never experienced something like this.

What is the exact type of your SD card?

I used a 4 GB SanDisk that came with the phone when I bought it, and tried another one called GoodRam 8GB

Guest despotovski01
What is the exact type of your SD card?

I used a 4 GB SanDisk that came with the phone when I bought it, and tried another one called GoodRam 8GB

I use Kingston 2GB, which came with the phone.

Guest merrymenvn
Going through all the replies there, it does not seem an LG issue, HTC and other phones users also have the same problem.

All LG models and some others :D.

Maybe it denpends on rom, I've had same issue with 1.6 and 2.2 (CyanogenMod) but not with 2.1 (20B Vietnam).

Guest fishears
All LG models and some others :D.

Maybe it denpends on rom, I've had same issue with 1.6 and 2.2 (CyanogenMod) but not with 2.1 (20B Vietnam).

I've had this problem and fixed it by flashing it in cs_emergency mode with the card and battery out...

Guest Dr.Alani

I have formatted the card on the computer (again) and copied my files back on it and used "CHKDSK" with a /r option.

My thought is that there is an application using the SD in a wrong way and causing a file allocation table problem.

The small cards with 1 or 2 GB does not have such a problem because the use FAT and not FAT32 so this problem does not arise.

Thats my first thought.

BTW:Its working now after the format I will check it for a day or two and tell you how it goes.

Edited by Dr.Alani

Guest merrymenvn
I have formatted the card on the computer (again) and copied my files back on it and used "CHKDSK" with a /r option.

My thought is that there is an application using the SD in a wrong way and causing a file allocation table problem.

The small cards with 1 or 2 GB does not have such a problem because the use FAT and not FAT32 so this problem does not arise.

Thats my first thought.

BTW:Its working now after the format I will check it for a day or two and tell you how it goes.

My SDcard is 2G.

Formatting (using Computer or phone) doesn't help, after 2h, this error happens again (although I don't copy anything to sdcard).

Guest Dr.Alani
My SDcard is 2G.

Formatting (using Computer or phone) doesn't help, after 2h, this error happens again (although I don't copy anything to sdcard).

It did not work anyway. I have changed the card now with a Kingston 4GB SDHC4 and has been working well since yesterday. I formatted it in the phone and removed it and connected it to the laptop and copied my old files into it.

I suggest you try to format it as FAT not FAT32 and see what happens.

Guest Dr.Alani
It did not work anyway. I have changed the card now with a Kingston 4GB SDHC4 and has been working well since yesterday. I formatted it in the phone and removed it and connected it to the laptop and copied my old files into it.

I suggest you try to format it as FAT not FAT32 and see what happens.

I believe I have found the solution for this issue.

The reason behind the error message is that the SDHC card is of class 2. The solution is to use SDHC of class 4 and higher for Android 2.1 and higher.

Reason:

Class 2 SDHC cards have a speed of 2Mbps while Class 4 is 4Mbps. Android 2.1 was optimized to get the best out of the camera and be able to record HD video. This HD video requires a speed higher than 2Mbps. Even if your camera does not support HD video, the OS does. Thus, many applications that use the SD card that were written for 2.1 rely on using the read/write speed of 4Mbps or higher. This leads to many applications tend to cause this error on the phone.

The solution is simple, get a class 4 or higher SDHC card if you have 2.1 or higher android. Many phones do not face this problem because they already supply the phones with such a card. I was not that lucky, though. I received my phone with a 4GB SanDisk class 2 SDHC card. I do not blame the distributor for that as the phone was 1.6 Android when I bought it.

I hope this helps.

Guest merrymenvn
I believe I have found the solution for this issue.

The reason behind the error message is that the SDHC card is of class 2. The solution is to use SDHC of class 4 and higher for Android 2.1 and higher.

Reason:

Class 2 SDHC cards have a speed of 2Mbps while Class 4 is 4Mbps. Android 2.1 was optimized to get the best out of the camera and be able to record HD video. This HD video requires a speed higher than 2Mbps. Even if your camera does not support HD video, the OS does. Thus, many applications that use the SD card that were written for 2.1 rely on using the read/write speed of 4Mbps or higher. This leads to many applications tend to cause this error on the phone.

The solution is simple, get a class 4 or higher SDHC card if you have 2.1 or higher android. Many phones do not face this problem because they already supply the phones with such a card. I was not that lucky, though. I received my phone with a 4GB SanDisk class 2 SDHC card. I do not blame the distributor for that as the phone was 1.6 Android when I bought it.

I hope this helps.

class 2 means speed > 2 MByte/s

http://developer.qualcomm.com/dev/chips/qs...-chipset-family

Desire, N1, Liquid E, X10 use QSD 8250, can play or record HD720 video: H.264 High Profile v3.0 Up to 30fps @720p (1280x720), 10Mbps, max bitrate is 10Mbit/s ~ 1.25 MByte/s

Applications can't decide read/write speed, it's managed by OS (android), and it depend on sdcard.

Guest Dr.Alani
class 2 means speed > 2 MByte/s

http://developer.qualcomm.com/dev/chips/qs...-chipset-family

Desire, N1, Liquid E, X10 use QSD 8250, can play or record HD720 video: H.264 High Profile v3.0 Up to 30fps @720p (1280x720), 10Mbps, max bitrate is 10Mbit/s ~ 1.25 MByte/s

Applications can't decide read/write speed, it's managed by OS (android), and it depend on sdcard.

Thanks for the insight my friend. First of all, I meant MBps not Mbps, my bad.

Second, I did not say that the application decides the speed of interaction with the SD, applications use OS bridge to access the memory.

Regarding the HD 720p format you mentioned earlier, it is not the standard. HD720 has variable bit-rate. The one announced about the X10 is not the actual standard. The codecs can go as up to 24Mbps (almost 3MByte/s) for H.264 and about 19Mbps (almost 2.375 MByte/s) for the 30fps.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720...ng-formats.html

Anyway, this is not the issue here. The issue is that if someone is using a Class 4 SDHC memory with android 2.1 and having this error, please write about it.

This has solved the issue for me, I mean moving from Class 2 to Class 4.

Guest long88dn
Thanks for the insight my friend. First of all, I meant MBps not Mbps, my bad.

Second, I did not say that the application decides the speed of interaction with the SD, applications use OS bridge to access the memory.

Regarding the HD 720p format you mentioned earlier, it is not the standard. HD720 has variable bit-rate. The one announced about the X10 is not the actual standard. The codecs can go as up to 24Mbps (almost 3MByte/s) for H.264 and about 19Mbps (almost 2.375 MByte/s) for the 30fps.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/general-hd-720...ng-formats.html

Anyway, this is not the issue here. The issue is that if someone is using a Class 4 SDHC memory with android 2.1 and having this error, please write about it.

This has solved the issue for me, I mean moving from Class 2 to Class 4.

I think Dr.Alani told so right more than merrymenvn because when i was using Rom 2.1 which from LG Services set up. I used "move to sd card" in 2.1 Rom that sometime SD Card Unexpectedly remove "auto" more than one time. I thought have problem from SD CARD i used... Until i installed application in Rom 2.2.1 CyonagenMod i had any problem. When i read informations from Dr.Alani who told to need and use Micro SDHC class 4 or higher, i believe that is true.

IF SOMEONE ONE USING MICRO SDHC FROM CLASS 4 TO CLASS 10 HAVE PROBLEM ABOUT THIS WE NEED TO LISTEN! AND IF NOT WE NEED SOMEONE TALK ABOUT SUCCESSFULLY, WE NEED PROOF.. THANKS

Hi guys!

I just want to say:

I have Transcend 4GB microSD class 6 from the 1st day of my life with GT540 (that means 1.6 and now 2.1 OS) and NEVER had one single problem with the card. Card is formated in FAT32 sistem by phone himself. :D

I hope this info help some of you...

Guest ThornInMySide

Hi,

I have SanDisk Class4 4GB SDHC and get the "SD card unexpectedly removed" error on 2.1 at least 3 times a day, so your theory may not hold.

Thorn

Edited by ThornInMySide

Guest Dr.Alani
Hi,

I have SanDisk Class4 4GB SDHC and get the "SD card unexpectedly removed" error on 2.1 at least 3 times a day, so your theory may not hold.

Thorn

I don't know my friend. Maybe its not quite right, but it worked for me. So, there has to be a reasonable explanation.

Guest long88dn
Hi guys!

I just want to say:

I have Transcend 4GB microSD class 6 from the 1st day of my life with GT540 (that means 1.6 and now 2.1 OS) and NEVER had one single problem with the card. Card is formated in FAT32 sistem by phone himself. :D

I hope this info help some of you...

your informations sound good. HAVE YOU GOT APP2SD APPLICATIONS ON 2.1 ROM? , AND ANY PROBLEM???

I'M WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWER. IMPORTANT PROOF...PLEASE.

Guest ThornInMySide
I don't know my friend. Maybe its not quite right, but it worked for me. So, there has to be a reasonable explanation.

You're right, there has to be a reasonable explanation. Maybe I've fiddled too much and this could explain why I get the error?

I will do a backup this weekend and format my card and see if this resolves the error for me. Will post the result a few days after that.

Guest Dr.Alani
your informations sound good. HAVE YOU GOT APP2SD APPLICATIONS ON 2.1 ROM? , AND ANY PROBLEM???

I'M WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWER. IMPORTANT PROOF...PLEASE.

If it helps, my phone is not rooted and I don't use Apps2sd and got the error using two different SD cards of class 2, and the error was gone when I used a class 4 card.

Guest long88dn
If it helps, my phone is not rooted and I don't use Apps2sd and got the error using two different SD cards of class 2, and the error was gone when I used a class 4 card.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Guest long88dn
Using a 4GB Class 4 Kingston card, app2sd applied, rooted, never seen the problem once since I got the phone (past September 2010).

THANK YOU SO MUCH