Unrevoked doesn't work - Problems with latest Android Version?

Guest C:S

Hi,

I've tried to root my Desire using Unrevoked³, but it always fails after rebooting the device, saying "Communications with phone unexpectedly interrupted. Try again." (I made sure that HTC Sync has been removed)

The Desire has Hboot 0.93.0001 and "Software-Information" says: Kernel-Version "2.6.32.15-gf5a401c htc-kernel@and18-2 #1", Software-Number "2.29.405.5" (might be important...)

Yesterday I have read in Android 2.2.1 Google fixed an issue regarding the USB-Debugging-Modus, but I couldn't find any hints on this in Unrevoked's wiki.

I'd really appreciate your help, because the more I read through tutorials like this or this the more I get confused about which way is the right one - I hoped Unrevoked³ could bail me out.

Any ideas?

C:S

Guest dreamdealer
Hi,

I've tried to root my Desire using Unrevoked³, but it always fails after rebooting the device, saying "Communications with phone unexpectedly interrupted. Try again." (I made sure that HTC Sync has been removed)

The Desire has Hboot 0.93.0001 and "Software-Information" says: Kernel-Version "2.6.32.15-gf5a401c htc-kernel@and18-2 #1", Software-Number "2.29.405.5" (might be important...)

Yesterday I have read in Android 2.2.1 Google fixed an issue regarding the USB-Debugging-Modus, but I couldn't find any hints on this in Unrevoked's wiki.

I'd really appreciate your help, because the more I read through tutorials like this or this the more I get confused about which way is the right one - I hoped Unrevoked³ could bail me out.

Any ideas?

C:S

try to downgrade your HBOOT using this tutorial LINK also read though some of the post there may be easier way of doing it like HERE, I personalty never had to do this but its a start.

Edited by dreamdealer

I just rooted my phone on that version using unrEVOked 3.31 (now 3.32) and had no issues

Hmpf, is there any other way to root a Desire with that version? I know there are many tutorials in this forum, but as I said, I'm not sure which one fits -.-

try to downgrade your HBOOT using this tutorial LINK also read though some of the post there may be easier way of doing it like HERE, I personalty never had to do this but its a start.

Thank you for these links, but I definitely don't want my phone's data to be deleted, so unfortunatly that's no option for me :D

Guest gambieter
(I made sure that HTC Sync has been removed)

Is this a branded Desire, or a SIM-lock free Desire? I recently used Unrevoked with the same versions and had no problem.

When you removed HTC Sync, did you leave the drivers?

Is this a branded Desire, or a SIM-lock free Desire? I recently used Unrevoked with the same versions and had no problem.

When you removed HTC Sync, did you leave the drivers?

It's SIM-lock free. I've left the drivers (otherwise Unrevoked wouldn't start, I tried it).

I just fired up my Notebook (Ubuntu 10.04) and tried the Unrevoked Linux-version, same error. In addition the console says

ERROR: n = -1, errno = 19 (No such device)

ERROR: n = -1, errno = 19 (No such device)

Tried to root the new Desire of a friend and the whole procedure equals my case, including the error. Both Desires have the latest updates and same version numbers (Kernel, Build etc.).

Edited by C:S

Guest Asselberghs

Are you using Windows? or Linux? or Mac?

When I helped a friend we tried Unrevoked on Windows, it came up with errors and started to freak me out a bit.

He had trusted me with his phone and the root to work and it seemed I failed him, at least in my eyes, as it diden´t go as smooth as my rooting experience went.

Then we booted up on a Ubuntu live disc and ran Unrevoked for linux and it went through and rooted the phone.

Also theres no need for hboot drivers when rooting on Linux IIRC.

Try to root using Unrevoked under a linux distro´s live disc, I´d recommend Ubuntu.

Kind Regards

Asselberghs

Are you using Windows? or Linux? or Mac?

When I helped a friend we tried Unrevoked on Windows, it came up with errors and started to freak me out a bit.

He had trusted me with his phone and the root to work and it seemed I failed him, at least in my eyes, as it diden´t go as smooth as my rooting experience went.

Then we booted up on a Ubuntu live disc and ran Unrevoked for linux and it went through and rooted the phone.

Also theres no need for hboot drivers when rooting on Linux IIRC.

Try to root using Unrevoked under a linux distro´s live disc, I´d recommend Ubuntu.

Kind Regards

Asselberghs

Allready tried this, had no luck... I'm using Windows 7 64 bit

Can only recommend trying another usb cable as another user suggested or a different OS as also suggested. Works fine for me too.

I'm going to try that this evening, but if that should be the reason it would be weird...

Guest BashyUK
Nope, no success :D

Eh?! Well you are certainly a member of an elite club!

So you have basically run ubuntu directly off a cd and run Unrevoked with the phone in charge only mode with usb debugging enabled and it fails? Also in windows in charge only and usb debugging enabled and it still fails? And then again with a different cable? It's not possible! It must work!

So you have basically run ubuntu directly off a cd

Well, it was a "real" installation, but that shouldn't be the problem, i think...

It's not possible! It must work!

Yeah...

I can't put my fingertips on it, but I got the impression, that my desire is somehow too slow for Unrevoked. After rebooting, Unrevoked tries to "run root" (or something), fails and not until then the USB-connection Icon in the top bar appears. I know that's some kind of naiv, but I got the feeling Unrevoked doesn't wait long enough.

Apart from that, could it be a problem with the German-version of Android?

Guest BashyUK
Well, it was a "real" installation, but that shouldn't be the problem, i think...

Yeah...

I can't put my fingertips on it, but I got the impression, that my desire is somehow too slow for Unrevoked. After rebooting, Unrevoked tries to "run root" (or something), fails and not until then the USB-connection Icon in the top bar appears. I know that's some kind of naiv, but I got the feeling Unrevoked doesn't wait long enough.

Apart from that, could it be a problem with the German-version of Android?

Yeah my ubuntu is also installed.

I think you need to get in touch with Unrevoked support.

Random thought, try using unrEVOked 3.21 - someone on XDA on 2.29.405.5 having issues used it and it worked

Worth a try, although I still don't see how you're having issues

Random thought, try using unrEVOked 3.21 - someone on XDA on 2.29.405.5 having issues used it and it worked

Worth a try, although I still don't see how you're having issues

Do you know where to get this version?