full 1024x600 wallpaper in adw.launcher with 1 screen/page

Guest thedicemaster

Guest thedicemaster

i managed to figure out the best way to prepare and assign wallpapers for adw.launcher if you only use 1 screen, or disable wallpaper scrolling.

wallpapers need to be applied with "wallpaper chooser" from market to prevent quality-loss, and wallpapers need to be applied while in landscape orientation.

i made this sample-wallpaper so you can see which dimensions your image needs to be:

basewallpaperlandscapes.png

for optimal use take a 1024x1024(for landscape and widescreen) or 1024x600(for landscape-only) image and paste it over the green/yellow/red areas on this image.

and don't worry about the black areas, those will be cut-off when the wallpaper is in use.

Guest wi-fli

Thanks for this - I wonder if it'll fix the wallpaper display scaling problem in launcher pro as well?

When I get a moment or three, I'll give it a try and report back the answer to my own question...

Guest phil-t

Launcher Pro is pretty similar,

The native aspect ratio/resolution for an image is 1200*1024 (WxH).

In Portrait Mode, assuming a 1200*1024 image

The middle screen is showing 300-900 pixels wide and all 1024 high,

In Landscape, for the middle screen, it shows pixels 88 - 1112 (width) and the top 600 pixels of the image for height,

I use "wall switch" from the market, which also doesn't mess with the image quality..

I don't mind the scrolling aspect, now I've sussed how to get 1:1 pixel quality, I just frame my images correctly, and save at 1200*1024 or any higher resolution with the exact same aspect ratio.

I've attached a very quick overlay that shows for a 3 page LP desktop where the middle screen is located in the correct 1200*1024 sized wallpaper for portrait and landscape.!!!!

Like the OP's stuff with ADW, it really transforms things when you have a pixel perfect hi res background!

post-54166-1294577411_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil-t

Guest wi-fli
Launcher Pro is pretty similar,

The native aspect ratio/resolution for an image is 1200*1024 (WxH).

In Portrait Mode, assuming a 1200*1024 image

The middle screen is showing 300-900 pixels wide and all 1024 high,

In Landscape, for the middle screen, it shows pixels 88 - 1112 (width) and the top 600 pixels of the image for height,

I use "wall switch" from the market, which also doesn't mess with the image quality..

I don't mind the scrolling aspect, now I've sussed how to get 1:1 pixel quality, I just frame my images correctly, and save at 1200*1024 or any higher resolution with the exact same aspect ratio.

I've attached a very quick overlay that shows for a 3 page LP desktop where the middle screen is located in the correct 1200*1024 sized wallpaper for portrait and landscape.!!!!

Like the OP's stuff with ADW, it really transforms things when you have a pixel perfect hi res background!

brilliant!

Many thanks,

I can't wait to try this when I escape from this mall trip hell...!

Guest phil-t
Any word on the lockscreen issue?

What issue is that?

In LP, having used wall switch to set the wallpaper, my lock screen is fine, albeit it is in Landscape only?

Guest montage
i managed to figure out the best way to prepare and assign wallpapers for adw.launcher if you only use 1 screen, or disable wallpaper scrolling.

wallpapers need to be applied with "wallpaper chooser" from market to prevent quality-loss, and wallpapers need to be applied while in landscape orientation.

i made this sample-wallpaper so you can see which dimensions your image needs to be:

for optimal use take a 1024x1024(for landscape and widescreen) or 1024x600(for landscape-only) image and paste it over the green/yellow/red areas on this image.

and don't worry about the black areas, those will be cut-off when the wallpaper is in use.

Cant find wallpaper chooser in market....

Guest wi-fli

I was going to faff about with a picture editor and the templates etc, when I realised that with the info posted above I could simply make more informed choices of pre-created wallpapers from the many free wall paper websites out there, and then just download pics that would work much better on my Vega than the ones I've used to date.

eg (after not much googling) this website: http://wall.alphacoders.com/ also has the ability to generate a cropped image to custom pixel dimensions, which made the whole thing a doddle.

SO thanks to all for the info, my Vega is starting to look much better now than it was with Launcher Pro

Its not the same portion of the wallpaper as the normal desktop.

It is on mine, using Launcher Pro and 'wall switch' to set the wallpaper... in fact the lock screen is the correctly scrolled section of the image, so if you lock on the left most desktop, the lock background matches that..

Cant find wallpaper chooser in market....

As mentioned, it's on appbrain, and also I've found 'Wall Switch' that is on the market that also works, although it cycles between images in a set folder everytime you use it...

Edited by phil-t

Guest s.morris

Well I rate myself as fairly tech savy, I have updated my vega and put this and that on, But bloody hell I just can't get the wallpaper right :D

I am using wall switch but it just doesn't come out right :P image size is 1024 x1024 and over

Presume you guy are using auto in wallswitch ?

Suppose the idea is to get an image where it is focused at the top in the yellow, the right size ,shape +one you like, wow! thats a tall order :P and after all that it looks crap in the lock screen B)

Steve

Edited by s.morris

Guest wobblydoggy

Anyway to resolve the portrait issue? forgive me if I have missed something pic attached. I understand how it's happened just wondered if there is a way around this

post-24994-1294667008_thumb.png

post-24994-1294667014_thumb.png

Anyway to resolve the portrait issue? forgive me if I have missed something pic attached. I understand how it's happened just wondered if there is a way around this

Unfortunately, this is the dilema, you have to carefully choose and frame your pictures, as the launchers will use different regions of them depending on orientation.. I just choose a nice high res image and set a crop box to 1200*1024 with the aspect ratio locked, so I can resize it but keep the same shape, then crop the image knowing that from the overlay images given, which bits I'll see in both orientations, and you can normally find a nice compromise..

What we need is the Launcher to have the ability to auto-switch between 2 different images, one for portrait, one for landscape.

Well I rate myself as fairly tech savy, I have updated my vega and put this and that on, But bloody hell I just can't get the wallpaper right :D

I am using wall switch but it just doesn't come out right :P image size is 1024 x1024 and over

Presume you guy are using auto in wallswitch ?

Suppose the idea is to get an image where it is focused at the top in the yellow, the right size ,shape +one you like, wow! thats a tall order :P and after all that it looks crap in the lock screen B)

Steve

Firstly, it depends on which 'launcher' you are using..

If it's the stock one that comes with the Vega, none of the above will apply..

If it's ADW, the OP shows you need a 2048*1024 image,

For Launcher Pro, it works on a 1200*1024 (WxH) image size..

In each case, you never see all the image, the overlays given are representing which portions of the whole image you actually see when in portrait/landscape orientation, you have to carefully crop/choose images based on that knowledge..

Guest thedicemaster

image is not tall enough.

it looks as if you used a 1024x600 image which will only work in landscape.

1024x1024 should work fine in both landscape and portrait(bottom half will be cut off in landscape, sides will be cut off in portrait)

Guest Touch Graphite

I dont know if this is related but....

There seems to be a wallpaper issue when using the stock launcher, launcher Pro or ADW Launcher.

Depending on which wallpaper you choose, the one that causes a fault with my vega is the speaker grill type black coloured wallpaper (ive tried with other wallpapers and seems the same)

is that the wallpaper is placed covering the bottom 3/4s of the screen with a black band across the top.

The wallpaper also looks stretched and pushed off the bottom of the screen area.

Scrolling across between homescreens makes the wallpaper scroll, even when using LauncherPro with the 'scrollable wallpaper' setting off. THe wallpaper seems to scroll sometimes and not others.

The black band issue exists in all launchers, but I can only cure it when switching back to the stock launcher. Switching between ADW or LP still shows this issue.

If this is isolated to my device, i'll try and capture some photos.

There are only 2 wallpapers (when selected) which clears this issue but quick inspections shows that these are the wider made images.

I dont know if this is related but....

There seems to be a wallpaper issue when using the stock launcher, launcher Pro or ADW Launcher.

Depending on which wallpaper you choose, the one that causes a fault with my vega is the speaker grill type black coloured wallpaper (ive tried with other wallpapers and seems the same)

is that the wallpaper is placed covering the bottom 3/4s of the screen with a black band across the top.

The wallpaper also looks stretched and pushed off the bottom of the screen area.

Scrolling across between homescreens makes the wallpaper scroll, even when using LauncherPro with the 'scrollable wallpaper' setting off. THe wallpaper seems to scroll sometimes and not others.

The black band issue exists in all launchers, but I can only cure it when switching back to the stock launcher. Switching between ADW or LP still shows this issue.

If this is isolated to my device, i'll try and capture some photos.

There are only 2 wallpapers (when selected) which clears this issue but quick inspections shows that these are the wider made images.

This is an issue witch the built in wallpapers and wall paper selection functionality.

To get around this, you need to use something like 'wall switch' available on the market, and in the case of launcher pro, you need to have a source image 1200 x 1024 (w x h),, and if look at the above templates to see which areas you will see in the two orientations. This means making your own wallpapers, as you can't use the inbuilt ones, but I just resize/crop windows wallpapers which are plentiful.

This will give you sharp wall papers with no black band at the top.

Edited by phil-t

Guest Touch Graphite
This is an issue witch the built in wallpapers and wall paper selection functionality.

To get around this, you need to use something like 'wall switch' available on the market, and in the case of launcher pro, you need to have a source image 1200 x 1024 (w x h),, and look away the above templates to see which areas you will see in the two orientations .

This willbgive you sharp wall papers with no black band at the top.

Although I thank you for your informative answer,

How come switching between LP and the stock launcher makes the black band disappear and reflows the wallpaper properly!?

I can even get it sitting pretty in LP after a few flicks back and forth.

Although I thank you for your informative answer,

How come switching between LP and the stock launcher makes the black band disappear and reflows the wallpaper properly!?

I can even get it sitting pretty in LP after a few flicks back and forth.

Because you are glitching the system..

When you change the wallpaper in a launcher, it takes the image you select, formats it how it requires, and must copy that formatted version to some internal cached 'wallpaper' file that it then uses from then on for speed etc.

The stock Launcher, and Launcher Pro format their wallpapers differently, and by switching between launchers, and setting the wallpaper from those launchers, you can get it to behave as you describe.

e.g. Using Home Switcher or similar from the market, with LP installed as a second launcher, you can

1. Place the device in Landscape

2. Switch the stock launcher

3. Set the wall paper, it is nicely full screen

4. Switch back to LP

5. Initially all looks well, you have a nice 'full screen' wallpaper.

But note that

6. It won't scroll left or right (assuming you have multiple home screens)

7. If you swivel the tablet to portrait mode and then back to landscape the wallpaper is out of sorts again..

I suspect that by switching between launchers, you are temporarily fooling the launcher into using the cached' wallpaper from the other launcher, but any action like switching to portrait in LP will cause this image to be re-cached/formatted back to being wrong..

The other consideration is that the built in wallpapers would have been created for the stock launcher, and certainly are not in the correct size/aspect ratio for the other launchers, so selecting one of the in built wallpapers from LP or ADW is never going to really work that well..

At least we know how it all works, and by cropping/resizing my images correctly, knowing which parts of the picture will be used in each orientation, I've done some nice wallpapers, and using WallSwitch or similar, are nice and high quality..

Guest simon77

Thanks for this.

I've just been playing with a few 2048 x 1024 images (from the wallpaper sites linked to earlier) for use with ADW.

The images in this album work with varying degrees of visual usability/niceness:

http://img837.imageshack.us/g/20481024vert.jpg/

Cos only the central 'T' is used there is always a lot of wasted image but that doesn't really matter with these wallpapers.

These full images work well with wallpaper scrolling on too.

Edited by simon77

Guest surly cat

Thank you very much, thedicemaster, for your excellent upload and post. ;)

Being able to use a third-party launcher without the annoying wallpaper trade-off is just great! I've made ADW my default launcher now and am never going back to stock.

Also, nice one recommending Wallpaper Chooser. Wallpapers (2048x1024) look perfect when I set them with this app. I've noticed that when I set them in the Gallery, the quality is okay but clearly inferior.