Mobile Broadband dongles

Guest dukla2000

Guest ajpepe72

Same with me, i have the E1550, i have sent the modem the AT command using putty on my XP machine, the modem is flashing blue when in the vega, but when you go to select network it just stays on 'searching' with nothing found ?

Guest richard_hogg

Hi,

I have a ZTE MF112 on 3. The Vega seems to spot it, it scans networks and I can connect to one of the '3' networks it finds. I get signal bars but no data access it would appear.

I created an APN with the '3internet' APN name (and tried the three.co.uk APN too).

Any ideas? (I did switch off the internal CD ROM too).

Guest sratty1

hi guys i have the same problem and i also have a signal ive managed to connect my dongle to my vega and it seeit it but now have no idea how to get it to connect to the web !!! its a pay as you go dongle and i cant figure out the last part can anyone shed light on the final settings ?

thanks Sean

Edited by sratty1

Guest sn0wwhite

This may be a ridiculous query lol but here goes iff i buy a dongle can i use my spare contract sim that has unlimited data on it ? Or has it got to be a specific sim?

Guest richardmlea

This may be a ridiculous query lol but here goes iff i buy a dongle can i use my spare contract sim that has unlimited data on it ? Or has it got to be a specific sim?

If its an older usim (for a 3g phone) you can put it in and use it (although you will be breaching your contract restrictions). It may work for a short time but you will quickly find you dont really have unlimited internet (no matter what the advertisment said whan you took out your contract). Check the T.C.'s of your 3 contract, if you use more than 500mb of data in a day that counts as excessive use and you will be capped. If you have a newer plan from 3 with 'all you can eat data' they are unlimited data but only if used in a phone (and they know from the IMEI number that its a modem not a phone). Therfore they are unlimited for data but still restricted. Clever marketing.

Guest sn0wwhite

Cool thanks for the response there not sily lol. Just didnt want to have another contract as id probably not use it much anyway. Its a tmobile sim from my old iphone 3gs i might try it see what happens.

• 4 months later...
Guest ninjahamster

Hi there - I'm trying to get my Three 3G dongle working - I've disabled CD mode on the dongle, but when I plug it into my VegaComb Vega it asks connects, lets me search for networks, but won't let me setup an APN.

if I add an APN then it doesn't seem to save it at all?

Anyone got any tips?

Guest ninjahamster

Got it working - it didn't like being in USB host mode before I plugged in my dongle - works brilliantly.

Cheers for everyone that has worked on this - saves me buying a MiFi for now :)

Guest simonta

Hi there - I'm trying to get my Three 3G dongle working - I've disabled CD mode on the dongle, but when I plug it into my VegaComb Vega it asks connects, lets me search for networks, but won't let me setup an APN.

if I add an APN then it doesn't seem to save it at all?

Anyone got any tips?

I've got an Huawei E353 from Three. Is yours the same?

I've disabled CD and MicroSD and tried switching to host mode before and after plugging in the dongle but get the same results as you.

Any other steps you took?

Cheers

Edited by simonta

• 4 months later...
Guest Bogside

Sorry to open an oldish thread but I am really struggling to get my 3 dongle to work. It's a Huawei E160g. I get a green then blue flashing light. But I can't get on to step 5 of the bakedbean method. I can't get to the point of opening the wireless settings menu.

I have also tried to create an APN for the dongle but, whilst it will allow me to create it, it then doesn't appear.

I'm running Vegacombe and wonder if that is part of the problem?

Well if you are working with the Honey comb version the process chage a little, until you have a flshing led on your huawei that indicate two things firs the dongle has conected as external storage device, or its ready to set the apn.

if the first case you need turn in off that option

Guest Bogside

Well if you are working with the Honey comb version the process chage a little, until you have a flshing led on your huawei that indicate two things firs the dongle has conected as external storage device, or its ready to set the apn.

if the first case you need turn in off that option

Sorry, but I don't understand this response. I have got a flashing LED (it starts green and then turns to blue)> What should I be doing next?

Guest richardmlea

Sorry to open an oldish thread but I am really struggling to get my 3 dongle to work. It's a Huawei E160g. I get a green then blue flashing light. But I can't get on to step 5 of the bakedbean method. I can't get to the point of opening the wireless settings menu.

I have also tried to create an APN for the dongle but, whilst it will allow me to create it, it then doesn't appear.

I'm running Vegacombe and wonder if that is part of the problem?

What version of honeycomb are you using? Some versions don’t have working 3g.

When trouble shooting 3g I always install corvus5 with the phone apk's and test in there. It's simple to set-up (once you know how to access the 3g setting which are hidden a little) and it works solidly for testing. If I can get the modem working with an operating system I know works well I then try it on the new operation system (Vegacomb, VegaICS ect.).

Just to check, have you disabled the CD ROM emulation on the modem?

Guest Bogside

Thanks for the response Richard. I'm running vegacomb 3.2 Update 3

I think I have disabled CD ROM emulation - though not sure how to check.

Edit:

Ran through disabling CD ROM emulation. Just fired the VEGA up again and all seems to work fine. TYVM for all the help.

Edited by Bogside