Photo

T mobile (UK) hacks it's data allowance!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

feelmychi

feelmychi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Can I ask if anyone has put together a petition to stop this sorry? There's no question that contract users are basically having the terms of their contracts breached, but in addition to this, it is total abuse of power. WTF do they mean save videos and gaming and whatnot for home broadband? Who the hell are they to decide what we do with what we buy from them? If they sell me a phone with youtube/real internet/whatever as a major selling point, surely it's nothing more than their duty to ensure that they are actually continuing to provide me with what I've paid for?!

Argh we need a huge petition to stop this, it is total abuse of their clientèle.

T-mobile Pulse (Huawei U8220) running Tom G's Cyanogen Mod 6
HTC 7 Mozart! Soooooooo much better than ^ =]

Alex_P

Alex_P

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
This is ridiculous, I'm very glad I'm no longer with them, having moved to - you guessed it - Giffgaff!

Go through the link in my sig and we both get a fiver free credit too :D

Edited by Alex_P, 11 January 2011 - 11:37 AM.

Posted Image

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts

Can I ask if anyone has put together a petition to stop this sorry? There's no question that contract users are basically having the terms of their contracts breached, but in addition to this, it is total abuse of power. WTF do they mean save videos and gaming and whatnot for home broadband? Who the hell are they to decide what we do with what we buy from them? If they sell me a phone with youtube/real internet/whatever as a major selling point, surely it's nothing more than their duty to ensure that they are actually continuing to provide me with what I've paid for?!

Argh we need a huge petition to stop this, it is total abuse of their clientèle.

Petitions won't help. People need to start cancelling contracts and leaving T-Mobile for other networks. Only then will T-Mobile pay attention to the fact that it's customers are quite royally p'd off.

Bibbleq

Bibbleq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Just spoke with t-mobile retentions asking what the best they could do for me was, got some interesting prices for voice & txt. Said I was interested in Three for their data tariff that was unlimited & they started telling me that it wasn't "unlimited" and that it would have fair usage! seemed a bit cheeky given this recent move...!

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts

Just spoke with t-mobile retentions asking what the best they could do for me was, got some interesting prices for voice & txt. Said I was interested in Three for their data tariff that was unlimited & they started telling me that it wasn't "unlimited" and that it would have fair usage! seemed a bit cheeky given this recent move...!

They are correct as 3 isn't unlimited, it's 1GB.

zurpher

zurpher

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Devices:HTC DESIRE S

You can complain to Ofcom. They will investigate the announced change of T-Mobile's FUP if they receive enough complaints. I wonder how many that would be.

Have a look at: ZDnet Uk on this issue

I think it's a great opportunity to cancel the contract. In particular one should be able to keep any mobile that came with such a contract.

zurpher

zurpher

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Devices:HTC DESIRE S

They are not because THREE have announced that they lift the 1 GB cap to truly unlimited. See my link that I have posted above for background information.

squirreleater

squirreleater

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero/Nexus one/Galaxy S
  • Twitter:@squirreleater1
There are lots of stories flying around at the moment, the story seems to be that Tmob are taking the line that they haven't changed anything that isn't a core function and their definition of what is considered fair use has been 'doctored' to suit the 500mb limit, they are using that as their get out clause currently.
but,
Ofcom are now looking into it and noises coming out via twitter from various people/blogs/forums is that Tmob are possibly going to be in the wrong on this, I've seen pasted conversations with Tmob saying that their legal team is going to be advising soon.

my hunch is that they will have to back down over existing contracts, Orange did this with some T+C changes and went through the same sort of thing, lots of conflicting stories followed by a stonewall response and finally backing down when the noise got too loud as Ofcom and others started to take notice.

Keep with it, email,phone and write, eventually they will back down and allow cancellation or existing allowances to be honoured.

(I hope!)

Stuart.

People to follow on twitter:

@PaulOBrien -The main man here!
@modacoandroid -News postings from ModacoAndroid.
@squirreleater1 -That'll be me. (Full on Android fanboi!)<cough>
@christonge - fellow news team member.

uk786

uk786

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:ѕмarтpнoneѕ, ѕaмѕυng, noĸιa, ѕyмвιan, androιd, нтc,
  • Devices:т-мoвιle g2 (нтc нero)
This is outrageous man, good thingI got a three contract now which has 1gb allowance but have just recently upgraded to the one plan which has more mins and unlimited internet allowance.

Edited by uk786, 11 January 2011 - 08:31 PM.

★Samsung Galaxy S ★Gingerbread 2.3.3 ★Rooted
~

masterpfa

masterpfa

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Music, art, history, photography and traveling
    Not done much of any of these lately!
  • Devices:Nexus 5/Nexus 4/Tegra Note 7
  • Twitter:@masterpfa
Well I'm glad T-Mobile have decided to mention this now. Contract due within the next 2 weeks, guess what I won't be doing T-Mobile?
When will these operators realise that there is a need for more Mobile Data, more and more users require this with the latest batch of smartphones, iPhones, Blackberry's etc. etc.

The best protest is NOT to renew contracts, maybe even go to PAYG, after all the bulk of their income is based on contracts, let these providers try again to win our custom. :D

Edited by masterpfa, 11 January 2011 - 08:48 PM.

LG Nexus 5 (32Gb Black)

LG Nexus 4
Galaxy Nexus
Advent Tegra Note 7

dropbox.png DropBox referal link
Click to get Dropbox and to get an extra free 250mb for us both

phlum

phlum

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade and Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@phlum
I'd just like to point out that my Orange PAYG SIM is on the Dolphin plan and I only get a measly 100mb per £10.

But here's the kicker - I got two £10 vouchers with my San Fran, and (after having lost most of it for no apparent reason) I attempted to access mobile internet today and I was told that I had no credit. Shouldn't I be getting 100mb free? :D

Looks like GiffGaff is the way forward - I've just ordered mine now. It's slightly ironic, actually, since my phone has a big orange square printed on the back of it. :P

About the T-Mobile thing, I think they may be merging with Orange as recently they agreed to allow users to use each others' signal. But you lot probably already know about that, right?
I wonder what they'll be called.

Install Launcher Pro
Notice it's quicker
???
Profit.

Posted Image

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.

masterpfa

masterpfa

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Music, art, history, photography and traveling
    Not done much of any of these lately!
  • Devices:Nexus 5/Nexus 4/Tegra Note 7
  • Twitter:@masterpfa

Looks like GiffGaff is the way forward - I've just ordered mine now.

I have had GiffGaff as a secondary SIM (still under contract) and have had no complaints.
The joke about it is I don't think I use anyway near 500mb, but I take comfort in the fact, currently, that if I need to go over that amount it was available.
Ah well all the other options will now be considered and I may just move away from T-Mobile anyway as my own form of protest, small as it may be, but collectively my fellow MoDaCoees :D we can make a stand,

YES WE CAN!

:P

EDIT: According to Ofcom
Ofcom advice
The telecoms regulator Ofcom told ZDNet UK on Monday that, "if consumers are being notified of a change likely to cause them material detriment, the provider must give the customer one month's notice of the change, and at the same time they must also inform the customer of their right to terminate their contract without penalty if the proposed change is not acceptable to the customer".

As the changes take effect from 1 February, T-Mobile has given less than one month's notice.

"We encourage unhappy consumers to speak with their provider about their concerns," Ofcom's spokesperson said. "If the problem relates to a particular term or condition that you feel is unfair, then you can log your complaint with Ofcom. We monitor complaints about the behaviour of communications providers and if there is a high volume of complaints about a particular issue, we do investigate and take action as required."

Edited by masterpfa, 11 January 2011 - 09:25 PM.

LG Nexus 5 (32Gb Black)

LG Nexus 4
Galaxy Nexus
Advent Tegra Note 7

dropbox.png DropBox referal link
Click to get Dropbox and to get an extra free 250mb for us both

Bibbleq

Bibbleq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

No it's not they changed it before Christmas - http://www.pcpro.co....ted-mobile-data

Three are now unlimited with no FUP and allowed to tether.

squidlr

squidlr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco
I use GiffGaff and love the service they provide, but I'm suspicious that they too will reduce the 'unlimited data' usage at some point this year as T Mobile have done.

shambolic2000

shambolic2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia
I wonder if people can cancel their contracts without paying the early termination fee and also keep their phone..it seems fairly clear that people will be able to cancel their contracts but I wonder about the phone..

living shinigami

living shinigami

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is disgusting!!! I recently upgraded to HTC Desire HD on T mobile and was ready to leave when they asked me to pay £120 for the priviledge, i was put through to retentions and the chap explained that they could match their online offer but i would loose the discount i got from a tie in scheme with an old work place. The only reason i stayed at Tmobile is because he promised 3gb fair usage allowance on all Android phones which was the only difference i could find between their priceplans and others in the same range.

They will be getting a Gob Full tomorrow when their customer services open again!!!

pfsykes

pfsykes

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire MCR8 WIP
  • Twitter:@pfsykes
Hi I spoke to tmob yester day and they said that my account for data will drop from 3gb to 2.5gb. thats not so bad. however im not happy at the notice period. ie NONE.
Peter

squirreleater

squirreleater

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero/Nexus one/Galaxy S
  • Twitter:@squirreleater1
Hi All,

I've been following this on twitter quite a lot since it broke. I will post various links on the front page for information.
There is no guarantee anything will work if TMobile stonewall, even though it is obviously bang out of order and very dubious legally.
Personally I've found Bitterwallet have a good history of this as does Money saving Forums.

Links will be added as I find them.

Cheers,
Stuart.

People to follow on twitter:

@PaulOBrien -The main man here!
@modacoandroid -News postings from ModacoAndroid.
@squirreleater1 -That'll be me. (Full on Android fanboi!)<cough>
@christonge - fellow news team member.

katun79

katun79

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Devices:SGS2, LG O2x, Motor Backflip
  • Twitter:@katun79
I'm SOOOO happy to be an h3g Italy customer!!
T-mobile sucks!!!

I have 2 sim with h3g Italy, my first number has an old "Super internet" option, 3GB/month for 5€ without any other limit.
The other sim card has the new "Super Internet 2010" option, same price but only 100MB/day, ok same GB/month but I prefer to be able to download a new modaco rom using my 3g network...
I have hated h3g for this new limitation, but It still good compared to T-Mobile!!!
500MB/month ARE NOT ENOUGH!!! :D

If you want to make a donation click on this button and buy me a coffee :)
Posted Image

feelmychi

feelmychi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Heya everyone, be sure to send T-mobile a copy of the following with your name signed at the bottom! ^__^

http://cantankerous.co.uk/?p=499

T-mobile Pulse (Huawei U8220) running Tom G's Cyanogen Mod 6
HTC 7 Mozart! Soooooooo much better than ^ =]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users