buneech

buneech

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade, SE Xperia Mini
  • Twitter:@buneech

So let's put the question the other way round. Why aren't you concerned ?

I don't use google dns, so i'm not concerned, using dns servers located much closer to me. But even if i were paranoid about google knowing what i browse ... then i wouldn't be using any product google has put out. Even google search, as that records my search, and gives me ads, related to my current and previous search. Heck, i probably wouldn't be using the world wide web.

You have to look at it from another perspective, also. Google is well known for caching information, and using it to build up their revenue, but in return they provide a whole bunch of "free" products like, gmail, google apps, youtube, gdocs, chrome, etc. Business has to work somehow.

The bad thing in all of this is, that there is no real competitor.

And don't get me wrong here, the web should be a little more private, and I agree with your concern on some levels. We are all different, and i'm happy we are. :D

OT: I would also like to know the answer to the op's question. I'm currently using MCR Froyo alpha4, and i'm kind of intrigued to try out JapJelly. Maybe i'll do a nandroid backup and take it for a spin. :P

Edited by buneech, 10 January 2011 - 10:25 PM.

Posted Image

StevenHarperUK

StevenHarperUK

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

That's nothing to do with with issue I'm talking about at all.

I have an honest Question:

What is your DNS choice then?

Who do you trust to do this?

cartierv

cartierv

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I don't use google dns, so i'm not concerned, using dns servers located much closer to me. But even if i were paranoid about google knowing what i browse ... then i wouldn't be using any product google has put out. Even google search, as that records my search, and gives me ads, related to my current and previous search. Heck, i probably wouldn't be using the world wide web.

You have to look at it from another perspective, also. Google is well known for caching information, and using it to build up their revenue, but in return they provide a whole bunch of "free" products like, gmail, google apps, youtube, gdocs, chrome, etc. Business has to work somehow.

The bad thing in all of this is, that there is no real competitor.

And don't get me wrong here, the web should be a little more private, and I agree with your concern on some levels. We are all different, and i'm happy we are. :D

OT: I would also like to know the answer to the op's question. I'm currently using MCR Froyo alpha4, and i'm kind of intrigued to try out JapJelly. Maybe i'll do a nandroid backup and take it for a spin. :P

Yah, but that's what I'm saying. That's not a reason not to be concerned. That's side stepping the issues here. This is something to be concerned about it in principle.

As I understand it Google's main income is actually adwords, but that's an aside.... anyway...

But no. It's not a question accepting some inherent 'culture' about Google. As far as Google itself goes it's about Google coming up to the mark. Not me lowering myself.

The mark here is I want CHOICE. To OPT IN on certain services and therefore data gathering and be EXCLUDED from others. Doesn't matter what other people want or is ok for them. Doesn't matter that the world is in a hurry, some dumb ass on the train, quickly wants to look something up on the browser, and doesn't care. None of that matters.

Now when some 'hacker' producing their own ROM starts OPTING me in to new Google services this is a complete no no. It's bad enough Google's position on this. But it's just bad form to be opting others in to new ones. Especially as we have just found out here, near enough hard writing it into a unix config file and requiring root or more developer tools to hack out again.

But as I say we all make mistakes. We are all entitled to 1 or 2 mistakes.

Edited by cartierv, 11 January 2011 - 11:48 AM.

cartierv

cartierv

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I have an honest Question:

What is your DNS choice then?

Who do you trust to do this?

It's not about trusting a DNS, it's about pooling your entire internet experience through one organisation. And a unique and massive and frankly rather spooky organization at that.

Google DNS is just a step too far.

Edited by cartierv, 11 January 2011 - 11:49 AM.

evilpaul

evilpaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

Now when some 'hacker' producing their own ROM starts OPTING me in to new Google services this is a complete no no. It's bad enough Google's position on this. But it's just bad form to be opting others in to new ones. Especially as we have just found out here, near enough hard writing it into a unix config file and requiring root or more developer tools to hack out again.

Whilst you may have some valid concerns, you need to be addressing these at Google rather than at kallt_kaffe and others on this forum.

On the first post in the Japanese Jellyfish thread it specifically states the following:

Added resolv.conf with Googles public DNS-servers.

Everyone who chooses to use that ROM is informed of what it contains, and therefore it is the users choice to then install the ROM and make use of the configured DNS servers.

If you feel that this is not good enough, then you have all the information on this forum to be able to build your own ROM with only the items you want to include.

Lew247

Lew247

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S3

Everyone who chooses to use that ROM is informed of what it contains, and therefore it is the users choice to then install the ROM and make use of the configured DNS servers.

If you feel that this is not good enough, then you have all the information on this forum to be able to build your own ROM with only the items you want to include.

Well said

razialita

razialita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
is there no way for me to keep my messages, since i need to wipe everything before doing a rom install from paul's froyo to jellyfish?

csholmq

csholmq

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Devices:Sony Xperia P
  • Twitter:@csholmq

is there no way for me to keep my messages, since i need to wipe everything before doing a rom install from paul's froyo to jellyfish?

SMS Backup+ on the market syncs all your messages (not MMS fully though) to your Gmail account. It's really convenient and worked for me twice!

goatee

goatee

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Razr Maxx XT910
  • Twitter:@edperch
Today, that's not working like that. Weird. However, battery life is excellent :D 22 hours since I unplugged it, and 45% left - that's with 2G on during the day, and airplane mode at night. Exchange email every 15 mins, and GMail whenever, as well as a couple of other bits and bobs.

I'm a fan!

That's a sign that your phone is not sleeping and will result in massive battery usage, just like many other JJ users have :P

I got that when i had it connected to the pc with usb, then remove the phone from the usb/pc connection....the phone needed a reboot to reset this.
The FLB latest rom v6, doesn't do this, when removed from pc usb connection.

Weird..

cartierv

cartierv

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Whilst you may have some valid concerns, you need to be addressing these at Google rather than at kallt_kaffe and others on this forum.

On the first post in the Japanese Jellyfish thread it specifically states the following:

Actually, I think here is the right place. I can't do a lot to Google. It's very hard telling a massive company they shouldn't be so massive, pervasive across the internet and offer so many services.

It's far better to talk about what the consequences of that are.

Now as far as I know, but I should check first, Google are not opting me into Google DNS as a default. If they are (and haven't checked the stock config) then that needs to stop too.

But this is Kalt Kaffe's ROM, not Googles and people should be aware of the consequences of this. And it also makes me wonder what else is installed in that particular ROM that I need to go over with a fine tooth comb. And I feel what I'm saying is, I kinda shouldn't have to really. I expect ROMs to be reasonably benign.

As a general thing, I think it's a not a great thing to be opting people in to new services even if you tell somewhere what they are. So yes, I will be looking to kill the Google DNS in the config file with this ROM. Thanks.

cartierv

cartierv

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thanks to Steven Harper for the info about the config file.

Edited by cartierv, 11 January 2011 - 11:40 PM.

csholmq

csholmq

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Devices:Sony Xperia P
  • Twitter:@csholmq

Today, that's not working like that. Weird. However, battery life is excellent :D 22 hours since I unplugged it, and 45% left - that's with 2G on during the day, and airplane mode at night. Exchange email every 15 mins, and GMail whenever, as well as a couple of other bits and bobs.

I'm a fan!

I have now 32 hours and 53% battery left. The thing that made a world of a difference is to use the Power Widget and turn off data transfer when you don't need it. I check my phone time to time after new e-mails so it's not an issue.

This is with phonecalls, some gaming and alarm set. I haven't resorted to airplane mode as the phone only lost 2% battery over night with 2G enabled.

MrPuddington

MrPuddington

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Devices:Android

It's not about trusting a DNS

It is - the trust goes both ways. You have to trust your DNS server to deliver correct answers, and you trust your DNS server to keep your queries confidential.

I for one would trust Google rather than all the different network providers for DNS. The DNS at home or at work may be ok, but would you trust the DNS at a free wifi hotspot? And if you don't trust Google, you should not be using Android.

However, since this is a very basic setting with potential significant consequences, it would be nice to have an option. Opt in or opt out - I don't care. Maybe there is an app for that?

kallt_kaffe

kallt_kaffe

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 + 10 + Asus Fonepad

Actually - I don;t know what the original DNS was set too, wasn't it some default ZTE one?

The stock ROMs doesn't have a resolv.conf. I just saw a thread somewhere about someone with DNS-issues and was comparing files between a CM6.1 release and JJ and noticed the CM6.1 had a resolv.conf file with the Google dns entrys. I just thought ZTE had forgotten to include it and it was a "standard" Android thing but having looked at my Huawei android dumps it also lacks the file so it's propably a CM thing.

Will remove it for RLS7 because I don't think it's being used anyway.

Blog - App

Ciels

Ciels

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Devices:ZTE

Here is a thread to tell you how to use ADB to do that

http://android.modac...-prop-with-adb/

Mine says 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Is it true that data might be going through a second DNS?

Bit lost :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users