Android 2.3...How long and how difficult?

Guest sukh singh

Guest sukh singh

Thinking of getting a nexus s or nexus one..put off nexus one and they only slightly cheaper and have smaller screen...then I think of sticking with the dell streak (one of my longest owned phones lol)

But question I have is..how long untill 2.3 hits the streak? Unofficially of course do not trust dell at all...

Will it be hard? Is it even going to be possible...

Guest Stephen Hyde

Very difficult at min since google decided to change most of the graphics frameworks so froyos drivers wont work which reduces the usability to nil at mo

Guest Stephen Hyde

Personally id stay with streak theirs no huge.changes in 2.3 anyway and its slower than froyo. I wont touch samsung junk as far as I could throw it so id advise not getting the s. Nexus one is nice though .

Guest sukh singh

I personally hate the fact that samsung made it...just love the screen and the nexus one would be too small from the streak..ill stick with the streak will miss the screen too much..

Guest Stephen Hyde

agreed ill be targeting honeycomb far harder than gingerbread, 2.3 just hasnt got enough added features to warrant the huge amount of work it'd take

Guest spacecat46
agreed ill be targeting honeycomb far harder than gingerbread, 2.3 just hasnt got enough added features to warrant the huge amount of work it'd take

When does it start becoming more looks than functionality?

I'm still on 1.1.1 and it does everything I can think of especially since flash

It also looks pretty good as well.

What features are there to be gained in terms of functionality going from 2.2 to 2.3 or 3.0 apart

From ui

Guest Stephen Hyde

3.0 just looks plain cool and it designed for tablets, 2.3 is for phones and only good feature is the new copy and paste which im gonna look at porting

Guest rahulkadukar

3.0 FTW, well I hope you are successful with porting 3.0, and yes 2.3 is not that cool I mean 2.2 was far more cooler than 2.1 but the same cannot be said for 2.3 over 2.2

Guest spacecat46

so really unless I desperately want copy and paste I might as well stick with my 2.2 dj steve 1.1.1

if I'm happy with the UI?

I was thinking about the 1.5.3 but is there a compelling reason to go for it

Guest spacecat46
Well, since 1.5.2, the Streak has become noticeably faster, so yes, it would be a good idea to upgrade.

Can I go directly from 1.1.1 to 1.5.3 if I upgrade the baseband first

Guest spacecat46
Well, since 1.5.2, the Streak has become noticeably faster, so yes, it would be a good idea to upgrade.

Guest utahstreak

I wouldn't get that excited, go down to your local phone store and pick up a galaxy s, mess with it for fifteen minutes, then pick up a nexus s and play spot the difference! you will need the sales rep to help you find any! Apart from the totally worthless NFC hype there's nothing worth while, in fact i think that the only reason google release these 'updates' (for want of a better word) is just to give the impression that they are moving forward in some way, updates like this may move sideways a bit, but definitely not forward.

3.0 just looks plain cool and it designed for tablets, 2.3 is for phones and only good feature is the new copy and paste which im gonna look at porting

This is just great news. Personally I think the tablet features will suit the Streak very well. Witness the success of your work on the Tab email app.

Besides, you seem to be giving us many 2.3 features already.

You have just laid to rest any lingering doubts I might have had regarding the Streak running Android versions after 2.2/2.3.

Thank you for that too.

Definitely need to update baseband to move up. Doesn't matter which one you flash first.

Guest Oreynid

Weren't the graphics framework changes to 2.3 done partially to support better gaming on android? I know that many media player developers like VLC and CorePlayer are waiting until 2.3 to release software as 2.3 finally gives them some better API calls to work with on the devices?

Guest Stephen Hyde

maybe they wore but since the only devices with usable drivers are the samsung devices that cant be proved yet, not even nexus one has proper 3d support yet