T mobile (UK) hacks it's data allowance!

Guest squirreleater

Guest squirreleater

Edit 3:

Another change, Tmobile have backtracked and existing customers are NOT now included.

Tmobile statement

Edit 2:

Links added for information.

Modaco or little me carry no responsibility for any of the information of links provided, this is just advice to help.

Cantankerous template letter

Bitterwallet advice at 1.00pm on 12/1/11

Villianrom

Money saving experts

Which mobile

Coolsmartphone

Little fluffy toys (!) Letter

Wizbongre Ofcom letter

EDIT: See my post on the 2nd page.

Basically Direct and indirect sales as well as existing customers are affected!

Just a quicky as it does effect us smartphone users somewhat.

T-Mobile UK have just put up today that thay are changing their previously generous data policy (3GB, but never really cared if you went over) to 500mb a month.

Frankly, this just isn't enough if you don't have easy access to Wifi, modern smartphones are designed to access the web, use maps,watch videos and constantly sync with sites like twitter,facebook etc, all requiring data use.

Basically they say the data allowance isn't for gaming,videos or uploading/downloading.....

Page here:

T-mobile.

Pasted from their site:

Changes to Mobile Internet fair use policies

T-Mobile is the only operator to give customers the Mobile Internet for a fixed-price. We never charge our customer's more than they expect for their Mobile Internet in the UK.

Therefore you'll never need to worry about how many emails you've sent, how long you've been on-line or the ‘data / GB’s’

Browsing means looking at websites and checking email, but not watching videos, downloading files or playing games. We’ve got a fair use policy but ours means that you'll always be able to browse the internet, it’s only when you go over the fair use amount that you won’t be able to download, stream and watch video clips.

So Whats Changing? - From 1st February 2011 we will be aligning our fair use policies so our mobile internet service will have fair use of 500MB.

What Does This Mean? - We’ll always let you email and browse the internet and you’ll never pay more than you agree to. We do have a fair use policy but ours is there to make sure we deliver the best service possible to all our customers. This means that you’ll always be able to browse the internet.

So remember our Mobile Broadband and internet on your phone service is best used for browsing which means looking at your favorite websites like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, BBC News and more, checking your email and looking for information, but not watching videos or downloading files.

If you want to download, stream and watch video clips, save that stuff for your home broadband.

Stuart.

Thats crappy I just renewed my contract with tmobile and one of the main reasons was if you get your android phone direct for them, you get the 3gb allowance, as I was aware that the "bolt-ons" offered by 3rd party suppliers like buymobilephones.net, were only offering 1gb

this line just makes me laugh!

"If you want to download, stream and watch video clips, save that stuff for your home broadband"

surely if people took out cotracts with the 3gb allowance they should be able to keeps that at least until their contracts expire. Fair enough if they change it for any new contracts taken out after this date, but for existing customers who took the contract out in good faith, thats just wrong!

Arrh ok, I'm trying to get some clarification on this, but it seems that if you took out your android contract with t-mobile directly with the 3gb monthly FUP, this is unchanged - if is only people with the mobile internet bolt ons and 1gb limits that come from 3rd party providers that are being reduced to 500mb.

If thats the cae then I'm safe.

Guest englishpunk

I love the following lines :

"T-Mobile is the only operator to give customers the Mobile Internet for a fixed-price. We never charge our customer's more than they expect for their Mobile Internet in the UK.

Therefore you'll never need to worry about how many emails you've sent, how long you've been on-line or the ‘data / GB’s’"

Just before tells you that this isn't the case anymore, lol ! :D

Guest Bibbleq

So three removes their "fair usage" and caps while T-Mobile reduce them to 500mb...

Also - "T-Mobile is the only operator to give customers the Mobile Internet for a fixed-price" - Err not sure thats correct! Anyway i want the full internet, not mobile internet whatever that is :D

I was just about to ring t-mobile to renew my contract & see about price matching Three. Might be worth just talking direct to three!

Guest christonge

It's the way they all seem to be going. I lost a 10GB download limit with Orange here in Spain 5 months ago now I can only get 1GB. No other option! Every operator has done the same, so that means I'm stuck with 128kbps download speeds for 3 weeks every month. Useless!! We are going backwards...

Guest TheBishopOfSoho

Is there not an argument for price fixing here, seeing that ALL the major telcos are offering essentially same amounts for same price there is some anti-competitive things going on here

Guest Bibbleq
Is there not an argument for price fixing here, seeing that ALL the major telcos are offering essentially same amounts for same price there is some anti-competitive things going on here

Three's one plan is Unlimited unlimited, i.e no cap, no fup, can be tethered etc...

Looking quite good atm, shame its three though

Guest squirreleater

I'll wait and see what the actual policy is on this and clarify , I expect existing customers are ok...

Give it a bit, the intermawebs are alive with it today, so T-mob will clarify the T=C's I'm sure.

I'll wait and see what the actual policy is on this and clarify , I expect existing customers are ok...

Give it a bit, the intermawebs are alive with it today, so T-mob will clarify the T=C's I'm sure.

They need to as their twitter is contradicting itself, they just told me it will affect all customers. the fact is they haven't even given 30 days notice if it is for existing customers

Edited by Higgsy

Pretty much yeah.

But a pink version of orange :D

same company though isn't it, they are now just brands of the parent company "Everything Everywhere" (apart from downloads and streaming vids etc lol)

Guest JimJam707
same company though isn't it, they are now just brands of the parent company "Everything Everywhere" (apart from downloads and streaming vids etc lol)

Very true :D

Oh well. If this continues I won't be staying with T-Mobile once my contract expires :/

Guest Scottland

I think they will eventually be re-branding as EE anyway, also I'd imagine when Orange open up their 3G network to T-Mob they don't want T-Mob users having an advantage over Orange.

I think they will eventually be re-branding as EE anyway, also I'd imagine when Orange open up their 3G network to T-Mob they don't want T-Mob users having an advantage over Orange.

3G network is pretty much irrelevant now though as all mobile operators have been given the go ahead to offer high speed internet access over 2g frequencies as of last week

Guest squirreleater

Ok Everyone.

T mobile have replied to me messages, this new Fair usage policy affects direct and indirect sales and applies to EXISTING customers as well!

Sorry, that is all I have, came via there twitter help account.

I can suggest Bitterwallet as a good place to read up on your rights.

Guest MrLowHoe

That last line in that announcement "If you want to download, stream and watch video clips, save that stuff for your home broadband." is like the biggest middle finger from a network provider.

Can more people post their experiences over the phone to T-Mobile regarding this?

I am livid atm. Swear words only come to mind ¬_¬

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.