The PERFECT Advent Vega

Guest bazzlad

Guest bazzlad

Just a heads up in case it's coming over like that - this isn't a "demands" list - just a how to improve a pretty tasty device.

Righto,

I think with more and more devs coming on board it may be useful for them (Us?, Everyone?) to have a list of gripes/requests they can help us out with. Cause one thing is for certain - the Vega is a wonderfully flawed piece of kit.

• The List
  • A correct implementation of power collapse so that timer events work in suspend.
  • Better filesystem support (NTFS in particular).
  • Optional keep wifi connected while the device is in sleep mode.
  • 3g connectivity - via USB dongle or internal chip.
  • If the hardware supports it (and I have a fuzzy memory of reading somewhere that it does), three- or four-finger multitouch would be useful.
    --------------
  • Review Volume Control
  • Better video playback/more formats
  • Smoother Flash Playback
    --------------
  • Allow wifi to connect to adhoc networks (Possible, but would be nice to be built in)
  • Ability to use USB control pad (This may just be me!)
  • Fully working Accelerometer (Partially done but causes other bugs)
  • Full screen notification mode (Partially done but causes other bugs*)

App Issues
  • Ability to stream video from network (Possible with limited formats using UPnPlay)

And Just to remind us where we've come from:
  • Smaller Notification Bar (Done)
  • Full Google Suite (Done)
  • USB Host Mode (Done)
  • Ability to view network drives (Done using Estrongs File Explorer)

Thoughts? Any one else got any suggestions?

Edited by bazzlad

Guest worto03

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's possible but I'd like to see NTFS support or at least something that will let me use files bigger than 4gb in size.

Oh and an easy way to tether the vega to ad-hoc wi-fi connections

apart from that you've already listed my main ones

Ability to stream video from network

Ability to view network drives

Guest bazzlad
# Ability to stream video from network

Done with UPnPlay but so far only avi will stream so no mp4 with higher resolutions.

Does it stream stream?

I have an UPnPlay server, and the player seemed to download the file before playing?!

Guest bazzlad
Hi,

I'm not sure if it's possible but I'd like to see NTFS support or at least something that will let me use files bigger than 4gb in size.

apart from that you've already listed my main ones

Ability to stream video from network

The G Tablet XDA Rom has the ability to read ntfs - I think it's a kernal based changed, so possible.

Does it stream stream?

I have an UPnPlay server, and the player seemed to download the file before playing?!

It streams streams for me, I'll do a video later for you.

Guest doliveras

This is already possible using ES Fileexplorer application. I use this to access to my shared folders on a windows machine and a NAS.

Guest zzleezz

I use tversity to serve the videos on my network. Works very nice. Just need a bit better codec support.

+1 for estrongs. Access all my shares this way.

+1 for ntfs.

Also my flash playback is perfect.

Pretty sure all the little niggles I have (minor stuff not worth going into) will be sorted by devs when the source finally drops. Happy to play with it even with the niggles.

Guest Yogimax

I have a HTC Desire running Paul's version of Froyo and the Vega tethers seamlessly from it with the default Android WiFi tethering.

Guest Pombolo

the UPnPlay is not necessary for me, but the ability to read any media from a NAS is really needed, for music listening i only know DS Audio and 2Player, for videos there s nothing, for any text format there s nothing too (or i dont ve find them)

Guest worto03

brill thanks for the info guys - Estrongs File Explorer works brill - connects to a share on my NAS and streams or copies the video files to my vega :D

I have a HTC Desire running Paul's version of Froyo and the Vega tethers seamlessly from it with the default Android WiFi tethering.

Thats probably because the HTC Desire creates a proper network instead of an ad-hoc one - I have a nokia E51 which will only create ad-hoc mode networks that the vega can't connect to :P

Guest Touch Graphite

Although Im not one to turn around and demand issues fixed from people that do this for free using their own precious time, I give immense respect to those that even port or reverse engineer antyhing from other platforms, let alone programming themselves.

One thing Id like to see, which isnt covered, is to stream media over the net from Network drives which are already configured into Local networks back home.

Although I dont own one, Id pretty much fall over and buy one and give this 500Gb WD drive to relatives.

Guest Touch Graphite
You can already stream pretty much anything to the vega as long as it plays it in the first place there is a few apps that do it just fine.

Over the net though!? Or did you miss me mentioning that!? (No trying to be sarky there)

Guest bazzlad
Although Im not one to turn around and demand issues fixed from people that do this for free using their own precious time, I give immense respect to those that even port or reverse engineer antyhing from other platforms, let alone programming themselves.

Just a heads up in case it's coming over like that - this isn't a "demands" list.

We're getting new devs on the device quite often, and they may well appreciate a list of things that don't work well on the vega (as well as potential buyers)!

Guest emergant
Over the net though!? Or did you miss me mentioning that!? (No trying to be sarky there)

You've lost me there. Internal LAN vs external network is mostly down to how you configure the server/router and handle DNS. The tablet doesn't much care? Ofcourse the bigger issue will be security. I'd suggest openssh or go the whole hog with openvpn. There may be some difficulty doing this securely but its only a security issue not a streaming issue unless I'm missing something

Guest trevor432990

Here's my 2p worth :-

• Cure to over sensitive screen when power supply connected without having to replace any hardware
  • Side bar option to reserve space for sliding your finger on whilst scrolling up and down to avoid the pain of accidentally clicking on something unintentionally
  • The 'Back' icon in the top-right of the screen is 'always' there but why can't it disappear when that option is not available
  • No multi-user capability so cannot keep personal preferences/ settings / data for individual users
  • Long pressing on keys in order to reach hidden functions or menus. There should be some 'visible' indicator to show that long pressing can be performed
  • Blue sky idea - Use the built-in camera to pickup hand gestures to control scrolling, selection, etc similar to MS Kinect :D

Guest Touch Graphite
You've lost me there. Internal LAN vs external network is mostly down to how you configure the server/router and handle DNS. The tablet doesn't much care? Ofcourse the bigger issue will be security. I'd suggest openssh or go the whole hog with openvpn. There may be some difficulty doing this securely but its only a security issue not a streaming issue unless I'm missing something

OK, well I wanted to access a LAN connected network drive which is accessible over a network configured in the home (through a router) but is also accessible remotely.

You seemed to work out what I was on about but after explaining whats needed, think i'll leave that one until something gmote spec comes out thats SIMPLES.