The PERFECT Advent Vega

Guest bazzlad

Guest Pombolo
brill thanks for the info guys - Estrongs File Explorer works brill - connects to a share on my NAS and streams or copies the video files to my vega :D

Thats probably because the HTC Desire creates a proper network instead of an ad-hoc one - I have a nokia E51 which will only create ad-hoc mode networks that the vega can't connect to :P

I use ES File Explorer too and the stream stop after 10 seconds, saying stream isn t possible. The problem came from the default video player, i try to use another one by default but it s only working with the files on the tablet, not for the network files.

What video player are you using and how can you read your NAS files with it ? thanks

There is already a fix available to allow connecting to ad-hoc wifi networks (I connect to my HTC Hero fine and it is all working well) and Orb streams any media to the vega perfectly in flash format and this works over the internet as well as locally.

Guest worto03
I use ES File Explorer too and the stream stop after 10 seconds, saying stream isn t possible. The problem came from the default video player, i try to use another one by default but it s only working with the files on the tablet, not for the network files.

What video player are you using and how can you read your NAS files with it ? thanks

Sorry, I thought it was just the format of the files I was using but all of my media does the same - it starts to stream but instead comes up with that error then copies the whole file to the SDcard befroe playing it fine - I couldn't find any options to change the player either.

There is already a fix available to allow connecting to ad-hoc wifi networks (I connect to my HTC Hero fine and it is all working well) and Orb streams any media to the vega perfectly in flash format and this works over the internet as well as locally.

Yes I saw that thread which is why I put 'an easy way to tether' - I've not even risked the clockwork mod yet due to other people having problems with it. Maybe I'll give it a go and see how I get on.

Edited by worto03

Guest SilentMobius
Better video playback/more formats

Unlikely, unless someone rips custom libs from another tegra2 device that some other manufacturer has paid to have mkv/dts/ac3 added.

Ability to stream video from network (Possible with limited formats using UPnPlay)

This is just an app issue, not a rom one

Smoother Flash Playback

All up to Adobe and Nvidia

Better filesystem support (NTFS in particular).

Possible when we get the kernel source.

Allow wifi to connect to adhoc networks

Already possible, fixes exist in this forum

3g connectivity - via USB dongle or internal chip.

Possible with kernel source but unlikely to be universal, devs may support a specific device (personally I tether to my N1 that way I don't need to pay an additional £15 a month)

Ability to use USB control pad (This may just be me!)

Problematic (There are a lot of them and they are quite different) but possible with kernel source

Fully working Accelerometer (Partially done but causes other bugs)

We're unlikely to speed it up but flipping the axes should happen eventually.

Full screen notification mode (Partially done but causes other bugs*)

AOSP-type builds should solve this.

For me the #1 oh-my-god-this-is-bugging-me problem is:

A correct implementation of power collapse so that timer events work in suspend! People are asking for the wi-fi to say on when the screen if off but if they get that they'll realize that the CPU isn't even running! (Try setting an alarm, it only fires when you switch the machine back on).

Facebook/Twitter/RSS/battery indicator/contact/email, non of that even fires while the screen is off regardless of wi-fi.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest removed-14

SilentMobius has nailed it. A lot of what is asked for is already available as a hack, waiting for the kernel source or can be solved by third party apps.

Lets not start demanding that things are fixed, features adding etc. I'm just happy with the work Paul (and others) have done. Anything else is a bonus. Soon the option to sell the Vega and buy a tablet which has most of these things sorted along with a build of Honeycomb will come along.

Guest James Muscat

If the hardware supports it (and I have a fuzzy memory of reading somewhere that it does), three- or four-finger multitouch would be useful...

Guest Bobbler

USB Joystick input - this may actually not be that difficult to accomplish in another way. As a keyboard works anyway why not do like a lot of the home arcade users do and rip the keyboard encoder and wire to a joystick? Cheap USB keyboard, old PS2 joypad. Done

The other way is just use a Wii one via bluetooth. Works great for me on SNES emulator, still need to get a classic controller sorted though for correct button placements.

Final option I have found but getting rare to get hold of - MSI BGP100 and the Gamepro app/driver from the store.

Oooh better yet - http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/NintendoWiigp47epbpy/

Wireless Wii controller without the need to use a remote and a wired classic unit :D

Edited by Bobbler

Guest bazzlad
SilentMobius has nailed it. A lot of what is asked for is already available as a hack, waiting for the kernel source or can be solved by third party apps.

Lets not start demanding that things are fixed, features adding etc. I'm just happy with the work Paul (and others) have done. Anything else is a bonus. Soon the option to sell the Vega and buy a tablet which has most of these things sorted along with a build of Honeycomb will come along.

I appreciate the thought, but I've said multiple times this isn't a demands list, this is simply a list of gripes everyone has, that will be ticked off as they get fixed, leaving us with the ULTIMATE tablet(ish).

:D

Guest removed-14
I appreciate the thought, but I've said multiple times this isn't a demands list, this is simply a list of gripes everyone has, that will be ticked off as they get fixed, leaving us with the ULTIMATE tablet(ish).

:D

I appreciate and agree that a list is needed. However I think (if there isn't already one) a Vega wiki is needed for this sort of thing.

Guest Lennyuk
USB Joystick input - this may actually not be that difficult to accomplish in another way. As a keyboard works anyway why not do like a lot of the home arcade users do and rip the keyboard encoder and wire to a joystick? Cheap USB keyboard, old PS2 joypad. Done

The other way is just use a Wii one via bluetooth. Works great for me on SNES emulator, still need to get a classic controller sorted though for correct button placements.

Final option I have found but getting rare to get hold of - MSI BGP100 and the Gamepro app/driver from the store.

Oooh better yet - http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/NintendoWiigp47epbpy/

Wireless Wii controller without the need to use a remote and a wired classic unit :P

I like the look of that controller and the price is not bad, if someone else can get one and confirm it works then I will purchase one :D

Guest Bobbler
I like the look of that controller and the price is not bad, if someone else can get one and confirm it works then I will purchase one :D

Don't think it should be an issue as the wii controller works. Will get one in a couple of weeks to try it. Otherwise I am going to hack a ps2 controller with a keyboard interface to emulators

Don't think it should be an issue as the wii controller works. Will get one in a couple of weeks to try it. Otherwise I am going to hack a ps2 controller with a keyboard interface to emulators

I like the idea of the "Datel Wii Wireless Retro Controller". It would be nice, if someone could confirm, that it works with the Advent Vega. Or is there a possibility to use a Microsoft-USB-Gamepad?

Guest Bobbler
I like the idea of the "Datel Wii Wireless Retro Controller". It would be nice, if someone could confirm, that it works with the Advent Vega. Or is there a possibility to use a Microsoft-USB-Gamepad?

Ms one (I tried wired 360 controller this afternoon) powers but stays in the mode with the green lights flashing and doesn't work as input in snesoid. I have a few others up in the loft that I might try out too yet. But either this or a keyboard based hack s looking to be the best route at the mo

• 2 months later...